What is wrong with this photo?

Gkikas

Barefooters
Mar 23, 2011
110605_Siesta_close.jpg

Um.... why were MOST of the runners on this beautiful beach running in stoopidshoes ??? >_<

I know we're mostly barefoot runners, but maybe some of you in larger running circles (I don't know many other runners in real life) can ask your shoddies what posseses them to run in shoes on the beach.

I know.  It's so

I know. It's so disappointing. I ran in Florida year before last on the beach, and I was the only one running barefoot. Covered 5 miles along the shore that day. This year, I'm going to ask, "What's with the shoes?"

I ran in the Beach Bash here

I ran in the Beach Bash here in Adelaide and out of well over 100 runners I think there were around 5 who ran without shoes. The time I ran in it last year the tide was right in and water was almost waist deep on the way back and guess what........ people still wore their stupid shoes.

I bet they had to spend money shortly after to get them replaced due to salty seawater causing them to fall apart.

Neil

I can't run on the beach in

I can't run on the beach in NJ in shoes or BF. The sand's so soft I feel like I'm up to my knees in...sand. I prefer the road or boardwalk, even BF. The beach is for fishing!

I think it's because it is

I think it's because it is completely ingrained that you need shoes on when running or just to be outside. This month's issue of Runners World has a recommendation from the Ask Miles column to run barefoot on the beach. His reasoning is because you'll be pouring sand out of your shoes for the rest of your life but at least the advice is good.

Well from past experience, I

Well from past experience, I do believe I have the answer. If you have been wearing foot coffins long enough you'll have no toe strength. When I went on vacation over a year ago, after having just recently begun barefooting/minimal shoe wearing, and walked the beach, my toes kept getting bent back... painfully, because my toes could not hold position as I followed through each step. I told my wife about it and she said that happens until you build up some strength. Who knew? When I was a small kid I never had that problem, but then again, I was barefoot a LOT more then. Of course in shoes this is not a problem since the toes never get involved and you can force through the sand regardless. Still, it is a shame.