Which training plan for HM?

Pigwig

Barefooters
Aug 17, 2013
Hi, anyone have an recommendations for a HM plan?
Anyone do HM'S? What are your times, experiences etc. do you keep up with those in trainers or are BF'ers infamous (sorry, can't think of another word) for being near the back? I was always at the back anyone, perhaps I need to start the day before lol.
Please discuss and share your thoughts....

Thanks

Shod, newb rushing for a full, found http://www.jeffgalloway.com/ useful to enjoy steady gains -- and surprising to me, my run-walk-run times were faster than just running. :p

Now BF only, the current plan is just to run till about 10 miles, then over that, run-walk-run from the start.

FWIW, about 2 years ago, a poster on RW's BF forum mentioned if you deplete your mitochondria once a week, your body thinks it's just a fluke. If more than once/week, cells come back with more of these energy organelles.

I got tired of the carbo-loading dinners before LRs. Research papers promote fat-burning (HR below aerobic, and BTW Maf) as more efficient. Birds do this -- fat, higher energy density than carbohydrates, using this => no "wall" from glycogen depletion.

humble $0.02. (newb [and noob lol] in awe by all you Ultra Rock Stars :) )

when is you HM and what's your longest distance so far?

do you keep up with those in trainers or are BF'ers infamous (sorry, can't think of another word) for being near the back?

Check out all the posts in the race reports section, there are several of us here that are pretty fast. I've done 3 half marathons and the last two I was around the top 10%. Maybe not super fast yet, but still respectable I think. And look at Dama's sig line above
thumb.gif

I haven't used any kind of training plan yet, but thats not to say I wouldnt have been better off if I did. I only recently started re-thinking my training with my upcoming marathon, though its too late to make any real changes now. So my first marathon will be attempted with no real training plan. Though I do intend to bring my training more inline with these plans for my next one - I briefly discuss this in the last few posts on my thread in the training section, since pilotrunner chimed in and gave me his plan and said mine has some deficiencies.

Reactions: Barefoot Dama
I was supposed to do a HM at the beginning of August. My plan was to do two 5-to-7-mile runs during the week, and then add a mile each month to my long runs on the weekend, until I reached 14-15 miles per long run after 7-8 months. Having a specific goal in mind messed with my head though, and made me do too much too soon. I fell behind on my plan, and this further messed with my head. Then, mercifully, my wife nixed the HM after the Boston Marathon Massacre in the spring.

This needlessly nervous nixing freed me up to playfully progress at my own pace. After many months I built up good running fitness staying in the 8-to-9-mile range for my long runs. Then, a week after August's missed HM, I decided to run close to 12 miles. It was easy. I took the long run distance back down for another few weeks, began trying to run everyday, and now for two weeks I've run two HM-ish distances per week, just for fun, with no sweaty bodies next to me.

Will this 'training plan' work for you? Probably not, especially if it requires another bombing at a mass event. But I think the lesson I learned is to just keep running as you please, and add distance when you're ready. When your long run is HM distance, or whatever race distance you're shooting for, then sign up, not before. I think this might even work for a marathon. If and when I can run 20 miles comfortably, I'll figure I'm ready to sign up for a marathon, if the racing bug bites again. But I would never say I gotta run 20 miles by such-and-such a date. No way José. Not me.

I have done only one half and never trained for anything before that I just ran the races because I though I could but never expected to do as well as I did. In fact my longest run when going into the half was 10mi.
Then the itch to try a full marathon set in and I did train for that and I hated it, I hated the fact that I didn't like a piece of paper to tell me how far and how fast I sould run. I stuck wiht the plan because I had no idea how hard running a marathon would be.
But after that I said to myself that I never, never again I'll be following any training plan but my own:D
Now when I run I just listen to what the little voices in my head tell me to:D
Thanks Tristan:embarrassed:

Hi, anyone have an recommendations for a HM plan?
Anyone do HM'S? What are your times, experiences etc. do you keep up with those in trainers or are BF'ers infamous (sorry, can't think of another word) for being near the back? I was always at the back anyone, perhaps I need to start the day before lol.
Please discuss and share your thoughts....

Thanks

I just started training for my first half marathon. I will attach (hopefully) my self made training plan -which is based upon my experience, my trial and error, other peoples' writing, and other peoples' trial and error. It is only ever a guideline, and modifications will be made as necessary. My number one goal in ALL physical activity is to LISTEN TO MY BODY. And that will always take precedence over any "plan".

My mileage stars in this plan, at 15 miles a week, because that is what I have been consistently running, on average, for close to a year now.

I am a HUGE advocate of strength training for the entire body -and it is ESPECIALLY important, as a runner, that you do not neglect the other parts of your body that are enabling your legs to run (like your upper body).

Those 4 consecutive rest days in my plan, are because I do not run when I am laying an egg, because it is not safe to run when you have significantly less strength (which is what happens due to the hormone Relaxin, that is released during that time). I will not race during that time either - which is a bit of a psychological mind twist, since my cycle is not regular anymore -so I have to be prepared to cancel races that I may have planned for, months in advance.

