What else do you do besides running?

Barefoot Gentile

Barefooters
Apr 5, 2010
Fairfield, CT
I am starting to get back to my first love, which is playing basketball. I started to shoot around again and will start to play some full court games, but will wait for that after my 50k in May, which I can't wait to run because I realized how much I hate running long distances. I really started to miss playing organized sports, and running all the time is so mundane.

I burned out on triathlon while training for ironman, many do. I could not wait to finish the ironman. My road bike has not touched pavment since and I stopped swimming lengths. Now I have started marshal arts, somethng I have always wanted to do but delayed until ironman was over.

I lift 5 days a week, am working on my dissertation, coach Soccer, Teach Math, and ride my Harley when there is time lol.

Also working on a half iron man for may, after that I'm going to slow down my running and go for distance and enjoyment instead of trying to get faster.

I wrestled for 18 years
Lifted on and off for 6 years
Tennis for 4
Capoeira for 3
and now have graduated to ladder ball and beer :D

Reactions: 7ships and jldeleon
The nice thing about running, rowing, and weight-lifting is that I can do them anytime they fit into my schedule, which is pretty unpredictable. Having that flexibility is key to exercising regularly. I would love to play a pick-up game of basketball or soccer or maybe even get back into karate (this time non-full-contact), but those options would all involve more scheduling, which isn't practicable right now. Plus, I'm curious to see how far I can push the BFR distances. That's my training focus right now. I could never run more than 5 miles with shoes before my knees would get sore. BFR seems to be opening up possibilities for me. And that's more exciting, for me, at this stage of my development, than playing real sports (I don't consider fitness training or races to be sports--not enough strategy and tactics).

Some weightlifting and swimming. My schedule is also unpredictable, so I just keep my swimming and running stuff in my car.

I burnt out once like this Gentile. It was while training up for a double century (204 miles) on the bike. My bike hasn't left the trainer in 5 years since. Part of that was just being burned out but then my back problems got so bad that I couldn't go back to it.

I love working out in the gym which I just started doing again. I used to do doubles 6 days a week, but my back halted that. Now a days just 2-4 days a week and only light weights high rep. I also like to bowl. :D

I run Tough Mudders because they involve climbing, swimming,etc and so try to add those things to my training.

I've also done capoeira, tai chi, crossfit training, and may be mountain biking this summer (if I have time)

I just try to keep it fun, but I also love running

???No idea what those are, I was just using natural squatting down and explosively jumping as high as I could. Watching my son as he took the lead on how to do it. Figured if he liked it why wouldn't I? :p

I section hike the Appalachian Trail each year for a couple weeks (100-140 miles) on my journey to cover all 2200 miles. Running barefoot has really helped my hiking by strengthening my ankles and feet.

I also have been riding motorycles for 41 years now and started competing in vintage trials riding which is a blast!

I burnt out once like this Gentile. It was while training up for a double century (204 miles) on the bike. My bike hasn't left the trainer in 5 years since. Part of that was just being burned out but then my back problems got so bad that I couldn't go back to it.

I love working out in the gym which I just started doing again. I used to do doubles 6 days a week, but my back halted that. Now a days just 2-4 days a week and only light weights high rep. I also like to bowl. :D

I wish it was a burn out, but it's more not running enough actually.

I was just going to post that it's pretty normal to feel burnt out a month before a race if you've been hitting the training hard. I'm feeling like I may never want to run again at this point. But if you've been takin' er easy.... then I guess that's not it.

I got a slackline last month. That's my other thing now.

Hah! I just tried slack-lining the other month -thanks to paraganek- and it was challenging to say the least. He and I joined a newly formed slacklining club out here, but it's only had a couple of meetups, neither of which I could attend. :( It's Oregon, so they have to wait for it to be dry enough to use the slackline without people slipping off it and breaking their butts. Lol.