What beer are you drinking tonight? For the new forum...

Canned beer is enjoying a renaissance among the craft brewers. It keeps it fresher, avoiding the skunk from light penetration. Aluminum cans also recycle more easily than bottles. I have almost exclusively moved to canned craft beers. Lately it's been the New Belgium Shift Pale Lager. It comes in tall boys and does its job quite nicely. I also enjoy Caldera brewing and Oskar Blues brewing's canned offerings.
I love it ice cold, right out of the can.
images

It's Shift tonight. I may end up...wait for it...shift-faced before the night is over...
I'm sorry but they've been feeding you a bunch of BS,We(belgians) don't even know what shift lager is...that's a bunch of media BS calling it belgian to get you guys to buy it.It's probably some german ******* they put in a can add some graphic and some adds on tv.But as long as you think it's OK,you should enjoy and get shit-faced and have a hell of a good time!!:)As for the cans,the bottles get reused the cans get recycled,but in general people here drink bottles because the taste is better.Especially the heavier manosstery beers,they are kept in bottle more or less like you would wine.Those beers that they call lager you don't see them here,we tend to think they're a bit lemonade like. ;)Hoping you got shit faced pretty good!!lol

Summer time, I like a damn cold Moosehead lager. Only $9.99 for 12. Plus, this way I get to show my support for Canada (we Minnesotans are kind of honorary Canadians, except like most Americans, we don't really know too much about it, except that their football fields are bigger). Maybe if Belgium got hotter you'd appreciate lagers more ;) . For me, ales are for winter.

Reactions: Robin
Summer time, I like a damn cold Moosehead lager. Only $9.99 for 12. Plus, this way I get to show my support for Canada (we Minnesotans are kind of honorary Canadians, except like most Americans, we don't really too much about it, except that their football fields are bigger). Maybe if Belgium got hotter you'd appreciate lagers more ;) . For me, ales are for winter.

Cold ale in a frozen glass,that's how it's done...;):D

Reactions: Bare Lee
Summer time, I like a damn cold Moosehead lager. Only $9.99 for 12. Plus, this way I get to show my support for Canada (we Minnesotans are kind of honorary Canadians, except like most Americans, we don't really too much about it, except that their football fields are bigger). Maybe if Belgium got hotter you'd appreciate lagers more ;) . For me, ales are for winter.
I love canada a lot i've lived in quebec...i'm still sorry that i had to come back to belgium:)

What kind of ales do you like? One of my best friends married a Belgian woman and has become quite the connoisseur of fine Belgian ales. He calls his basement mini-bar the "kelder"--the fridge is always full of at least 5-6 different kinds of Belgian ale.

Well,kelder=basement,just so you know,we'll have you speaking dutch in no time!:)
The ones I like best are,KASTEEL(=castle),LA CHOUFFE,CINEY,WESTMALLE and LINDEMANS KRIEK(which is a cherry based ale,it's very typical of belgium,I don't think other countries make something like it).Those are the best loved ones for me,I always drink "dubbel"(=double) but it means the bown kind of the brand.There's also "triple"(it means what it says:)) those are the light coloured kind.Not to be be confused with low alcohol or something it's just different ingredients.Brown or dark ones are sweeter to the taste,the triples are more bitter.Last I heard belgium has 653 kinds of beer but a lot of 'm are the same ones in different bottles and lable.Especailly since INBEV a belgian based brewer went worldwide and bought so many brewers they can put whatever they want in whichever bottle.It hasn't done any good to the quality of ours beers,and foreign beers either for that matter:)Globalisation sucks...
The beers I mentioned are all brewed on a smaller scale,are all brewed without conservatives.you can get shit faced and not get sick the next day. I guess that LEFFE is pretty popular in the US too,this is a perfect example of a monastry ale that used to be very good and since INBEV bought the label turned into a worldwide hit and the mass-production cut its qaulity in half;)

What kind of ales do you like? One of my best friends married a Belgian woman and has become quite the connoisseur of fine Belgian ales. He calls his basement mini-bar the "kelder"--the fridge is always full of at least 5-6 different kinds of Belgian ale.

Yeah one of the perks of marrying a belgian:rolleyes: :)

Well,kelder=basement,just so you know,we'll have you speaking dutch in no time!:)
The ones I like best are,KASTEEL(=castle),LA CHOUFFE,CINEY,WESTMALLE and LINDEMANS KRIEK(which is a cherry based ale,it's very typical of belgium,I don't think other countries make something like it).Those are the best loved ones for me,I always drink "dubbel"(=double) but it means the bown kind of the brand.There's also "triple"(it means what it says:)) those are the light coloured kind.Not to be be confused with low alcohol or something it's just different ingredients.Brown or dark ones are sweeter to the taste,the triples are more bitter.Last I heard belgium has 653 kinds of beer but a lot of 'm are the same ones in different bottles and lable.Especailly since INBEV a belgian based brewer went worldwide and bought so many brewers they can put whatever they want in whichever bottle.It hasn't done any good to the quality of ours beers,and foreign beers either for that matter:)Globalisation sucks...
The beers I mentioned are all brewed on a smaller scale,are all brewed without conservatives.you can get shit faced and not get sick the next day. I guess that LEFFE is pretty popular in the US too,this is a perfect example of a monastry ale that used to be very good and since INBEV bought the label turned into a worldwide hit and the mass-production cut its qaulity in half;)
Thanks for the tips. I'll have to try to pick up one of those next time I visit my friend.

