Where to point the casual enquirer?

Piggyback RidePlease

Barefooters
Nov 13, 2010
In the pub last night several people had heard on the grape vine that I'd started barefoot running. Now I did not want to start giving all the reasons why someone might want to do BF, it would take too long, I'd already had a few :beer: and did not want to start climbing up on my high horse to lecture anyone like some mad zealot so I told them that they'd just have to read about it.

One guy did claim that modern running shoes are designed to protect you and demonstrated a heel landing with his hand on the table. I quickly pointed out that he's wrong and tried to summarise why, mentioning some obvious aspects of anatomy like the arch. Luckily he didn't decide to go for the long debate and we moved on.

Take into consideration that these are not people who want to go running but they are curious, have kids that might run and there would be no harm in steering them towards some enlightening info. They probably have no inclination to read "Born to Run" etc. due to their lack of interest in running. Is there an article on the web that you would suggest I point them to which will tell these people why someone would want to go BF, the benefits etc.... the article needs to be engaging and very concise of course...?

If no one can suggest a good site (for the non-runner) then it might be worth the BRS having such a page.

:quest:

To the casual enquirer, I

To the casual enquirer, I simply say that it feels really good to run BF and try to leave it at that. This happened two weeks ago, and a guy in the conversation said it was the best reason yet he'd heard for running BF; and his wife happens to be an ultrarunner.

I only keep talking if there is further inquiry, (of which I'm not clear how much you got from your post) and I keep it super-simple w/ levity, but it's easy for me to point out the battle scars from "modern" shoes: bunion surgery on one foot; baby bunion on the other; goofy ankle from 2 sprains due to the instablity on the trail in ridiculously cushioned Asics; top of foot scars from nasty blisters; toe fungus & residual corns & callouses- all from so-called protective footwear. Everyone, whether or not runners, can always relate to one of those things!

www.barefooters.org has good info if people really want to bother.

Piggy, not sure if this is

Piggy, not sure if this is the kind of popularization you're looking for, but here on the BRS site we have the Library page (see link in main menu). I think the introductory article is pretty good at explaining the reason people can get attracted to barefoot running and the related scientific evidence. Of course I'm biased. Cheers, stomper

Piggy, one suggestion,

Piggy,

one suggestion, don't tell people that they're wrong, they won't listen to a word that you say after that. try, " we were all told that lie for the longest time and i ....." then if you come across people like my sister in law they will argue with you just for the sake of arguing. there's no point in telling them anything but why you did it and they should do it themselves.

mike

I tell people to google

I tell people to google "barefoot professor" and watch the YouTube video that comes up. This is not hard to remember, and the video is that Harvard professor, Lieberman (I think is his name). It's a good six minute introduction.

I just tell them I run

I just tell them I run barefoot because it feels better and works for me. If they inquire more then I get into whatever topic they have questions on. I never point them to any particular article or resource unless they ask. If they are that interested, then they probably aren't merely casual about the whole thing.

Nice vid', if exposing the

Nice vid', if exposing the cliches of a "typical" BFer a little.

How many of the boxes can I tick from that vid:

VFF? - No (but I keep trying both running and non-running minimal shoes - just can't find any I completely get on with).

Paleo? - Do have a book on it, tried 1 meal which was OK but on whole... no.

First name changed to "Barefoot"? - No!

Stepped on glass/nail/syringe? - Perhaps, glass sliver but not a critical prob' compared to PF in "running shoes".

Use to have knee/PF/back/etc. aches that have gone? - Yes & no, now have a little knee pain after a run but no more than shod running, did have very bad PF & was at the tail end of it when I started BF - no more PF now, back pain I found solved by sleeping on my side before trying BF so, no.

Have a blog ? - Sort of as do all BRS members but I don't add to it much so, no really.

Can't remember the rest of the Q's, anyway, fun vid'. :smile: