Which would you run...

Alejandro 10

Barefooters
Jul 13, 2011
My wife and I are considering running either the Merrell Naked Foot 5K in Nashville or Merrell Down and Dirty Mud Run in Atlanta. I would be up for the 10K, but I am confident that she'll only be prepared for the 5K and we would like to run together, so 5K it is. The former is on October 15th and the latter on the 16th.

http://www.thenakedfoot5k.com/events/nashville-tn/

http://www.downanddirtymudrun.com/register.cfm

Price is a factor for us, but for the sake of argument let us say all things are equal. I hope to get some other perspectives.

That said, which would you personally choose and why?

Gracia y paz,

A

OK, I'll bite, a nibble at

OK, I'll bite, a nibble at least. First, though, do you run BF or Min?

Mud Runs can be a bit iffy for BF. You might not know what your feet are actually going to encounter.

On the other hand, a 5K goes by awfully quickly. Depending on where you are in your running career, that might be a good thing.

Joseph,I run barefoot 90 to

Joseph,

I run barefoot 90 to 95% of the time and would say 100% but when I am forced on the dreadmill for any reason I am in VFF Sprints. (Our community gym doesn't allow barefeet.) My wife has been running less and less in her Sprints and Pace Gloves, but is at about 3 miles barefoot a week compared to my 10 to 12.

One thing that piqued my interest on the Down and Dirty 5K was the willingness of Merrell to open it to Gospel truth barefooting. Thanks to TJ for getting on Robillard if I remember correctly.

One the other hand I just read that Barefoot Ken Bob will be at the Nashville event which is equally interesting.

Gracia y paz,

A

Without the Ken Bob part I'd

Without the Ken Bob part I'd say mud run for the fun of it but I wouldn't mind meeting and hoping for a chance to get a few tips from Ken Bob if the opportunity presented itself.

How about both?  I'm

How about both? I'm considering both myself.

Then again, my local shod

Then again, my local shod running club's annual 31st 15K and 5K are on that day. Hmmmm. I could do some representing for barefoot runners there.

Definitely the mud!! I did it

Definitely the mud!! I did it last year (in VFFs) and had a blast. Trying to talk my husband into doing it with me this year. Just carry your shoes just in case. But really... the mud is so much fun!

As I have sat on things over

As I have sat on things over night I have started to think it would be valuable to get form feedback from Saxton and Robillard. Maybe more so for my wife.

TJ,Doing both is something

TJ,

Doing both is something we are squarely placing in the "want" column. Doing one or the other seems to be more feasible, but as the time draws nearer we might be able to shift both out of the "want" and into the "possible."

a

I would pick the closer race

I would pick the closer race probably, I have preferences to trail runs also. I ran with KenBob once at a meetup and that is a good thing to do...doing both would be great running weekend!

I'll be running the Merrell Down and Dirty in Atlanta...planning barefoot. The race course is close to my drive home from work so I will start running there next week to check for barefoot friendlyness...should be fine but I'll recon it anyway.

But will it be muddy for you

But will it be muddy for you at the time you test it out, Mokie?

people are making choices

people are making choices based on the run... i was making choices based on how fun the cities are... i think i might need to hit up an AA meeting. hahahaha.

I vote Nashville, because i would rather spend a weekend there than atlanta. ;)

zapmamak wrote:Definitely the

zapmamak said:
Definitely the mud!! I did it last year (in VFFs) and had a blast. Trying to talk my husband into doing it with me this year. Just carry your shoes just in case. But really... the mud is so much fun!

Mud run hands down. 5k's are a dime a dozen. Meeting Jason and KB would be fun, but I don't think as much as a mud run.

I'd choose the mud run.  My

I'd choose the mud run. My wife and I did Muddy Buddies and had a blast. We're signed up for the Merrell Down and Dirty in Richmond in a couple of weeks.

Barefoot TJ wrote:But will it

Barefoot TJ said:
But will it be muddy for you at the time you test it out, Mokie?

TJ - it won't be that muddy unless it rains except the crawl thru the mud pit and maybe some water crossings.

Can you run them both back to

Can you run them both back to back and make them a longer run ? ;)

I terribly dislike short sprint races. They are painful.

Having said that, I love mud, do the mud!

AABarefoot wrote:people are

AABarefoot said:
people are making choices based on the run... i was making choices based on how fun the cities are... i think i might need to hit up an AA meeting. hahahaha.

I vote Nashville, because i would rather spend a weekend there than atlanta. ;)

OK, I am dense, I never really put together your name and AA

I am a long time friend with Bill too

Shouldn't that be BA then?

Shouldn't that be BA then?

Zap and Joseph,Thanks for

Zap and Joseph,

Thanks for your suggestions. I think you are both on to something albeit different things. I do enjoy a nice slosh through some squishy mud, and meeting Ken Bob could also be a nice experience.

Gracia y paz,

a