Where in VA?

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by HopesMom, Jul 7, 2010.

1. ckelly

ckelly Barefooters
    1. Virginia

I'm here in Albemarle, just north of Cville. I commuted from Richmond to Cville for two years, then moved here.

I started running in VFFs last March. I need to run more. It sure would help to have a running buddy!I enjoy running lots of places, but mainly on the "Back Forty"near Carrsbrook. I'll show it to you sometime. Just send me a message.

2. ztnook

ztnook Barefooters
    1. Virginia
    2. Vermont

First barefoot run was today. Loved it. 5k tomorrow (barefoot if trail doesn't scare me). I'm in Leesburg, Va until I sell my house, then off to Vermont!

3. ckelly

ckelly Barefooters
    1. Virginia

Mine was Wednesday. It was terrific.

But today Itried the same trail again, and had to turn around, in agony. Ithink wearing moccasins all day caused my soles to soften and, thus, become very tender as compared with Wednesday, when I was only wearing socks in the a.m. Lesson learned: barefoot or socks only on running days.

Of course the question is:What will I do when it is entirely too cold to run barefoot at all?I guess my feet will just soften up over the winter.

4. Thodin303

Thodin303 Barefooters
    1. Virginia

5. HopesMom

HopesMom Barefooters
    1. Virginia

I saw a guy running down Cary St. the other day near my lab. I thought, wow, he sure looks smooth!! Then I noticed the VFF's. Woo-hoo!!

6. Barefoot Scott

Barefoot Scott Barefooters
    1. North Carolina
    2. Virginia

Anyone else planning toor would like to run the Richmond half-marathon barefoot like myself, or almost barefoot? If so, see you there.

7. MattyNoShoes

MattyNoShoes Barefooters
    1. North Carolina
    2. Virginia

Just moved to Lynchburg, VA about a month ago.

8. Barefoot Prof

Barefoot Prof Barefooters
    1. Virginia

I'm in Lynchburg, too. I teach anatomy at Liberty University. Some students have suggested I start a barefoot running club at Liberty. I already have a barefoot hiking club (most of the members are LU students). If you would like to run or join our hikes, look me up on Facebook (and the facebook page Barefoot Hikers of Virginia).

-Daniel Howell

9. cwheless42

cwheless42 Barefooters
    1. Virginia
    2. District of...

I live in Fredericksburg and work in Reston.

10. mando296

mando296 Barefooters
    1. Virginia

Charlottesville here - Belmont. Started last fall,and due to exuberance and bad form, by June had anice stress fracture in my right foot. It's been VERYhard waiting for the pain to subside, but I'm back up to about 3 miles every other day(still twinges now and then...)

Hopesmom and anyone else interested- there are a bevy of runs/races coming up near c-ville, and I'd like to link up at least to diffuse the odd looks...

john morrison

11. Barefoot Scott

Barefoot Scott Barefooters
    1. North Carolina
    2. Virginia

John,

If it's not too cold for my bare toes, I plan to run this 5k in Crozet on 12/11. http://www.freedom5k.net/

It's a nice little race. I did it last year insocks.There is a very short section on graveltrail, but it's mostly paved.

12. lpmartin

lpmartin Barefooters
    1. Virginia

I'm in Charlottesville also - definitely not very fast but I love to join if you all get a Cville group together.

13. HopesMom

HopesMom Barefooters
    1. Virginia

Hey John, and other C-ville peeps!

I don't have any upcoming races planned, mostly because weekends in November and December are crazy busy, and because my running has taken a total nosedive lately. What races are y'all planning on running? Maybe I can at least come out and cheer!

14. HopesMom

HopesMom Barefooters
    1. Virginia

lp, I am slower than any other runner I have ever heard of. But I agree, we should get a C-ville group together! I think maybe after the first of the year, due to the aforementioned Nov-Dec crazy-busyness? Also, DH runs in normal shoes. Can he come along?

15. mando296

mando296 Barefooters
    1. Virginia

Hi C-ville chapter. Glad to hear there are a few others out there nearbygiving natural selection a chance. Good idea Bf Scott - see you andhopefully others at the freedom 5k. There might be a double meaning in there somewhere for the shoeless.

john

ps- Iassume we'll be able to find eachother without much trouble...

16. Plug and Play

Plug and Play Barefooters
    1. Virginia

I'm in Goode (about half way between Lynchburg and Bedford). Hey Barefoot Prof, were you the one in the paper after the VA 10-Miler?

My wife and I just started BF after I bombed in the Freedoms Run (harpers ferry). Finished it with no desire to run so I thought I would try something new. We are still in the 'getting the feet' tough stage and are following the preachings of 'The Barefoot Runner' and 'Chi Running'. Having a blast with all the looks from the VFF (Lynchburg doesn't get out much!).

17. Barefoot Prof

1. Virginia

Plug and Play - Yes, I was featured in the local newspaper after the 10-miler. I was also interviewed last week for a *new* Washington Post article coming out in the next day or two and I'll be on the TODAY show on November 30 at 10am! Don't miss it!!!

-Daniel Howell

18. dadsoutnumbered

dadsoutnumbered Barefooters
    1. Virginia
    2. West Virginia
    3. Maryland

I am in eastern Panhandle of WV but work in Northern VA.

19. Plug and Play

Plug and Play Barefooters
    1. Virginia

We will definitly be watching the today show. VERYCOOL!!

The week after the 10-miler when I ran the Freedom's Run marathon, Iwas considering a change and thinking about the barefoot idea. I remembered your news story and went back to read it again. So I guess you sort of inspired me. I think it was in your interview that you spoke about the social aspects of going barefoot. It is hard to imagine the strange reactions...even to the point of hostility...that being barefoot in traditionally nonbarefoot areas (especially work) can cause.

So I am REALLY looking forward to getting past the last few blisters on the balls of my feet so I can start making the full switch. It is very depressing on my morning runs when I have to put on my shoes. Not much longer I hope.

-Frank Weinmeister

20. Barefoot Prof

1. Virginia

Frank-

I think the best way to stop blisters on the bottom of your foot is to *walk* barefoot as much as possible on different surfaces. Sidewalks are great. I also highly recommend barefoot hiking because the varied textures (dirt, rocks, sticks, roots, moss, etc.) are great for the skin on your feet - also leaves apparently possess 'tanins' that help turn your skin leathery smooth on your feet.

-Daniel