Yeah one of the perks of marrying a belgian:rolleyes: :)
Yah, a slightly better translation might be 'cellar', in the spirit of a wine cellar or something. Basement for us usually evokes a rec room, which is not the spirit of my friend's basement. It's very mid-century and mod. Amazingly, he speaks decent Dutch, despite only having visited Belgium/Holland for short periods.

I'm sorry but they've been feeding you a bunch of BS,We(belgians) don't even know what shift lager is...that's a bunch of media BS calling it belgian to get you guys to buy it.It's probably some german ******* they put in a can add some graphic and some adds on tv.But as long as you think it's OK,you should enjoy and get shit-faced and have a hell of a good time!!:)As for the cans,the bottles get reused the cans get recycled,but in general people here drink bottles because the taste is better.Especially the heavier manosstery beers,they are kept in bottle more or less like you would wine.Those beers that they call lager you don't see them here,we tend to think they're a bit lemonade like. ;)Hoping you got shit faced pretty good!!lol
Actually, not sure about the shift beer, but New Belgiums Fat Tire was modeled after a Belgium beer by an American home brewer (he really liked a particular beer while on a trip over there back in '85 I believe) who then had great success and was able to turn around and sell it, hence the company name of New Belgium.

Nick beat me to it! New Belgium is the name of a brewer in Colorado. The first beers they produced were all modeled after Belgian ales. They have expanded over time to add non-Belgian style beers like Shift, and the Ranger IPA along with some seasonals. I know it's not Belgian:). My wife grew up, at least spent her high school years, in Brussels and her dad is quite the Belgian beer fan so I've had the real deal as well.

Yeah, the real monastery ales should be aged like wine. There's a brewer here in Oregon that does a bourbon porter that gets aged in bourbon barrels. It gets better with age, so I usually lay a couple down for a while before enjoying.

The best thing about cans is camping/going to events. Cans are a safer alternative so you don't leave busted glass around campsites and such. I really have not noticed a taste difference in bottles and cans of the beers I've had (Fat Tire Ale; I did a blind test and couldn't identify the canned vs the bottled).

To each his own, right?

Nick beat me to it! New Belgium is the name of a brewer in Colorado. The first beers they produced were all modeled after Belgian ales. They have expanded over time to add non-Belgian style beers like Shift, and the Ranger IPA along with some seasonals. I know it's not Belgian:). My wife grew up, at least spent her high school years, in Brussels and her dad is quite the Belgian beer fan so I've had the real deal as well.

Yeah, the real monastery ales should be aged like wine. There's a brewer here in Oregon that does a bourbon porter that gets aged in bourbon barrels. It gets better with age, so I usually lay a couple down for a while before enjoying.

The best thing about cans is camping/going to events. Cans are a safer alternative so you don't leave busted glass around campsites and such. I really have not noticed a taste difference in bottles and cans of the beers I've had (Fat Tire Ale; I did a blind test and couldn't identify the canned vs the bottled).

To each his own, right?
Did someone mention broken glass?

But seriously (almost), I think beer in cans only tastes different if you drink it from the can. If you pour it right into a glass, it should even be a little better than bottled beer, all things being equal, because the seal is tighter and no light can penetrate.

If I'm ever in Oregon I'm definitely raiding your stash . . .

Reactions: Robin and NickW
All this talk of Belgian beer is making me jealous! It's a long while since I've been there. I did geta trip to Holland last year, adn the beer there is good, but it doesn't match the good dark Belgian beers.

I was pleasantly surprised by the Australian beer I had last night, much higher level of hoppiness and bitterness than I was expecting, like a decent IPA. Just need to remember which one it was!

If there's ever something you'd like to try and can't get in the US,let me know.I can send it over...;)

Since you are offering any chance you can get me a case of this? Pretty pretty please?

http://www.sintsixtus.be/eng/brouwerij.htm

I'll try any of them!

Trappist Westvleteren Blond (5,8 vol.% ABV) 30,00 euros
Trappist Westvleteren 8 (dark) (8 vol.% ABV) 34,00 euros
Trappist Westvleteren 12 (dark) (10,2 vol.% ABV) 39,00 euros

A that and/or Labatts blue too.

It's funny you say that, I always clump them together too.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts