what's in your BFR fanny pack?

shawshank

Barefooters
Jun 8, 2011
I stole this idea from Barefoot TJ, but he suggested it in an earlier thread that I started. Plus when do you get to use the words "fanny pack" w/ a large group of people & get nods instead of looks of disgust? ;)

My question is: what do you keep in your BFR fanny pack to protect against the miscellaneous dangers we encounter out there?

I am so early in the process that I only run 7-12 mins per outing so I often leave my pack of goodies in the car, @ my office, in my place, etc. But here are the contents of my pack (that is based on my in-depth reading of the BFR books in my very limited library!)

1. a fanny pack. (not a real "fanny pack" in the touristy sense, but one for runners that clips around your waist that is made of absorbent material & has a smalll pocket for your keys & 1-2 other items.)

2. super glue. (read this somewhere. used as a quick patch for any cuts or healing blisters)

3. individually wrapped alcohol wipes. (kind of like the ones you get when you get wings....cleanliness is next to....you know the rest.)

4. tweezers in case I need to tweeze.

5. keys.

6. allen wrenches. doesn't everyone have allen wrenches? maybe not, but i often ride my bike to work. better safe than sorry!

Funny thing about this fanny pack. I know nothing about bikes except how to ride them. I volunteered (w/ my 3 boys) for a local organization that builds bikes for the needy to learn more about how they work. Our first job was to change a tube on a kid's bike. All boys giving suggestions & helping & getting dirty. I take the chain off and .****BAM**** microscopic sliver of metal goes right into my pointer finger. we kept on working but it was deep & very painful. this was before I started the journey toward BFR & recognized the importance of fanny packs.

so every time you feel like laughing at someone w/ a fanny pack, watch out because you never know when one might come in handy!

But what do you keep in your fanny pack? cheers! s/s.

Hmmm. I use an Amphipod

Hmmm. I use an Amphipod micropack (essentially a small, flat fanny pack that clamps onto the waistband of your shorts) to carry:

1. my housekey

2. my cell phone

3. which is sealed inside a Ziploc bag to keep the sweat off

I don't run more than 5 miles at a time right now and figure that any emergencies that arise can be easily dealt with via the use of item #2 to procure a ride home where I have all kinds of gear for dealing with whatever hazards I may have encountered -- assuming I can't just walk back to the car/house on my own. The micropack has the advantage of not bouncing at all during my run since it's actually clamped and not suspended from a belt.

I only wear a fanny pack in

I only wear a fanny pack in the winter on long runs in the 12 - 20 mile range so I can put my gloves somewhere mostly. I put my keys and some kind of food in there too, its also good for experimenting with food options as I can bring extra stuff to choose from. Sometimes I stuff an empty water bottle in there to free up my hands. I dont really think of any dangers when I run except for my feet getting cold in the winter.

I used to overdo it with all

I used to overdo it with all kinds of stuff but now don't even use a pack. Hide my key and run totaly minimalist. Wear a hat before race start, and just ditch it with hopes that MAYBE it will be there later.

Oh and yeah,.......TJ is DEFINITLY a GIRL!

Hee.  You blew my cover,

Hee. You blew my cover, Board!

Mokie, you forget to add that you carry TJs VFFs, when she used to wear VFFs on a cold winter's day.

If I wore a fanny pack, I would carry a needle, maybe, but I think I would just run through it.

Fanny packs drive me nuts

Fanny packs drive me nuts while running! Maybe I have too much hip action :) ? Personally I'd rather just hide all my stuff and take nothing. But if the trail is long and lonely enough I could get lost and stranded, I will take a camelbak for water and keep a few supplies in the pockets. Good ones would be: phone, keys, space blanket, hat, iodine pills.

Space blanket?

Space blanket?

I hardly ever take anything

I hardly ever take anything with me. But in those rare circumstances I am actually in a place where I could get stuck outside all night a hat and a space blanket are pretty good protection against the cold. Plus they make a crackly sound!

I am ashamed to admit I have

I am ashamed to admit I have a pack now and usually run with it. Here are the contents:

1. Aqua shoes for the times my feet rebel against gravel.

2. My phone.

3. Various and sundry crap.

Amen.

I usually carry nothing but

I usually carry nothing but my Amphipod Micropack, which has to be one of the best inventions of all time for runners. On a long run on a hot day I might carry a camelbak, as I don't want anything bouncing around my waist while I run, and I don't want to carry anything in my hands.

