Where is everyone?

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by Barefoot YOW, May 21, 2012.

1. dutchie53

dutchie53 Barefooters
    1. Canada

I love running uphill barefoot, where I run into trouble is on the downhill side of things. A couple of weeks I was out of town and did a uphill run for about 2.5 miles and it was great. I turned around and ran back down and by the time I hit bottom I had a good sized blister under both my balls of feet. Mind you this was on some pretty rough chip-seal pavement. Have not perfected my downhill form yet. We haven't to many hills in Winnipeg to work on that part of my running either. :)

2. Barefooting Bob

Barefooting Bob Chapter Presidents
    1. Canada
    2. North Dakota
    3. Nederland -...

No I am not running the marathon this weekend, I am heading to Grand Cache, AB for the Canadian Death Race training camp. So it looks like we are going to miss each other again. You will probably run into some other runners I know though (the barefeet usually bring a little attention so be prepared). Have a good time, we will have to get together sometime in the near future maybe early July?

3. dutchie53

dutchie53 Barefooters
    1. Canada

July I will be at Sun Run at grand beach. It is my intention to do the 10k bare. Did it last year shod, but totally like where the run is held. Hadthe best time ever running it. :) Good luck in Grand Cache.

4. Barefooting Bob

1. Canada
    2. North Dakota
    3. Nederland -...

When is the Sun Run, I ran it a few years ago and had a blast, splash splash through the water. I might just join you for that one.

5. dutchie53

dutchie53 Barefooters
    1. Canada

Sunday July 15th. It is so layed back it is impossible to not have a good time. :)

6. umtully

umtully Barefooters
    1. Canada

is there anyone in montreal? I'm out here for the summer and need some running buddies (and barefoot friendly routes). Haven't run completely barefoot since I left vancouver! it's been months!

7. barefoot britman

barefoot britman Barefooters
    1. Canada

I'm in nova scotia. New to the group. Anyone near here ?

8. Henry

Henry Chapter Presidents
    1. Canada
    2. Presidents

welcome to the group, good luck in finding barefoot buddies not much around though, were one of a kind.

9. barefoot britman

1. Canada

I'm trying to convince people. I went into a running store in Yarmouth , nova scotia . I asked if they sold vibrams, the reply , no they are to dangerous and cause too many injuries

10. dutchie53

dutchie53 Barefooters
    1. Canada

The barefooters are out there, problaly even in your area, even here in Winnipeg there are a few of us. In the Manitoba Marathon I saw more than a couple of vff's out there and a barefooter. Network and check some of the running clubs in your town, if not then out on your own you go. I know Bob through the BRS, but there are more that we do not know about. Some family and people from work tell me that they saw another "idiot" out there running without shoes. So go and enjoy it, and have fun. Just remember TMTS = pain.

11. barefoot britman

1. Canada

Indeed. I'm going to a chi running workshop next month, it may be a good place to connect. If not I just get to enjoy running even more

12. dutchie53

dutchie53 Barefooters
    1. Canada

That is a good way to go about it Britman. Can't hurt to take the Chi course either.

13. Henry

Henry Chapter Presidents
    1. Canada
    2. Presidents

run barefoot with my two daughters age 16 and 9. we run in heavy rain splashing in puddle. I was amaze how natural their barefoot gait and stride although they dont run often. they run so graceful which im sure they cannot do the same if they were wearing shoes. it just reconfirmed my belief barefoot running is in human genes it comes out instinctively in children. great quality time with kids.

umtully likes this.
  14. beergaucho

beergaucho Barefooters
    1. Canada

I did a late evening trail run today and had almost every bug imaginable land on me. It was distracting to have to keep swiping them out of my hair and ears. At least the temperature was awesome and my feet didn't get too dirty this time. If you told me three years ago that one day I'd be running barefoot on mud and gravel and enjoying it, I would have thought you off your rocker. Go feet!

barefoot britman likes this.
  15. dutchie53

dutchie53 Barefooters
    1. Canada

My 16 year old daughter is running in vff's these days when her mom is home. When mom is out she sneaks a barefoot outing with me. :) As you can tell my significant other is not a barefoot fan. ;)

16. Henry

Henry Chapter Presidents
    1. Canada
    2. Presidents

been running around 75 km per week on my home made cut cotton hand gloves with duct tape works well on hot asphalt of summer temp. hopefully will post picture soon

17. Henry

Henry Chapter Presidents
    1. Canada
    2. Presidents

8km to and 8km from work. half hr hill repeat warm up before heading home. blast 8km flat with uphill percieve effort so fast and strong feels so wild beating red light on intersection barefoot in blistering heat. stop a few seconds @ bridge below is high way with the sight of fast car mesmerize by the sight of drivers just sitting still holding steering and travelling so fast. feels like I was born in the distance past take a wrong turn and suddenly got lost in the 21st century.

dutchie53 likes this.
  18. dutchie53

dutchie53 Barefooters
    1. Canada

Well Bob did the 10k Sun Run at Grand beach today. Did it barefoot and the course was friendly for those us who do not like to wear shoes. There was a short section through a gravel parking lot that was doable, uncomfortable but not painful. The last 3 km's were in the dunes and on the beach. Those sand dunes and ankle deep soft sand kicked my butt. I headed for the waters edge whenever I could. Will be doing this barefoot from now on. Even the temperature was good today, not to hot. You should add this one in your schedule next year if you can. The only min shoes I saw today was my daughters vff's. :) I was the only barefooter and as usual got some funny looks.

19. Barefooting Bob

1. Canada
    2. North Dakota
    3. Nederland -...

Glad you had fun Dutchie, I ran that one 2 years ago and had a blast. For some reason I was thinking that was this upcoming weekend. I was running at Beaudry Park on Sunday, giving a trekking pole running class to a friend who is running the Death Race solo. Got some weird looks from a lot of the people walking the trails, this guy with no shoes flying over the trails with 'ski poles'. What was he thinking.

20. Henry

Henry Chapter Presidents
    1. Canada
    2. Presidents

finally post picture of my barefoot wear these summer.
    photo on the left, wrist elastic part of cotton gloves falls on the arch, looks like cotton VFF thats cut into half. so nothing at all @heel. just a quick prototype w/ easily available ready made material. but it works well for me. could not possibly run w/out it on very hot asphalt. its good for around 100km, cotton start to break apart. thinking of making it of durable yet breathable material and very thin rubber underneath.