When a stitch isn't a stitch

This isn't barefoot related, but since I have never heard of it, I thought it would be worth sharing my story here.

This one is for the ladies, or guys that want to pass it on to the ladies in their life.

From time to time I get a stitch in my side. No big deal, we all get them once in a while from not warming up enough, pushing too hard, drinking or eating too much before a run etc. Sometime the stitch is high up, sometimes it is down by my hip bone. Sunday, I had had a lot of water to drink before ducking into the guy to finish 1.5 on the treadmill so when I got a stitch near the end, I just pushed on. Like a few times in the past, the stitch left a lingering soreness. Again, didn't think much of it, thought I had pulled something, yadda yadda.

Yesterday, I went for my annual female parts check up and when the nurse practitioner pressed on the area where the stitch had been, I nearly jumped off the table. She looked at me very seriously and when I said it was probably just a gas bubble or leftover soreness from my stitch, she just nodded. I've never been seen in this office before so it didn't seem odd that they got me in for an ultrasound the next morning. Turns out I have a 4.7 cm ovarian cyst that has bleed a little from trauma.

OOOOOKKKKKKKKKAAAAYYYYYYY

Granted, it isn't a cancer diagnosis, not really anything to worry about. It will likely go away on its own or I can go on birth control pills (ROFLOL, BCPs and no uterus, sheesh!) and they will shrink it faster and keep more from popping up. The slightly scary part is that if I had managed to rupture it, I could have had a lot of internal bleeding which is BAD.

Soooo, moral of the story is, if you have a stitch and it is low in your abdomen, it isn't a stitch!

Wow, Wendy, I'm glad you got

Wow, Wendy, I'm glad you got it taken care of in time.

Wow Wendy!  Thank goodness

Wow Wendy! Thank goodness you had an appt when you did and caught it before it got ugly! Will this affect your runs for a while, did they say anything about NOT running until they get it under control?

I ran today, granted it was

I ran today, granted it was slow because once again I was late getting out the door and it was freaking hot outside, and did not have any pain in my abdomen.

The doc never said not to run, even though I said the only time it hurt was while running. Once or twice today I have felt a twinge when twisting at the waist. I think, because I am aware of it now, little pains that I had ignored before are catching my attention, but none of it has been painful enough to make me stop what I was doing.

If I had known what was causing the "stitch" I would have ended the treadmill run and if I feel like that again I will certainly stop running.

The only thing he told me not to do was have sex,
tmi.gif
but since Hubby had hernia surgery a few days ago, that was off the table for a while anyway. I must have had quite the expression on my face because he back pedaled and gave more specific parameters about what I could do and not do, but it all goes back to not doing anything that hurts.

well, if you can't have

well, if you can't have sex...might as well get in some good runs, just as rewarding :p

Feel better soon WendyLady

I used to get functional

I used to get functional cysts like this all the time and one would burst once a year all through my 20's - a couple time I thought I was dying. It was very painful. I like being pregnant so much I vowed to never ovulate again (no ovulation=no cyst can form) so I went the BCP route. I was quite miserable before this - it was really what allowed me to feel well enough to start running. What are they going to do?

It isn't bothering me now so

It isn't bothering me now so likely they will leave it alone unless I have other problems. The next step would be BCP's, but they have their own risks for someone my age and on the medication I take for Rheumatoid Arthritis. I hate BCPs and what they do to me, but the last time I took them was about 20 years ago so maybe I wouldn't do so badly this time.

I had problems years ago,

I had problems years ago, too. This time I went the continuous pill route where I take it all the time and never have breakthrough bleeding. I love it. I think I was estrogen-deficient (didn't even know that existed before). I lost 60 pounds after I started taking it.