I usually do not have a pack

I usually do not have a pack but there are 2 things that I always carry when running (in a little zip bag that commonly comes with little computer hardware) in the pocket of the shorts. And I'll never buy any short without a pocket any more and do make the usefullyness of the short depend on their (back and in the middle) pocket size.

- at least three paper tissues in case there is an urgent need, never leave home without these!

- a 10 € note in case I want to buy something to drink, love these runs with a beer in the middle.

Depening on occasion there will be a key and harware token to open the door at home or the car key. On very long runs there is a ticket for public transport in case I need to get back from far or want to make it a one way route.

The tissues are the most important thing !

A good sports bra will hold a

A good sports bra will hold a cel-phone (in protective snack-baggie). Running skirts have great pockets for i.d., gum, a housekey, tweezers- little stuff.

It bugs me, but I always wear a visor because the high-desert sun is intense even in the morning.

Any mention of 'fanny pack'

Any mention of 'fanny pack' on this side of the Atlantic is guaranteed to get a laugh.

So far, I have been running with nothing. My increasing distances and the recent warm weather in UK mean that I need to explore hydration options and I also find that my nose runs so that needs a solution too

Nyal, it's the "various and

Nyal, it's the "various and sundry crap" that we want to know about!

Blessings to Norway. You all have been in my prayers. :sad:

Only on long runs (20km+) do

Only on long runs (20km+) do i take my camelbak for water, food, phone (for taking pictures on the run), house keys go into my waistband pocket just so I can feel them. Shoes just incase something goes awol and I'm 20k's from home strap on the outside and $10 for whatever:)

If its under 20km and i want to carry some dates to munch on I just put them in a speibelt and leave the shoes at home:)

I used to carry a clip-on

I used to carry a clip-on pocket with my phone (and if need be keys) in it. But after wearing a pair of running tights without the drawstring and nearly losing my pants one day because of the weight of my phone in the pocket I kind of ditched the pocket thingy.

I realize though, that I will be running longer runs and need to experiment with food, gels... etc... so I started wearing one of those amphipod packs or my Nathan hydration pack that will keep my gel flask and all my water as well as my phone, ID and keys. I really hate wearing stuff like that but see it as a necessary evil sometimes.

got an amphipod water belt

got an amphipod water belt with one of the little belt pouch attachments for runs longer than 1 hour. I usually carry:

water bottle

house or car key

phone

a pack of honey stingers

things I need to start considering (especially for trails):

super glue

tweezers

alcohol wipes

bandage of some type

(can you tell i just went through a rough injury trail running? ;) )

don't let everyone's lack of

don't let everyone's lack of laughter fool you, it gets a giggle on this side of the atlantic as well.

Assuming anything under about 10 miles my "fanny pack" consists of my hands carrying my huaraches and my wrist pocket holder thingy carring my ipod. Longer than that and I require water so I have water and whatever bill I have laying around in case I need money for something.

Long runs (15+) require a camelback with a full selection of food, lots of water, an ace bandage for random rub-age, a itty bitty cute body glide stick, and some day I'll be intelligent and add sunscreen to it. (since my skin is the color of this guy :evil: right now) Those are always trail runs though so I'm wearing minimal shoes and don't feel the need for all the extra special bf stuff like needles and antiseptic.

I have a Camelbak Octane XCT.

I have a Camelbak Octane XCT. I love it because it has a waist strap and pockets that you can get to without taking it off. I tend to carry too many items when running. Cell phone, snacks, bandaids, tp, unshoes or VFF's. Never had to use any of these items. On the last half-marathon, I abandoned the VFF's and Camelbak at mile 7. Did the last six barefoot and free. It felt great. Of course this was an aided race. I would never leave my Camelbak on my normal runs.

Longboard wrote:I used to

Longboard said:
I used to overdo it with all kinds of stuff but now don't even use a pack. Hide my key and run totaly minimalist. Wear a hat before race start, and just ditch it with hopes that MAYBE it will be there later.

Oh and yeah,.......TJ is DEFINITLY a GIRL!

My apologies, TJ. My only excuse is that I am a nose picking troll & I have difficulty telling the gender of posters because I am usually two knuckles into one nostril or the other. :)

Hope this won't stop the good vibes & advice, TJ! Won't make that mistake again! s/s.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts