What qualifications should someone have in order to become a barefoot running instructor?

I don't think I'd ever go to

I don't think I'd ever go to a coach on anything who didn't do what they were coaching. They wouldn't have to be super fantastic, a good portion of that is genetic, but I would expect some level of participation in the field. As far as a barefoot coach I wouldn't say I'd require them to be a full time barefooter, or even a full time barefoot runner, just lots of experience both doing it and working with people who did it. Then again I'm not sure I understand the concept of going to a barefoot running coach anyway. Isn't the point of it that it is basically supposed to be the natural healthy thing to do. I can see the need for bits and pieces of advice about certain things, but with the books and BRS forumns why would someone really need to go to a coach specifically designed for barefoot? (that is actually a real question not a rhetorrical one, I'm curious) I guess I can still see the want for a running coach if you are trying to make improvements, but why a barefoot specific one as opposed to a barefoot accepting one?

Jimmy Hart wrote: I applaud

Jimmy Hart said:
I applaud both Ken Bob and Jason for all they have accomplished personally and for the sport of barefoot running but I hold neither in the highest regard for their knowledge of human mechanics as it's not something they have spent years studying (no offfense guys).

Just because I don't throw around A&P terminology doesn't mean I haven't had formal training in biomechanics, coaching, differentiated education, sport psychology, etc.

My goal is to teach people, not impress them with douchy elitist terminology five percent of the population understands.
tounge_smile.gif

In regards to the survey, I think that is a much better route than a certification. As a community, I think we'd be pretty good at separating those that can and cannot coach effectively.

ajb422 wrote:I don't think

ajb422 said:
I don't think I'd ever go to a coach on anything who didn't do what they were coaching. They wouldn't have to be super fantastic, a good portion of that is genetic, but I would expect some level of participation in the field. As far as a barefoot coach I wouldn't say I'd require them to be a full time barefooter, or even a full time barefoot runner, just lots of experience both doing it and working with people who did it. Then again I'm not sure I understand the concept of going to a barefoot running coach anyway. Isn't the point of it that it is basically supposed to be the natural healthy thing to do. I can see the need for bits and pieces of advice about certain things, but with the books and BRS forumns why would someone really need to go to a coach specifically designed for barefoot? (that is actually a real question not a rhetorrical one, I'm curious) I guess I can still see the want for a running coach if you are trying to make improvements, but why a barefoot specific one as opposed to a barefoot accepting one?

I think this is the question I was getting at a bit in my responses. I am also not so sure it matters so much, although I think for the purposes of developing a BRS listing of Barefoot Running Coaches, it matters. I see a coach's role as being multi-faceted. Sometimes you need someone to tell you to run your intervals slower or faster. But sometimes you need a coach to inspire, to lead, to demonstrate that "it can be done". Yes, you can really run a marathon barefoot if you put in the barefoot miles.

For Philly, I am working on having two events, one with a bona fide speed/biomechanics coach who is interested in barefoot running and POSE who the athletes can follow up with, but, then, also have an event where we bring in inspiring barefoot coaches like Angie B. or Jason (please, please say "yes"!) to inspire, but who will not be around to offer ongoing clinics. I think there is value to both.

Angie Bee wrote:I like all of

Angie Bee said:
I like all of Abide's list except the last one. I don't think a barefoot running coach has to live every second barefoot.

I can dream can't I?

I do have a question for anyone who cares to answer. Why do you feel that you need a coach?

From my own experience anytime I have used a coach I have been unimpressed? To the point that now I meet all "coaches" with a level of skepticism. What can a coach provide me that I cannot find on this website or the internet with greater objectivity? Maybe that should be a question on the survey?

Some people feel they need

Some people feel they need face-to-face, one-on-one instruction. I learned a hell of a lot from The Master Ken Bob when he stayed in our home during his workshop tour. Even though I had read his advice over and over again, somehow having him here in person made it cyrstal clear for me. If you don't need instruction, don't seek it. If you do, the BRS will be building a map of those who teach barefoot running technique.

Also, running barefoot

Also, running barefoot properly and safely only comes naturally to those who run and live barefoot all their lives. Those of us in the so-called developed world have robbed ourselves of this innate ability. The majority of us have programmed ourselves to run improperly in crap. We have to shed the crap and relearn how to run naturally.

It's like tethering an elephant with a chain to a post. After years of this abuse, he will stay in the same spot even after removing his chain. He knows no other. He knows no better. He would need to be coached to move away from the post.

Abide,Having barefoot run

Abide,

Having barefoot run for 19 months now I've begun to give small, informal running clinics at various locations around the greater Tampa metro area. What I've realized is, particularly when it comes to BFR, a lot of people either want someone to tell them it's okay to do what they are doing or they have read a couple of the books but just can't figure out how to go about starting barefoot running. It seems odd but a lot of people just don't have confidence in their own abilities to figure it out on their own. A coach, instructor, mentor, or whatever you want to call it provides a place for some people to get that validation or 1st hand education so they learn how to barefoot run correctly. A couple of people I've run into had good technique but couldn't figure out why their calves/Achilles tendons still got sore. They had only been BFR for about two months and both were in their mid-40s. I know from personal experience that it took me about four months before I was finally able to go anywhere from 3-6 miles without being sore so I was able to point out to them what was happening was normal and give them a more realistic view of what to expect. I was also able to offer some advice that could minimize the soreness until they were able to train some more to get beyond the soreness. So there are some examples of why a coach/instructor/mentor might be helpful.

To All,

I think there are definitely categories this debate can/should be broken down into. Someone like Jimmy could easily be considered "certified" I would think. I think there is value in having a good solid education of how the human musculature works as well as how to train people. Maybe these people could be considered a "coach". I think there is another category, a step down possibly, that could be considered an "instructor". This person might have some certifications and a lot of personal experience but doesn't necesarily have the depth a coach has in teaching a person based on their own body style and genetics. A third category could be "mentor". That's probably more where I fall in even though I'm doing some "instructing". I have a lot of personal experience, personal education, and a lot of passion for BFR but no certifications related to personal fitness. I would like to earn some certifications possibly when I retire from the Marine Corps but for now I'm happy to teach people what I know for the purpose of spreading the word about BFR and offering people another option than pounding away in high heel running shoes. I'm currently working a situation in which I've paired up with a local podiatry clinic that is interested in being able to answer questions about barefoot running but have no personal experience themselves. They know the mechanics but don't have any practical advice for anyone wanting to start barefoot/minimalist running. In this case it's a team effort. Once the running season starts again in FL I'll be joining the podiatrists at some of the local runs they medically support to provide that practical advice for how to get started and of course advising them to become members of the Barefoot Runners Society. If I find out that I'll be able to stay in this area a couple of additional years I intend on starting a Tampa Chapter of the BRS.

And you're welcome to it,

And you're welcome to it, Warren.

It would be hard for me to determine who to put in what category though. I think it's best just to have a block that the person can fill in with as much info about themselves, their experience, and their ability as they want, and let people decide if they want to seek their help based on that. Oh, and a picture too! Makes it more personal.

Okay, will do.  I need to

Okay, will do. I need to come up with a form/survey people could fill out and include that field then. Again, this will be all about self-classification (and later, public-evaluation).

Hey TJ I'm not saying don't

Hey TJ I'm not saying don't do the coaching page, I think it is a cool idea and am glad you are doing it. I was just throwing the question out there for people to think about, especially coaches. I get that we all learn differently and as Warren said validation for an unconventional practice is important as well. I would also say that a coach would definitely be able to help me since what I think my body is doing vs. what it actually is doing are two completely different things.

Abide I would say the biggest

Abide I would say the biggest advantage to a coach is the abiltity to teach. A person has an idea or theory and writes it down but does that idea translate fully to everyone? The odds are that the majority who read it wont necessarily get it just by reading. A coach can demonstrate, and also react to the student. When I'm explaining things I watch facial expressions. A person's face tells me whether or not they are getting it the way I'm explaining/demonstrating it and I may have to come from a different angle. The other thing that I think a good coach can do is figure out what you are doing that you can't see. I can watch a video of perfect form, read about how to perform it, and go out with that in mind. That does not mean I can translate it and when it's not working or feeling right then how do I know what to do in order to correct it? TJ said it right in that we are not natural barefoot people but people who are trying to learn it. I coach shod, minimal, and barefoot runners and all need different cues.

Case in point I was working with a young runner this morning and her right foot was turning in during her trail action but only her right foot. I gave her instruction to focus on correcting it during her next lap but it did not change at all even thought she was trying to make it right. At that point I know it's a muscular issue that must be addressed. Next up was a series of drills and stretches to loosen tight muscles and wake up deactivated ones. The result was an improved movement but one I will need to pay attention to when I see her next to make sure the change becomes permanent.

In the end, when all the

In the end, when all the coaches/instructors/mentors are listed, having information on their bios that indicate what their interests are for their own goals, study and training would be nice, too.

I also second the comment by jschwab about not all teachers being the best at doing what they teach. Sometimes the person who is the best at doing something is also the worst teacher of it because they don't understand how they do what they do. They just do it.

(I didn't mean to throw two comments at the forum and suddenly drop out. I had a medical thing for the last week - no computer. I apologize. Back now...)

"Also, running barefoot properly and safely only comes naturally to those who run and live barefoot all their lives. Those of us in the so-called developed world have robbed ourselves of this innate ability. The majority of us have programmed ourselves to run improperly in crap. We have to shed the crap and relearn how to run naturally.

It's like tethering an elephant with a chain to a post. After years of this abuse, he will stay in the same spot even after removing his chain. He knows no other. He knows no better. He would need to be coached to move away from the post."

Well said, TJ.

Barefoot TJ wrote:Also,

Barefoot TJ said:
Also, running barefoot properly and safely only comes naturally to those who run and live barefoot all their lives. Those of us in the so-called developed world have robbed ourselves of this innate ability. The majority of us have programmed ourselves to run improperly in crap. We have to shed the crap and relearn how to run naturally.

It's like tethering an elephant with a chain to a post. After years of this abuse, he will stay in the same spot even after removing his chain. He knows no other. He knows no better. He would need to be coached to move away from the post.

I agree with this. it is not just a matter of taking off of ones shoes. it's relearning how to move. The mind can trick us and we think we are running a certain way and then to see yourself run is very eye opening. It was for me anyways. An objective perspective from another runner can be very helpful.

In response to Jimmy - I

In response to Jimmy - I agree, although there's room in this situation for more than certified coaches, which is a good thing.

Something was mentioned earlier about grouping an experienced running leader who isn't necessarily a skilled teacher with "Instructors," which makes sense. There are plenty of people with things to share who aren't certified in anything, who don't have teaching experience. I think that the way TJ is arranging it people will be able to see who people are, what they do and what their background is. A person can then decide for themselves who they want to train or run with.

I think people learn really

I think people learn really differently, Abide. If I don't read it, I don't learn it - simple as that, anything from putting in contacts to swimming to how to be nice to my kids. But lots and lots of people really struggle with learning that way. And there are limitations - reading doesn't really make me aware of my running form. I get injured enough to know that I could use some tweaks. :) I also think, at least for me, I am targeting beginners as well as more seasoned barefoot runners. I would like to reach those who are just beginning or who have never tried it. One part instruction, one part inspiration!

To be clear in case I haven't

To be clear in case I haven't been. I have nothing against those who don't have years of experience and education. Guys like the afforementioned Ken Bob and Jason have been able to help more people than I'm sure any of us know and it's impressive. I actually have a lot of respect for both of them (again I'm not saying you don't know what you're doing Jason...my friend). There are guys like Greg Mcmillan out there who have tons of letters behind their names and he has also helped a lot of people but in a different way.

Coming from the gym there was always a battle between the trainers and group fitness instructors. There is typically a big educational difference between the two and trainers were always sensitive about the group fit people coming on the floor and "training" clients especially when that person obviously didn't know enough to be doing it. I think there's room for both and it can be good to have people of varying abilities out promoting the same cause. In the gym it's healthy living and here it's healthy running. Everyone has to start somewhere and there was a time when I was laughed at for being new in the business but I put in my years and continued to educate myself to get to where I am now.

The only issue you will run into is when you have people learning from someone who doesn't really know what they are doing which will frustrate those that do because in the end it's the whole that will get the bad wrap not just the individual.

"The only issue you will run

"The only issue you will run into is when you have people learning from someone who doesn't really know what they are doing which will frustrate those that do because in the end it's the whole that will get the bad wrap not just the individual."

The quote above from Jimmy is what scares me most about not having some type of certifying or vetting criteria to ensure people aren't getting hurt and are having the best BFR experience they can. There are charlatans and ignoramuses in practically every endeavor but in BFR people can actually get hurt and turn away from something that could provide them many years of pain-free healthy movement.

"The only issue you will run

"The only issue you will run into is when you have people learning from someone who doesn't really know what they are doing which will frustrate those that do because in the end it's the whole that will get the bad wrap not just the individual."

The quote above from Jimmy is what scares me most about not having some type of certifying or vetting criteria to ensure people aren't getting hurt and are having the best BFR experience they can. There are charlatans and ignoramuses in practically every endeavor but in BFR people can actually get hurt and turn away from something that could provide them many years of pain-free healthy movement.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test