I also do not pin my exercise routine, or mileage, to exact days and times, because old(er) age has taught me, that my "plans" rarely go as "planned" -flexibility is the key. I tentatively plan out which days I would like to do what and it is not unusual for me to have TWO times, places, and types of workouts in my mind, for each day, so that just in case one falls through I can probably do the other -this is also one of my "keys" to working out consistently, in general.

Also, you can do A LOT in very little time, when it comes to strength training -quality of the exercises matter the most. That's why my strength training times are so short. I WILL add, that I have learned the hard way that it is super easy to over-do it with weights. ;)

Also, I am primarily a trail runner, so I had to include transition back over to pavement only, since my HM is on pavement. :)

I hope you find this useful. :) Oh crap, I have to copy and paste it directly in here. Poo!

Training Plan for Half Marathon 12 Week Plan

Rest days 4 consecutive rest days per month/overall mileage will decrease during this week, by no more than 25%
1 minimum per week, as needed

Mileage compensation week One week out of the month, I will increase my mileage by 25% of the previous weeks mileage, to compensate the decreased mileage in the upcoming week
Increased mileage weeks will occur by no more than 25% of total mileage the week prior to the week that includes the 4 day consecutive rest period
(I don't "do" percentages, really, but I might have to break out a calculator for that one -cuz I have no real idea what I just said, it just sounded cool) :)

Daily strength exercises for hips I do, and always have done, these daily -as needed, throughout the day- much to the amusement of my instructors, bosses, co-workers, friends and strangers
Water exercises, including swimming 2 x week 30 minutes Emphasis on horizontal movement, gluteus medius, gluteus minimus, hip flexors
Upper body strength training with weights 2 x week 30 minutes Emphasis on all things latissimus dorsi - pull down, pull back, pull up, pull-over (and push-out)
Lower body strength training with weights 2 x week 10-15 minutes Emphasis on vertical movement, squats and lunges

Running Week 1 3 x week 15 mile total mileage 2 pavement runs
Week 2 3 x week 15 mile total mileage 2 pavement runs
Week 3 3 x week 15 mile total mileage 2 pavement runs
Week 4 2 x week 15 mile total mileage 1 pavement run
Week 5 2 x week 15 mile total mileage 1 pavement run
Week 6 3 x week Increase mileage 2 pavement runs
Week 7 3 x week Hold mileage 2 pavement runs
Week 8 3 x week Decrease overall mileage/one run must be 10 miles 2 pavement runs
Week 9 2 x week Decrease overall mileage/one run must be 10 miles 1 pavement run
Week 10 2 x week Decrease overall mileage/one run must be 10 miles All pavement
Week 11 2 x week One run must be 14 miles All pavement
Week 12 2 x week One run must be 14 miles All pavement

September Sunday 15 0
Monday 16 6
Tuesday 17 0
Wednesday 18 0
Thursday 19
Friday 20
Saturday 21

I want to elaborate a little I guess, I mentioned I didn't have any real training plan (prescribed) but I can briefly describe what I have been doing so far thats worked for me up to the half marathon level (and beyond-?). But as many have said, this is just whats been working for me, everyone will be a little different depending on your starting point and your own bodies abilities.

For my first year and a half of running I was a shift worker and my schedule was all over the place ('11 and '12). I worked 12hr shifts, with about an hour drive each way. And I was stuck in a chair the whole time. I flipped around nights / days /weekends etc, the schedule was laid out so you worked the exact equal amount of days and nights, weekdays and weekends- so no shift had a preference. Some weeks I could barely get 1 run in, but then some weeks I had the whole week off and got 3-4 runs in. I really dont even know how I pulled off my first 1/2 with that schedule (summer '12), but I was able to pull off my first half with very scattered unorganized runs up to about 12miles a couple weeks before the race.

This year I was put on straight days mon-fri back in Jan. This has worked much better for training, and I was able to do a slightly more structured approach. But realize by this point I had already done a 1/2, as well as a couple more 13ish mile runs last September, but fall/winter set me way back, dropping down to 1-2 runs a week often with no long runs. But this year I settled in on an every other day run schedule, 3 days a week, sometimes 4. My weekday runs would usually be 4-8 miles. I varied between an easy recovery style run (if it was following a long run from the weekend that I was still feeling), speed work (like 1/2 mile 5k-pace repeats), hills/trail, or just a tempo run. Depending on how I felt, or what park I wanted to go to, would determine which workout I did, but it was mostly random. Recovery and tempo were the most often used ones, but I'd try to get in a trail with hills or speedwork at least once every two weeks. Typical weekday runs would be around 8 miles, and thats about as much as I had time for on a weekday anyhow. Then the weekend would be my long run, and I'd just gradually build up to longer and longer distances, trying not to ever take more than a 10% jump from one week to the next, and often staying at the same mileage for a couple weeks if I didnt feel comfortable moving on yet. I've been doing this all year so far, averaging lately in the mid-30's for weekly mileage, and just recently breaking 20 miles on my long run. And exactly 1yr after my first time hitting 13 miles (my first half marathon last august, 16th/25 in age group,) I did the same half marathon this august and got 3rd/38 in my age group, so I'm definitely improving!

Hope you find a routine that works for you!

Also to add a few more tidbits. After reading many books about marathon/half marathon training, looking at schedules, obsessing, etc, etc... Here is basically a general blueprint you need for any kind of race, just my personal information I've gathered.

Monday - XT or off
Tuesday - General Run
Wed - Tempo run/or Hill run or Mid-Week long run.
Thurs - XT or Off
Fri - General Run
Sat or Sun - Long Run

Tempo Runs
Half Marathon - 6-8 miles
Marathon - 8-10 miles
10-15 minutes warm-up
10-15 minutes cool- down

Twice-weekly long runs in the base-training phase consisting of a medium long run (1.5 hours plus) and a long run (2 hours plus) adequately stretch the envelope of aerobic capacity.

Reactions: dharmadan
I've been away camping for a few days and forgot to check this post, wow you all have so much experience. Thank you.
So, someone asked "what plan", I'm assuming that means they don't run to one, or don't like to. I agree usually, except that I'm finding I'm not really improving much on speed. ActuLly, I don't want to be fast but I also don't want to be an old plodder and at the moment that's how I feel. Also, my furthest distance is only 10k and it took me 1.5 hrs which I know is a really long time. I would love to go further distances, hence the Q's about training for HM, but I feel I need to follow a plan to keep me on track. Put it this way, when I started running I used C25K and ran my first 5k after 2.5 months. Since then (June), I've really only managed one 10k distance, and usually run 6-7km 3/week. This is without following a plan. So, I'm thinking that WITH a plan I get on and do things, whereas W/O I seem to get lazy and just bumble along. I believe it's often referred to as "junk miles". I do hills whenever I need to, I'm not scared by them and sometimes seek them out! However, going faster is much harder, well unpleasant anyway. I get so out of breath and don't enjoy my run. That's why I was asking about plans: most I've seen seem to work on times .they'll say Monday 25 min run, Weds 50min run etc. well, my 50 min would take me about 5.5k so that's not going to get me very far! I think I'm inclined to agree with whoever said not to sign up for HM until comfortable with that distance, I might however still look around for something g to follow. I'll just find one that has it in miles, not times so I know what to aim for!
My first 10k is on Sunday and I will be running in my Xero's. Wish me luck!

Since then (June), I've really only managed one 10k distance, and usually run 6-7km 3/week. This is without following a plan. So, I'm thinking that WITH a plan I get on and do things, whereas W/O I seem to get lazy and just bumble along. I believe it's often referred to as "junk miles".
If you're running 3x per week, I would make two runs 6-7 km, and one run 8-10km. When these distances start to get easy, bump them up a bit, repeat. I think it's good if your two medium runs are about 50-60% percent of your long run distance. For the two medium runs, try pushing the pace a bit if you can, or run fartleks in the middle of them. Or do some hills or intervals. It sounds like you're a recreational runner like I am, so I wouldn't worry about 'junk miles.' I think that concept applies more to highly competitive runners. Just slowly increasing your running volume, and hence aerobic capacity and lower body fitness, will probably get you to where you want to go. As time goes on, you'll gain more awareness of your own running abilities, as well as a sense for what things give you the most benefit. In short, trust the process!

as far as i can tell you were talking about me. i didn't ask what plan, i asked what is this word "plan". i was being facetious. i've been told more than a few cultures have the saying "man plans and god laughs." i follow maffetone training. it's a loose plan for me to follow. no set miles or times for certain days with paces. just a set heart rate with one long run a week. i change my pace and HR according to how i feel. i've improved with it.

if you want a set plan i think everyone will agree to try various ones until you find one you like. i only have one suggestion. don't be in such a hurry to jump into higher distances. take your time and build strength and speed before you double your distances. if you're worried about making a race and following a plan you will push too hard and hurt yourself because that's what your plan called for.

do some strength training and lots of aerobic work and you will get faster. it takes time. oh, have fun at your race.

Ha ha Mig, I guessed you were being sarcastic and I got the irony! But you're right, lots of people don't want to have a plan and on some days I don't either. In fact, I would rather just run for the sake of it and up my mileage. I like BfLee's suggestion so I think I'll try that. Last night I had to cut short at 7.4km and some of that I had to walk at the end, because I've pulled a groin strain. Bugger! I can feel a nice big knot in my glutes when I roller so I'm hoping that between roller and KT tape I can still run on Sunday. It's not for charity just for me to see if I can so if I have to run/walk then I'll do that. Or pull out if absolutely necessary. I'll keep you posted...

Reactions: migangelo

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test