What I learned re: sports nutrition

khyricat

Barefooters
Jan 14, 2011
As some of you know, I am running again, but sports nutrition was never my focus as a dietitian, I am trying to change that a bit, but it will probably never be the sole focus of my practice. Because of that, I am learning as I go, and will share what I learn here. I attended a session on sports nutrition during a recent dietetics conference. The woman who taught the session, Christine Bradd, MS, RD, CSCS, SCCC: http://www.rad.msu.edu/DNN/Default.aspx?tabid=588 runs the sports nutrition program for the MSU athletes.

Nutritional supplements are not encouraged; especially those which are single nutrient on the micro or macronutrient level. It is better to get the nutrition we need from foods. If someone does need to supplement food with other things, look to dry milk powder or powdered eggs added to food and drink for extra protein, Gatorade if appropriate, and Ensure, Boost or Carnation instant breakfast if extra calories are needed via liquid rather than solid form.

One thing to consider is that negative caloric/energy balance is what leads to stress fractures and the like. The body leeches nutrition. Also remember that the body needs varying types of foods for fuel, including carbohydrates, protein and fats. Too much or too little of any one will case issues. Caloric needs can be calculated simply, but if weight is changing may need adjustments as not everyone burns in the same way. For the average 19-50yr old man/woman they are as follows:

Activity level

Male Kcal/Kg/Day

Female Kcal/Kg/Day

Sedentary

Very light

Light (15grams/1000kcal. Fat should be 20-35% of an athlete’s diet, but less than 10% should be saturated fats. Protein for an athlete should be 1.2-2.0 grams/kg body weight. This number increases as activity level and caloric needs increase.

She had a very interesting slide on a marathon runner study that compared exhaustion levels/hitting the wall points with different types of dietary intakes pre run.. it said a moderate carb diet did better than a low or high carb diet. I emailed her for a reference, but am still waiting for a response.

Too few carbohydrates in the diet will lead to less glycogen storage and slower replacement of glycogen. Glycogen depletion in endurance athletes has been proven to lead to increased need for oxygen and in turn faster fatigue. It also leads to faster dehydration (1 glycogen holds 2 water molecules), and increases the breakdown of muscle tissue itself for energy. The use of skeletal muscle for energy may seem acceptable, but it decreases your training levels.

In order to build muscle mass OR lose weight (raised metabolism) it is important to eat every 3-4 hours. This is the ideal time period for nutrient absorption as well. The coaches and dietitians working at MSU have developed a power hour based on their research- having a small pre and post snack within 30-45 minutes of exercise. These snacks should ideally have protein and carbohydrates. An example if you just want a drink of something ideal would be chocolate milk. Other suggestions are apple and peanut butter, or crackers and cheese. Before exercise snacks should be 30-50 grams of carbohydrates and 10-20 grams of protein, low in fat and fiber to top off glycogen stores. After exercise should be 75 grams carbohydrate and 20 grams protein to replace the glycogen stores.

Remember hydration is very important. If you are doing less than 60 minutes of exercise in normal temps, water is plenty for hydration, more than 60 minutes, or temps over 80 degrees, a mix of water and sports drink is best. Athletes may need more fluid than they think for every pound of water weight lost during exercise you need 3 cups or 24 oz of fluid to replace it. During football practice a player may lose up to 8 pounds of fluid. The best thing is to be well hydrated before you start and stay that way. Urine color can be an indicator of dehydration- it should be lemonade colored or lighter. Apple juice color is severe dehydration starting. The body being 2% dehydrated can lead to a 25-30% depletion in performance.

Cramping can come from EITHER dehydration or glycogen depletion. Keep this in mind when deciding how to cope with it. This is the time for a sweetened sports drink as it will help with either (Gatorade for example).

Supplements:

A healthy balanced diet is best. There are supplements that can lead to inadvertent doping, or to dehydration. Creatine is one that can lead to dehydration. It is in meat products and eggs naturally. Taking too much can cause dehydration as your body uses water to process it and it attracts water when going out as waste in excess. Also some supplements can contain things that aren’t healthy. One student she saw developed a toxic level of heavy metals from using a product called muscle milk.

Protein supplements are useful in moderation if you aren’t getting enough protein in your diet, but most people who use them take too much and they crowd out the intake of carbohydrates needed to replenish glycogen in the muscles. When you consider the expense of most protein bars and supplements- think about things like canned tuna, milk, chicken breast or a scrambled egg, which are just as effective at much less cost.

Caffeine is a stimulant, and illegal in sports in quantity. It takes 1 hour to absorb. There is some proof that small amounts (1-3mg/kg) are just as effective as a larger dose in the body, and it really doesn’t do anything as far as glycogen sparing. It can moderately improve performance (still being researched) in activity that is greater than 1 hour in duration.

The big things I learned were that most stress fractures come from negative caloric balance. Athletes who suffer a lot of stress fractures often reduce them greatly by increasing caloric intake (and in turn gaining a few pounds) and maintaini
ng that intake level. Their performance often improves dramatically as well. Sleep disturbances can also be a sign of a negative caloric balance and are very negatively impacting on exercise.

Thanks for taking the time to

Thanks for taking the time to post this. That is also interesting about creatine, I have never heard of it having a negative effect.

One question are the protein recomendations for lean body mass like before or total?

all kcal/kg numbers are based

all kcal/kg numbers are based on adjusted body weight if someone is NOT mostly LBM.. adjusted body weight is calculated by taking (total weight - lbm)*.25 and adding that to LBM. the assumption is if you are enough of an athlete to be involved in that program that you would be within an acceptable amount of LBM. (she runs the SNAPP program at MSU). runners are NOT all that way, but for the most part, we are close enough that just going one step down in the amounts is a good starting point if we're overweight..

Thanks for putting this all

Thanks for putting this all together for us, Amie. That took a lot of work. I'm sure many people will find it very helpful.

khyricat wrote:One note that

khyricat said:
One note that I know will not be taken well by my readers in one location: Carbohydrates are needed by athletes as a fuel source. Performance has been shown to increase consistently in athletes who switch from super low carbohydrate to moderate carbohydrate diets. Carbohydrates are the fuel used for muscle contraction and also prevent muscle breakdown. They should come from healthy carbohydrate sources as much as possible, whole grains, fruits and vegetables, as opposed to overly processed sources.

That certainly explains why I am addicted to batata. (Potatoes with lemon juice, crushed garlic, and extra virgin olive oil. Eaten with pita bread.)

Good work Cat.

Barefoot Joe,You will have

Barefoot Joe,

You will have to start a thread to share your recipes. Everytime you write about food it makes me hungry.

Potatoes with lemon juice, crushed garlic, and extra virgin olive oil --> Do you boil or sauté the potatoes?

OK..  the beans comment

OK.. the beans comment (while accurate) had be cracking up as I was sitting in a roomful of knitters who were talking about star trek and trying to explain the shows to a non trekkie as one had just met George Takkei and the non trekkie wasn't getting it... And I checked my email when it beeped and started cracking up!

And Joe- please share recipes.. I have a number of them on my blog, but they aren't all aimed at sports nutrition, though many are cross applicable.. www.eating4living.com

saypay45 wrote:Welll being a

saypay45 said:
Welll being a paleo hack I disagree with most of this, but find it very thorough and thoughtful. Thank you for sharing!
As another paleo-ish runner, I second that. I pretty much do the opposite of what the recommended "healthy" diet. And it's worked wonders.

The funny thing, it's not that much different than running barefoot. Do everything that conventional wisdom says you shouldn't do, and you will be in good shape.

I wish she had gotten back to

I wish she had gotten back to me with the info for the study, but she's on vacation and hasn't replied to the email I sent yet.. it might wait until she's back to work. That was the part I found most of interest. Personally I don't love paleo, but if you leave in potatoes, and count fruits and veggies you can still follow the proportion and kcal amounts shown with a paleo diet.. just takes some planning..

sloutre wrote:Barefoot

sloutre said:
Barefoot Joe,

You will have to start a thread to share your recipes. Everytime you write about food it makes me hungry.

Potatoes with lemon juice, crushed garlic, and extra virgin olive oil --> Do you boil or sauté the potatoes?

I personally like it boiled and mashed..but it can be cut up and fried in corn oil as well.

With some fresh salata on the side, you're taste buds will be thanking you.

Joe, it's been on my mind

Joe, it's been on my mind since I read your post. I'll try tomorrow. What's not to love about garlic, good olive oil and lemon?...Maybe the garlic breath afterwards....

Sloutre, I noticed that olive

Sloutre, I noticed that olive oil, lemon, and garlic are used extensively in our cuisine.

In Hummos and Baba Ghanouj, use those three plus some tahini and salt.

Whenever I need a really good breakfast/lunch, I turn to one of my favorite dishes..Fool.

http://www.recipetrezor.com/fool-mudamasfava-beans/

With two eggs and lots of pita bread, I'll be straight till 4 or 5 PM.

I had the potatoes mashed

I had the potatoes mashed with garlic, olive oil and lemon juice last night and I'm sure it will be on out menu on a regular basis. It was delicious.

Now I'll add fava beans to my grocery list to try the fool...or I'll get some in J's neighborhood one day.

Homemade hummus is always a favorite at our house and I have to learn a good recipe for Baba Ghanouj because we love that too. I guess we love anything made with garlic and olive oil and lemon...

One note/addendum:  you

One note/addendum: you stated that cramping can come from dehydration or glycogen depletion. Need to add that electrolytes are key to avoiding/overcoming cramping issues. You usually have to be running 4+ hours for that to be an issue, but it is the #1 solution for endurance athletes to address cramping (because after 4+ hours, you'd better have your hydration dialed, and if you're not eating right, cramping isn't going to be your issue... you won't be moving anywhere!).

Sports drinks, even at full strength, do not provide enough electrolytes for endurance performance. Thus, we have endurolytes, S-caps, Nuun, etc.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts