What qualifications should someone have in order to become a barefoot running instructor?

Hey, we're hashing it all out

Hey, we're hashing it all out here. This is going to go up, down, sideways, and all around before we are finished with it. ;-) Everything goes on the board. No right or wrong answers.

Speaking of certification and what-not, how many of us know people who were certified to the hilt but didn't know squat? And how many of us know people who have no certifications but know a ton. I do. I can name a bunch of people in both groups.

The difficulty in all this is finding the right course to follow that will work for the majority of people AND be legit. Who determines this? So what poor schlubs are going to be the ones to devise a curriculum?

My biggest concern with a

My biggest concern with a coach is the ability to actually coach. By that I mean can they correct me? Can they see what I'm doing wrong and then convey what I should be doing. Beyond that I need to know that they actually know what is biomechanically correct for my structure and developed mechanics as not every person uses their body the same way for similar movements (think how everyone seemingly walks different).

I applaud both Ken Bob and Jason for all they have accomplished personally and for the sport of barefoot running but I hold neither in the highest regard for their knowledge of human mechanics as it's not something they have spent years studying (no offfense guys). To be completely honest and risk the anger of most people in here I disagree with a lot of the form teaching that Ken Bob recommends. I can see where his logic comes from but there are aspects to his recommendations that are not seen to be biomechanically sound and safe. Just for example his recommendations for getting low and bending the knees while you run and then getting even lower and springing down a hill that way are actually considered dangerous for the knees by every human movement course I have ever taken (not just certifications but also classes in my Exercise Science studies). Does that make Ken Bob's teachings wrong? Not at all but they are not built for the masses and a coach would need to be able to branch away from that in order to help people when they cannot adopt that type of form.

My questions are not about experience but about ability to analyze and correct. Perhaps that is not what's important to most but I've made my money over the years by being able to help people recover and improve in their efforts so I find it important. If we are looking for coaches who can simply convey the basics then most of the people in this forum are qualified instructors but if you are wanting someone who can teach those basics, analyze movement, instruct improved movement, rehab injuries, or things of those nature then I would have to say that very few people in this forum would come close to being qualified. So what is it that we are looking for here?

Good point Jimmy. After

Good point Jimmy. After reading Ken Bobs book I tried bending my knees more and "running low" and since then I've developed some knee problems and foot problems. I've been trying to adjust my way out of them, which has worked for the knee, but not quite for the foot yet.

So I guess it boils down to exactly what we're looking for (like you said). A "coach" seems like they should know how to help me fix my problems in addition to being able to teach the basics and maybe develop training schedules. An "instructor" (for lack of a better term) would be someone who can teach the basics but nor a lot more than that.

Well that would be the difference for me anyway.

anyone who wants to be a

anyone who wants to be a certified bf running coach just needs to send me $1500 and needs to renew it every two years at $500. that would be a good bf coach.

Mike

Here goes.  You all know why

Here goes. You all know why I asked this question, created this thread.

I'm building a map of barefoot running instructors, not Pose instructors, not Chi instructors, not any kind of instructor, but someone who teaches barefoot running technique.

Do I just throw everyone on the map who says they want to teach BFR? Should they have some sort of qualifications, experience, book-learning? Or do I put everyone up there and have a small print disclosure of some kind? If so, what should the fine print say?

I think it would not be bad

I think it would not be bad to have a directory that includes trainers who barefoot run who can work with barefoot runners, regardless of specialty, whether it be Pilates or Zumba or running or weights - I think that is appropriate. I think as long as ou are clear about the backgrounds and expertise and what is offered, it's fine. I am actually more impressed with physical trainers now that I have spent a year rehabbing a core injury with a few from my gym and I tend to be more in the camp of wanting real training expertise ala Jimmy over experience with barefoot running per se. But other people might have different needs and want someone who is simply an experienced BFR to motivate and inspire them.

I think it's great that you are working on this, TJ! I know a lot of beginning barefoot runners (people who have caught interest watching me do it, even though I am not an evangelist type, including a subelite friend who started doing some limited barefoot workouts). I've asked far and wide and there is not much interest around here in a barefoot running clinic, but if a coach wanted to come out, I could organize an event in Philly.

What if instead of just a map

What if instead of just a map whoever wanted to be put on it also included a small bio that showed their "qualifications" whatever it is that they deemed worth telling people? That way anyone looking at it could decide for themselves.

Exactly what I am

Exactly what I am considering, Ms. AJB! ;-) Great minds think alike! A map that has a push pin for each person who feels they are qualified in some way to instruct others about barefoot running technique, with their contact info, their bio, their experience, their presumed qualifications (as they see them), their website (should they have one) with their schedule of clinics (should they have planned them), what their fee is or if it is free, what will be offered (as in what can be expected at a clinic), and a disclaimer from the BRS. We'll let the public decide if they want to seek instruction from them. It would be nice to also have a review section of the clinics, which will help attendees and instructors alike; attendees can help others decide if they feel that course is worth taking based on their experience, and instructors will receive feedback, so they will know how well they did and if they need to improve.

Thoughts, all?

Now, who would like to

Now, who would like to volunteer to take this project on? It shouldn't take long. Basically gather all the info and enter the data into a map that I will set you up with.

Good idea, J.  Google has a

Good idea, J. Google has a system we can use for this. What questions, precisely? You go first.

You could use Surveymonkey

You could use Surveymonkey if you don't expct many responses.

Name

Website

Phone

Email

Barefoot runner?

Minimalist runner?

Coaching specialty

Certifications/Professional Development

Special Interests

Having the specialty and interests different fields would allow someone to be able to indicate that they are growing into their experience with barefoot running. For example, a running coach might say they offer Pose coaching and then in special interests they could indicate that while they have never coached a barefoot runner they are interested and are experimenting in barefoot running themselves.

And add:How long have you

And add:

How long have you been running barefoot?

How about?:

How often do you run barefoot?

What is your weekly barefoot mileage?

Barefoot TJ wrote:And

Barefoot TJ said:
And add:

How long have you been running barefoot?

How about?:

How often do you run barefoot?

What is your weekly barefoot mileage?

I think you should ask instead "What percentage of your running miles do you do barefoot (ie. no shoes)?" and "What percentage of your running miles do you do in minimalist shoes (huaraches, Vibram Five Fingers, etc.). If they are injured or doing low mileage because they are training for a tri or something, they don't have to feel caught out just because they are at a low part of their training cycle in terms of miles run. Some coaches don't run at all but are still effective coaches - maybe they gave it up because they are too old or have a really insurmountable injury or are just working at coaching. I think it would have to be looked at whether that would be OK. I mean, Al Salazar doesn't seem to run much, but he's a top coach, right? I don't necessarily think to be a good coach you have to run alot yourself, just like you can't rely on the advice of someone just because they are a 2:15 marathoner, KWIM? Others may have different thoughts, especially in terms of barefoot running...

On another note, if someone wants to do a Philly clinic, let me know quick. I am about to contact a local coach to see if he would do it.

Again, we'll let the peeps

Again, we'll let the peeps make their decision. We just ask the questions. I would not go to someone who hasn't run a decent amount of miles barefoot, but that's just me.

Barefoot TJ wrote:Again,

Barefoot TJ said:
Again, we'll let the peeps make their decision. We just ask the questions. I would not go to someone who hasn't run a decent amount of miles barefoot, but that's just me.

I agee. I am more talking about someone who is just not running a lot barefoot currently. I would not mind a coach who was not running a lot due to injury or age or other priorities but I would want them to have run a lot barefoot at some point. Does that make sense?

Yes, I agree.

Yes, I agree.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts