What song is your state famous for?

nature runner

Barefooters
Jun 13, 2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n9prNixjbg&feature=related

I love this song, it is played as some of you know, as Tennessee Volunteers football games!

nature runner

nature runner said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n9prNixjbg&feature=related I love this song, it is played as some of you know, as Tennessee Volunteers football games!

I actually live right up the road from where this song was written about!

Minnesota is the land of

Minnesota is the land of Prince. We are especially known for the song Purple Rain, since they made a movie starring Prince with the same title.

Delaware is proud to have

Delaware is proud to have birthed George Thorogood. We celebrate often with one bourbon, one scotch and one beer.

saypay45 wrote:Minnesota is

saypay45 said:
Minnesota is the land of Prince. We are especially known for the song Purple Rain, since they made a movie starring Prince with the same title.

Hell yeah. Rock and roll is alive and it lives in Minneapolis!

The state I call home has John Denver and some jam bands, but I don't really take any pride in those so I'll pick Rocky Mountain Way by Joe Walsh.

I am not real big on

I am not real big on country music, but where I live in Bristol,Tn it is known as the birthplace of country music. I do like bluegrass and folk and all kinds of other music anything from the old Heavy Metal to Opera lol! My two favorite bands of all time is Pantera and Metallica!

In OHIO.... "My City Was

In OHIO.... "My City Was Gone" by Chrissie Hynde (the Pretenders) seems to get a lot of play, but for all of the wrong reasons?

It has the line "Way to go, Ohio" in it.

It has an upbeat melody... and at first blush it sounds like a positive feel good song about our State, but it takes only a cursory bit of listening to realize that the "Way to go" line is intended with extreme sarcasm. The song lyrics are an unveiled criticism of rampant and unchecked development leading to the destruction of neighborhoods and a communities. Never the less, every once and a while, at local parties and events it gets play... and everyone just ignores the lyrics and sings the "Way to go Ohio" line in a sort of State anthem.

I live in Akron... 1 mile away from Cuyahoga Falls and the area Hynde refers to in her song. It's sad to look at the area and think about how much things have changed for the sake of progress .

... is this ranting? Sorry... :)

On a slightly less cynical note the actual Ohio State song is "Beautiful Ohio" and is much more up beat.

S. Pimp.

S.Pimp  rant away it's all

S.Pimp rant away it's all good. I forgot to mention the all important musician Elvis in memphis and the country music queen Dolly Parton from Seveirville above Gatlinburg, Tn. Her original house she grew up in there is a museum.

Georgia On My Mind - official

Georgia On My Mind - official state song, best sung by Ray Charles

The Devil went down to Georgia - Charlie Daniels Band

I'm sorry, Ram.  I had to

I'm sorry, Ram. I had to shut it down after a minute. I couldn't take it anymore. :-(

Barefoot TJ wrote:Georgia On

Barefoot TJ said:
Georgia On My Mind - official state song, best sung by Ray Charles

The Devil went down to Georgia - Charlie Daniels Band

I love the Ray Charles version of Georgia on my Mind! He's really good!

Don't forget Bob Dylan,

Don't forget Bob Dylan, fellow Minnesotan. He paved some good rock n roll roads

It's easy here.  Get on a

It's easy here. Get on a stage anywhere and say/sing these words "The stars at night are big and bright" and everyone within ear shot will sing/shout back "Deep in the heart of Texas!" I have no idea where it came from or how it started but it's our thing. I know it's a song but we usually only hit those two lines :)

We have a line in the Johnny

We have a line in the Johnny Cash song, "I once shot a man in Reno..", and I think Michael Stipes mentions Reno in one of his songs too- but I can't think of our state having any definitive mention other than the state song we had to sing in first grade (Home Means Nevada)- most are about Vegas, so I'll leave it there.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test