what I did on IBRD

richards

Barefooters
Aug 27, 2011
Hey all! it has been a long time since I have been on here, life and kids have kept me away. On Sunday I had every intent on attending the Burns Park run in Ann Arbor. I made arrangements with my chain of command to go into drill late so I could run the 5K with Alan. Well on Sunday my unit had a PT test scheduled that I was not going to be required to take! yay! Sunday morning comes and I get a phone call from a worried Soldier, she explained to me that she was worried she was not going to pass the 2mile run in her allotted time which was 19:45. So I told her I would be there to pace her and ensure that she would pass. So I changed out of my running clothes and donned my military uniform and boots (would have rather spent the morning barefoot) I got to the PT field and watched and encouraged her through her sit ups and push ups. Then came the run.... I was worried because I knew that in order for her to pass I was going to have to run faster then my own pace which is normally about a 10min mile. In order for me to do this for her, I would wait for her at the 1 mile mark see where she was on time and pick up the last mile with her and just push myself harder. When I saw her coming I took off my boots and socks gave them to a PFC standing there and told him to bring them back to the finish line for me (he looked at me like I was crazy) When she got to the mark I started running with her, encouraging her and yes yelling at her. She said I was crazy for running barefoot (in uniform) I told her thats how I run and "if you can talk to me then your not pushing yourself hard enough" So I picked up the pace even more, told her to slow down her breathing. She said she wanted to throw up, I said thats fine but don't stop running to do it! When she saw the finish line she started to cry, and push herself more.... I yelled at her to sprint out the last few meters, which she did and made it to the finish in 1845! She then proceeded to throw up and cry and thank me. She said if I hadn't been there to encourage her she wouldn't have passed and probably would have stopped to walk a bit. !! So that is how I spent IBRD...and of course everybody at the finish line couldn't believe that I ran it barefoot...I wish someone had gotten a picture of it.

I do too! Awesome story. Good that you put your desires behind someone's needs. And thank you for your service. -TJ P.S. We need a saluting smiley around here.

Yes! What a great IBRD story.
Maybe we should do a staged photo shoot after the fact.
The news media do it all the time!

Wasn't it Army that published the pro-barefoot study a few months ago? Not that they endorsed it for PT or anything, but still, the benefits have been documented by the branch researchers. Or was it the Air Force?

Wasn't it Army that published the pro-barefoot study a few months ago? Not that they endorsed it for PT or anything, but still, the benefits have been documented by the branch researchers. Or was it the Air Force?
I think that was Army LB, but I think they still have vff's banned and I believe barefeet as well. An example of how anal they can be is that when I was stationed in Hawaii they would hand out article 15's over sunburns if they were bad enough. They would call it destruction of military property because they basically own you when you're serving. I nearly got an article 15 over it my second weekend in the unit after going to the beach and getting badly burned.

Great !!! Army is asking us about transition to barefoot courses too... so maybe something is changing! ;-D

By the way, great history. Congratulations

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
From my understanding Vibrams are authorized during PT but not for an actual PT test...either way my Battalion Commander was out there running with Soldiers as well and never said anything to me about being "out of uniform"...lol... During a PT test I usually wear Feelmax because they don't look like a minimalist shoe...

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts