Where to learn?

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by Barefoot Chuck, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Barefoot Chuck

Barefoot Chuck Barefooters
    1. Virginia
    2. International

Does anybody know of any barefoot running classes or seminars in the Northern Va. D.C. area? I feel like l’m doing ok on the treadmill but that doesn’t mean it’s so. I’m one of those people who needs to see it to learn it. I’ve read all the terms and seen all the videos on Youtube. Still not getting it.
    I can’t run far enough to run with a group and by the time I’m able to I will have learned it the wrong way or hurt myself and given up. Any suggestions?

2. miker

miker Chapter Presidents
    1. Oklahoma
    2. California...
    3. Canada

Chuck, this is just my

Chuck, this is just my opinion and probably not worth what you paid for it. ;-) I believe that if you run with bent knees, 180+ Cadence, midfoot landing, relaxed and light feet, that you will find the "style" that is right for your body. If you get hot spots, blisters, strains, etc., it will be you body telling you that you are doing it wrong.

I know this isn't necessarily what you wanted to hear (and it is strictly my opinion), but I think if you take it slow and easy, that you will find what you are looking for. If you push it too much, your body will let you know (and it will hurt some).

Just my $.02

Good running!

3. Barefoot Chuck

1. Virginia
    2. International

That's just it. Even when my

That's just it. Even when my body tries to tell me something I don't know what it's saying. Sure my legs might hurt but what's causing it. From my viewpoint it looks like I'm running. All I can see is the top of my feet. I have no idea what the side is doing. Ok so I got a blister on my toe. How do I prevent that? Is it just growing pains or am I pushing off. What the heck is pushing off. I feel like I'm lifting my foot but am I really?

It's those kinds of things that I can't see. If I can't see it and nobody can tell me I can't fix it. So I have to depend on dumb luck and trial and error to prevent injury.

4. migangelo

migangelo Chapter Presidents
    1. Oregon

Chuck, don't despair. i

Chuck,

don't despair. i know i did and i believe many learned by trial and error and then just dumb luck. i didn't get "don't push off", "lift your foot" until i read chi running. i've been on this site and others for tips and for some reason it just clicked after reading the book.

i ran in vff for a few months and felt great. first two times bf was great but i got TOFP. first thing you have to do is get off the treadmill. it doesn't let you run at your natural speed. take it easy. learn to run properly and get your cardio another way for now.

i got a few blisters and other pains. still learning to keep a high cadence and i think i did a good job of it today. i even sprinted with my dog by lengthening my stride and not pushing off. some things you can't learn by reading but just by doing. so just do it.

Mike

5. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ Administrator
    1. Nomad

Just do it?  Where have I

Just do it? Where have I heard that before. Doh!

Chuck, I wish I knew of a barefoot running clinic you could go to in your area, but I don't know of any. Mike's advice is right on. You really need to get in tune with yourself.

Another thing you can do is have someone video tape you, and post it, so some of the more skilled runners here could critique your form. I know that has helped other people.

In the meantime, you can also research videos on YouTube about prober barefoot running and Chi Running technique.

Good luck to you, and welcome!

6. Blind Boy

Blind Boy Barefooters
    1. South Carolina
    2. Germany &...
    3. Sweden

Like TJ said, if you cant

Like TJ said, if you cant find another runner in your area who's willing to help you a video would help us figure out what your problems are, if you have any.

The specifics, then. I'd say you're probably pushing off a bit due to the blistered toe. The way to determining if you're pushing off or not is to feel what happens as your foot leaves the ground, if you're slipping backwards as you lose traction, then you're pushing off. About your legs hurting you'll have to provide more info. If you can determine which area it is that hurts and when it hurts someone will most likely be able to figure out why and how to fix it. My way of figuring out why things feel bad is just to change stuff until it stops hurting.

7. JosephTree

JosephTree Barefooters
    1. Pennsylvania

BF Chuck, I'm going to

BF Chuck, I'm going to reiterate once again the assurance that you can do it yourself. Even with someone else there, you are still going to be running solo inside your own body. I know you have great places to run there like the W&OD trail in Fairfax, which would probably be nearly perfect for BF learning. If you're in the District, you've got other terrific paths along the river or through Rock Creek Park.

The most important thing is to get yourself out and on the trail, taking it easy and learning to learn your body. You can read and look and listen all you want, but until you are actually giving yourself the chance to do and feel and react, it's all pretty much noise. It's not as hard as you're making it in your head, maybe. The other side of it is that you're going to feel some discomfort no matter what you do anyway. That's part of the fun!

Go for it, gently, and you'll do fine!

Now, that's my .02 worth, heavily discounted.

8. saypay45

saypay45 Chapter Presidents
    1. Minnesota
    2. Iowa

If all of that enthusiasm

If all of that enthusiasm hasn't convinced you to go it along, take a look at the RunBare website. They do clinics all over the US, and they might be coming to your town. Barefoot Ted and Barefoot Ken Bob also do a lot of clinics, but I don't think they come over to the east coast.

Jason will do a clinic too I'm sure...if you pay him enough :davie:

Another idea...check out a POSE or ChiRunning clinic. These methods are pretty similar. You can sometimes find coaches in these areas that also run barefoot.

9. Barefoot Gamer

Barefoot Gamer Barefooters
    1. Ohio

I'm in the same boat as

I'm in the same boat as Chuck. It is frustrating, but I know everyone here has had the same problems. And at 8-32 F I am not running barefoot outside in Ohio right now. My treadmill works good, I go slow, only about 4.2-4.4 mph to work on form but I have no idea if my form is correct of not. I have read information on numerous posts here, Jason's website, Ken Bob's website, etc. and I am conscious of bending my knees and lifting my feet, but still no idea if correct or not. I think the video is a good idea. Maybe I will put my camcorder on my tripod tonight, record my run for a couple minutes and upload it to youtube and post it here for comments.

I'm doing .75 mile runs right now, every other day, working my mileage up slowly and listening to my body. Last week I did .5 miles every other day and had no pain at all. I know if I go faster on the treadmill, my shins hurt, so I go slow to build up my arches, etc.

So to get the grasp of how to land my 'feet' should I look at certain things, like a certain Chirunning website, or POSE?

Sorry for hijacking Chuck's thread, but I figured I would add to a relevant post, with the same frustrations he has.

10. saypay45

1. Minnesota
    2. Iowa

See, Gamer and Chuck, what

See, Gamer and Chuck, what we're really all trying to say is that you should take all the information about "do this" and "do that", "lift this" and "don't drag this"...and forget it.

Really...I'm serious. Forget all about it, and go out there and run barefoot. And eventually, your body will get it. You are consciously and unconsciously trying things while you're running. And when it works, it will all click...and you'll be fine.

Really...just....do....it!

11. miker

miker Chapter Presidents
    1. Oklahoma
    2. California...
    3. Canada

Ya know, when we started

Ya know, when we started running "shod" all we did was strap on the shoes and head out the door. Some got hurt, others didn't. There was no roadmap, no "do this" or "don't do that". Some of us got by longer than others. But you kind of just did what your body would let you do.

Not to hijack the thread, but this reminds me a lot of people when they talk with me about the possibility of homeschooling their kids. They want a plan, a system, to make sure it all gets done. But the longer that "most" people homeschool, the easier it becomes. They understand that learning doesn't just take place during certain times of the day or in certain rooms in the house. Once they get over their initial fear that "they're going to screw something up", they do just fine with it.

I think bfr is much the same. Going in, we all want a "picture" of what it is supposed to look like. If I do "A", then "B", then "C", I will be a bfr. I agree w/SP, my best bf runs (to date) have been when I could forget what it was supposed to "look like", but just ran. That's not to say that periodically I don't think "remember to keep knees bent", or some other bfr mantra, but if you "want" to run barefoot, you just have to spend some time running barefoot.

I have heard that treadmills aren't the best for bfr. I, personally, have never run bf on a treadmill. So, I listen to those who have/do, and maybe post a question here or there. But it is to clarify a point in my mind, based on what my body is telling me during my runs and what I feel I might need to be doing.

What "will" mess up your body is taking what someone else does verbatim and plugging your body into it (my opinion).

So, use the BRS for advice, support and background. But the best way to learn to bfr, is for "just you" to go out and have some "quality time" with your feet. ;-)

Just my $.02

12. Barefoot Gamer

Barefoot Gamer Barefooters
    1. Ohio

saypay45 wrote:Really...I'm

My concern is this....running barefoot these last 2 weeks is the first time in YEARS I have ran pain free and enjoy running, besides sucking air from being out of shape.

I read all these warnings about going slow, do this, do that. Should I just leave this forum and ignore the internetz? (Kidding) I understand to take it all with a grain of salt, it is just so much information.

Which is a good thing, IMHO, lots of great people on here that are passionate about barefoot running, and I share that passion.

I guess I just need to slow down and just listen to my body, which I am doing already. Thanks to everyone, I love this forum already.

13. Blind Boy

Blind Boy Barefooters
    1. South Carolina
    2. Germany &...
    3. Sweden

Gamer: That's exactly it.

Gamer: That's exactly it. Like the old saying if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If you can run without any issues you're doing fine. If you do get injured though, we're here to help. Too much detail in what you should and shouldn't do is just confusing most of the time.

14. Barefoot Chuck

1. Virginia
    2. International

I think thats

I think that’s what’s confusing me. There is so much info both here and other places on the net. It’s easy to get information overload. Thinking about running takes the fun out of running. Thanks everyone for the mental kick in the head.
    So here’s my plan… I’ll run barefoot on the treadmill at work and with VFF’s on the road on my days off. Short distances as I can tolerate it increasing as I can. Anybody see any potential issues with that?

15. Blind Boy

Blind Boy Barefooters
    1. South Carolina
    2. Germany &...
    3. Sweden

No issues, just a question.

No issues, just a question. Why would you wear VFFs outside? If it's due to cold I totally get it. Running outside in the cold barefoot doesn't really work until you can run 4-5 miles since it takes a while to warm up. If it's not that though, I suggest you go bare outside as well, it's a lot more fun and it will teach you a lot more about form than a smooth treadmill ever could.

16. saypay45

1. Minnesota
    2. Iowa

One of my favorite sayings

One of my favorite sayings about running is: "Listen to everyone, follow no one."

That is especially true about barefoot running. There is plenty of information on this site. I take what everyone says here, ignore pretty much all of it, and do my own thing. Then occasionally, something comes up, and some advice I got here is the answer. That's how I roll.

We're a great resource, but this barefoot running thing isn't one of those things you can read about and then go and do. It's something you have to go and do, and then read about, and then go do, and then read about, and then go do.

17. Barefoot Chuck

1. Virginia
    2. International

I use the treadmill to build

I use the treadmill to build distance and stamina for now. And the VFF’s on the road are for the cold only. As soon as it warms up even a little I’ll be doing it barefoot to. Any chance I get I'm barefoot around the house, yard, garage but in the cold it's a limited time thing.