whats your favorite surface to walk/run bf?

Discussion in 'Barefoot & Minimalist Running' started by narrowtoeboxisstupid, Mar 17, 2015.

1. randicoot

randicoot
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. New Hampshire

There was an intersection nearby where the asphalt was old and worn smooth and it felt like porcelain in comparison to the roads leading into it. What a dream. Last fall they did the chip seal thing--lay down liquid tar and covered it with coarse sand. I'm hoping the harsh winter, with all the plowing, has smoothed it out a bit. On the plus side, a quarter mile section further down the road was fully repaved, for some reason--I don't remember it being in disrepair--and it turned out very nice, unlike another nearby road they totally dug up and repaved a few years ago which turned out tolerable but very coarse.
    Another nice surface was some brick sidewalks in Salem, Ma, and I'm sure I've run on cobblestone somewhere, which was very nice.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    scedastic likes this.
  2. Scottie

Scottie
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Washington

When I first started going barefoot it was painful to walk out to our mailbox on a chip seal street. It was painful to walk next door to my shop on gravel. Everything around here has some amount of chip seal and/or gravel, so I figured I would have to build up my feet and get tough. Later I read Ken Bob Saxton's book "Barefoot Running Step by Step" and he talks about relaxing your feet, faster cadence so you aren't letting gravity have as much time to accelerate you, bending your knees, lifting your foot before it touches the ground, and even not saying "Foot strike" or "Jogging" because of the striking and pounding connotations. I figured there was a way to come to terms with gravel and I believed it might help me with my very bad pounding habits too. Starting running at 46 or 47 and overstriding and pounding is a great way to hurt yourself, but I figured if I did the gravel thing it might train me to run lightly. It is doing that very well. Thank you Ken Bob! So, even though gravel can hurt, it doesn't always hurt, even the same patch that hurt yesterday. Then tomorrow it hurts and tells me "look at your form". It is a great teacher and way less expensive than any of the coaches out there. You can even run "fast" (for an old fart) on gravel if you practice and figure out the form issues. That feels really empowering!

All the best,
    Scott

3. canary island feet

canary island feet
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Spain - España

If it is shorter than 5kms any surface for the different challenges, I am not aiming for specific times at this moment in workouts. However, the moisture of the surface is key over 5kms for my baby feet. We are in the rainy season and I did a 5kms+ workout on very wet craggly old asphalt & it tore the skin up lie hamburger. :( DRY surfaces are now my favorite after that newbie mistake. However, running on fresh goat droppings are like heaven for the feet.

scedastic likes this.
  4. Christian Lemburg

Christian Lemburg
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Germany &...

Walk: old, worn cobblestone in the sun.
    Run: golf course grass.

5. JosephTree

JosephTree
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Pennsylvania

Lee, we're talking running surfaces, not lunch.

Hobbit and scedastic like this.
  6. Bare Lee

Bare Lee
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Minnesota
    2. Presidents

Don't knock it until you've tried it.

7. Scratch

Scratch
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Pennsylvania

Dry and smooth asphalt is my greatest pleasure for barefoot running.

For walking, I also very much enjoy chances to walk on old walkway stones that have been weathered down to a delicious smoothness. It's also a great pleasure when you can walk in some warm mud. Golf courses tend to be great places to walk barefoot and it's fun to read the greens with bare feet.

Hobbit, scedastic and dutchie53 like this.
  8. JosephTree

JosephTree
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Pennsylvania

Another Valley Forge National Park fan!

9. Modenacart

Modenacart
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. North Carolina

Because it was so smooth.

10. Tyler J L

Tyler J L
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Iowa

My favorites would have to be grass, concrete, leaves, mud, sand, and water.

11. ClintonVoris

ClintonVoris
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Indiana

Wow! I thought I was the only one who paid attention to ashpalt. I was/am even planning on starting a 'photo library' of the different types of ashpalts. :) My absolute favorite is the fresh, black, soft smooth stuff of smaller parking lots and bike trails. It is like velvet! My next favorite would be a toss-up between smooth concrete and smooth-ish asphalt. Next would be dirt and or grass. Next in line would be chip-n-seal asphalt. The stones are sharp. My least favorite would be gravel roads. I'm in Indiana, so I have no experience running on sand.

12. Blister

Blister
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

I like black asphalt on a cold sunny afternoon.

13. Tristan

Tristan
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Ohio

Old thread but I guess I haven't contributed yet so I'll say my most favorite surface to run on by far is a smooth dirt forest trail covered in a deep layer of pine needles. And besides touch, it stimulates the smell receptors too - so wonderful. :happy:
    It's extremely rare to find though, especially devoid of rocks and roots.
    I'm fine with just plain on asphalt of the rail trails though, since they don't see auto traffic they stay in pretty good shape usually.

14. Barefoot Gentile

Barefoot Gentile
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Connecticut

Dirt trails, hard packed sand when it's low tide, crushed limestone trails.

15. Bill B

Bill B
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Canada

I prefer a natural surface. I ran gravel roads for years barefeet, never got used to it, but found out how soft my feet became from running strictly asphalt for a year after moving into town!! Wet gravel is nice, best is trail running although one has to be careful not to stub toes on roots!! Seal coat is evil, more so than gravel as gravel will move under your feet. I avoid grass as I hate not knowing, being able to see what's in it.

16. Gordon

Gordon
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

Favorite - dirt single track.
    Least favorite - chip seal made with small lava rock.

17. petit-pied

petit-pied
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Belgiüm-Wall...
    2. Belgiüm-Vlaa...

Snow... :Dbut in Belgium or France... I'm not crazy, not in Alaska :cold::turtle::coldfeet: