What beer are you drinking tonight? For the new forum...

Discussion in 'The Barefoot Pub' started by NotSoDoomedRunner, Feb 27, 2012.

1. mokaman

mokaman Chapter Presidents
    1. Georgia

My 51st birthday was earlier this week but didn't have a chance to have a birthday beer...so right now I'm smoking a nice full bodied cigar and drinking a Dogfish Head Ale Sixty-One. I hadn't seen this beer before so picked up a 4 pack to drink along with a couple favorites. The Sixty-one isn't bad but not as hoppy as I prefer in an IPA but still good for a med hoppy beer...i'd say its in between an IPA and a pale ale. Its brewed with a bit of Syrah grape but its not very apparent to me...maybe that is for the better.

Abide and NickW like this.
  2. rickwhitelaw

rickwhitelaw Barefooters
    1. Oregon
    2. Utah
    3. Arizona -...

Hey, several BRS B-days this week. Mine was yesterday. I had a Squatters Hop Rising Double IPA and a Deschutes Red Chair. Time to switch to some lighter beers for the summer if it ever arrives. Still freezing every night here.

Happy Birthday Bob, Mokaman, and whoever else I missed. My brother and niece also. A good week.

NickW likes this.
  3. Longboard

Longboard Chapter Presidents
    1. Michigan

Happy Birthday Y'all!

rickwhitelaw likes this.
  4. BFwillie_g

BFwillie_g Barefooters
    1. New York
    2. Germany &...

Along the 'Brauereienweg' (Brewery Trail) last Sunday ... a nice sign to see after 45 difficult, hot kilometers! Beergartens in every direction :)

67717702_1367755859037.jpg

rickwhitelaw and Tristan-OH like this.
  5. NotSoDoomedRunner

NotSoDoomedRunner Barefooters
    1. Texas - Austin

My first altbier tonight. Part of Real ale brewing co.'s Brewer's Cut series. I don't think I like it. I usually really like rabc beers, but this one is not one I will buy again. I think I might dislike malts.

6. NickW

NickW Guest

Well Tristan, I decided to pony up the big bucks for your Ommegang Three Philosophers. Wow, what a strange and drinkable beer. It has fruity hints, which I believe is some type of cherry. It goes down really smooth for a 9.8% ABV beer. To me, it reminds me of some of the German beers I've had, only better tasting. Not sure it was worth the $12.49 sale price though. Probably not something I would drink very often, but occasionally as a change up it would be good. That price really kills the value of the beer too in my opinion.

7. NickW

NickW Guest

So I ended up having to throw out most of the second glass of that Three Philosophers. I just couldn't drink the second glass as hard as I tried. Way too sweet for me and it got to tasting like cough syrup by the time I got to the second glass of it. Hate to think I spent that much and then dumped half of it.

8. inakilt

inakilt Barefooters
    1. Virginia

Should've had a drinking partner.

OdiarAmor and NickW like this.
  9. Abide

Abide Barefooters
    1. Nederland -...

Yeah those are sipping beers, similar to double bastard or Ommengangs Abbey Ale. 220z is overload.

NickW likes this.
  10. NickW

NickW Guest

Now someone tells me this... :)

Bare Lee likes this.
  11. Ronnie B

Ronnie B Barefooters

Disaster this weekend - I gave a guy working at my cottage a cold drink - in my "Wicked Pete's Winter Brew" pint glass I bought in Alaska (infused with the appropriate libation at the time) in 1996 - and he broke it! Now I gotta go back to Alaska to get another!

NickW likes this.
  12. Tristan

Tristan Barefooters
    1. Ohio

Oh sorry to hear Nick! And thats quite a bit more pricey than they are here! I was actually in Giant Eagle yesterday and was going to stock up on some crafty beers, they were out of Three Philosophers but I think it was $8. I picked up an Hennepin and Rare Voss, havent tried those yet, and they were a couple bucks cheaper.

Yeah I probably should have said its more of a sipping beer, but thats what I was getting at when I said it was heavy and rich I guess.

I'm surpised though, I've only ever drain poured two beers before, and actually #2 was last night. On a whim the last time I was shopping I picked up a Magic Hat sampler - never had any of thier beers before. The first one was ok, I forget which it was but last night I tried the Coniferous Concoction. I just couldnt stomache it. Had some wierd aftertaste in my mouth that reminded me of smouldering plastic or something. :yuck:

Had to wash it down with something else - took a gamble on another new-to-me brew (but Great Lakes hasnt let me down so far) with a Lake Erie Monster Imperial IPA and went out and enjoyed the last bit of the sunset:
    photo.JPG photo.JPG

rickwhitelaw and NickW like this.
  13. NickW

NickW Guest

That looks like a great beer Tristan. I am really big on imperial ipa's. They seem to hit my palette just right, usually.

14. Lomad

Lomad Barefooters
    1. Oregon
    2. Washington

Tonight= deschutes twilight ale. My go to summer beer. I may be going in for another round in a moment...

NickW likes this.
  15. rickwhitelaw

rickwhitelaw Barefooters
    1. Oregon
    2. Utah
    3. Arizona -...

Saw that in a grocery store here in Utah. Is it 4% where you are or do they make separate batches for the lightweight states?

16. NickW

NickW Guest

huh, their website says it's 5% Rick.

17. rickwhitelaw

rickwhitelaw Barefooters
    1. Oregon
    2. Utah
    3. Arizona -...

That's why I was surprised to see Decshutes in the grocery store (only 4% is sold in regular stores), the label said 4%. Not that 1% matters, but once in a while I feel a little ripped off. Unless I'm out in the sun, I prefer a beer that has about 5.5 to 7 percent.

18. NickW

NickW Guest

Weird. They must have brewed a special batch for you Utah folks... So, do all the beers have to be in the 4% range then? Is that a state law or something?

19. NickW

NickW Guest

I have a new beer that is easily one of my favorites. I went to the local New Seasons today, they have the best beer selection by the way, and picked up a couple of 22ouncers. I am drinking the first right now and it is absolutely fantastic! It is a California beer :-( by SpeakEasy called Double Daddy Imperial IPA. I've seen this beer several times but the bottle had turned me off due to the mobster guy on a playing card. It's my own quirk I guess, I just don't like the whole mobster thing. Glad I got over the bottle because the beer itself is really good. Well worth the $5 I spent on it. My other beer I got is one I had bought and threw away because I thought something was wrong with it at the time. This is the Leafer Madness Imperial IPA. Turns out it's bottle conditioned and the floaties were just yeast and I needed to do a careful slow pour instead of the way I had poured it origionally. Pretty excited to try that one sometime this weekend.

Bare Lee likes this.
  20. Lomad

Lomad Barefooters
    1. Oregon
    2. Washington

Break side brewing Battle of the Bulge Belgian style stout. Every bit as awesome as it sounds.

NickW likes this.