What beer are you drinking tonight? For the new forum...

Guess not all Oregon beers are stellar. ;) I agree though, it is not bad but not top shelf either. I actually used to occasionally get free beer from Rogue because I worked for the company that printed their bottles.

You know I think I like beers from that class to be a little more carbonated and it tastes flat to me. Maybe out of a bottle it would have been better?

Sorry to hear about your friend. Hang in there.

Reactions: NickW
We do, and they are goooooood. :p

I think my problem is just the particular groceries stores I go to. I'm sure there are places in the city with more of a selection but I don't make special trips for beers. And I rarely ever go to bars - usually only every once in a while after work we will all go out. And I usually only have 1 since I have an hour drive home. :-/ there is actually a World of Beer about 2 miles from me right now (at work) but I've never been. I think there ad says something like 500 beers available and 50 on tap... Someday I'll go... But I usually can't park my truck anywhere around downtown which adds even more problems with going to such places.

I think my problem is just the particular groceries stores I go to. I'm sure there are places in the city with more of a selection but I don't make special trips for beers. And I rarely ever go to bars - usually only every once in a while after work we will all go out. And I usually only have 1 since I have an hour drive home. :-/ there is actually a World of Beer about 2 miles from me right now (at work) but I've never been. I think there ad says something like 500 beers available and 50 on tap... Someday I'll go... But I usually can't park my truck anywhere around downtown which adds even more problems with going to such places.
I usually pick up my beer from the local grocery store and usually in singles so I don't drink too much. I would love to go to a place called the World of Beer! Good thing that's in Ohio and not here. What part of Ohio?

Reactions: Tristan-OH
If any of you guys ever get to Aberdeen while I'm there I've got to show you two places

1) The Brew Dog bar - some awesome beers ramging from a fairly average sounding (not tasting) IPA at 5% to a triple IPA at around 8-9, dark lagers, oak aged beers etc. My current favourite is Cocoa Psycho, a 10% chocolate stout.
2) The Grille Bar - wall to wall whisky, looks like a dive from the outside, but if you're a single malt lover you'll be in heaven. You have a whole book to select from.

I usually pick up my beer from the local grocery store and usually in singles so I don't drink too much. I would love to go to a place called the World of Beer! Good thing that's in Ohio and not here. What part of Ohio?

Columbus... But if memory serves they have multiple locations across the nation.

Picked up some Saranac beers I've not ha before - a winter sampler pack. Trying their Red IPA right now. Me likes :)

Drinking a Pyramid Discord this evening. It is a Dark IPA. This isn't bad. It is not like any IPA I've ever had before and is almost stout like in flavor. I don't really know much about it but it definitely isn't bad if you like dark beer.
IMG_4118 (600x800).jpg

I went local last night St Peters Mild. Only 3.7% but dark and rich with lots of nicely developed toasty flavours, a very easy drinking beer.

Picked up some Saranac beers I've not ha before - a winter sampler pack...

And the aforementioned sampler pack...

Tried out the 4059' Porter this evening, will probably sample one more later. I've had the Big Moose Ale but thats the only one I've had.

Speaking of Porter Mountain, been since the 90's that I climbed it. Or maybe it was the late 80's. I'll be back before too long, but in the meantime this is a nice reminder I need to plan some trips!

And the aforementioned sampler pack...

Tried out the 4059' Porter this evening, will probably sample one more later. I've had the Big Moose Ale but thats the only one I've had.

Speaking of Porter Mountain, been since the 90's that I climbed it. Or maybe it was the late 80's. I'll be back before too long, but in the meantime this is a nice reminder I need to plan some trips!

Now those are my kind of beers! I've been tring lot's of porters and dark beers over the winter.

Reactions: Tristan-OH
P1010229 comp.jpg

The "beer" in question is called Sink the Bismark.

It starts outs as something like a triple IPA and is then freeze concentrated ending up at 41% abv.

It's a massive explosion of hoppiness in the mouth and surprisingly light and fragrant/floral.

Well, I had a beer that I had planned on drinking this evening after spending the day at the hospital up here in Seattle visiting my buddy, but that didn't turn out as planned. The beer I had been looking forward to was called Leafer Madness out of Ontario, Oregon. One of my good friends picked me up this morning to head up here to Seattle and I had been going on and on and on about this beer that I was excited to try. He asked me a question about the beer and so I pulled out the bottle as we were driving so that I could look at the label. I was so fixed on the label that when my friend exclaimed, "What the hell is that?!!!" I looked up and he pointed at the bottle and much to my horror I saw floaties and what looked like silt in the bottle. :wtf: Talk about the heartbreak this caused me. I have never seen a beer do this so I obviously didn't drink it. I'm pretty sure that if I had drank it I would get pretty eff'd up, but not in the way I would want.

Reactions: Bare Lee
Well, I had a beer that I had planned on drinking this evening after spending the day at the hospital up here in Seattle visiting my buddy, but that didn't turn out as planned. The beer I had been looking forward to was called Leafer Madness out of Ontario, Oregon. One of my good friends picked me up this morning to head up here to Seattle and I had been going on and on and on about this beer that I was excited to try. He asked me a question about the beer and so I pulled out the bottle as we were driving so that I could look at the label. I was so fixed on the label that when my friend exclaimed, "What the hell is that?!!!" I looked up and he pointed at the bottle and much to my horror I saw floaties and what looked like silt in the bottle. :wtf: Talk about the heartbreak this caused me. I have never seen a beer do this so I obviously didn't drink it. I'm pretty sure that if I had drank it I would get pretty eff'd up, but not in the way I would want.

If they are relatively small particles, they could just be yeast. Many craft brewers, Sierra Nevada for example, use a process that leaves some yeast still in solution when the beer is bottled, this aids in continued natural fermentation, after a while on the shelf it comes out of solution. I wouldn't be afraid to drink it.

Now if the particles are larger than salt crystals, I am not sure what you are looking at. Might try allowing it to settle before opening and pour gently, leaving the residue in the bottle.

Reactions: Barefoot HannahC
It does sound like yeast sediment in an unfiltered beer. I just happen to have one on hand. :cool:
008a.jpg009a.jpg

This is a tasty unfiltered wheat beer. Pour the first half normally, then pour with the bottle vertical to let the yeast into your beer. Drink to your health. Seriously, that stuff has B vitamins.

Beer Advocate lists sediment in the Leafer Madness review #3. Your beer is as it should be.

Years ago, I struggled with what to get my husband for Valentine's day. A dozen red roses are just to emasculating. A dozen red beers, however, are a great idea. This year, he ave me the same gift. He is very smart.

I have no pictures of Bell's Smitten Golden Rye Ale. It is a great hoppy APA. I meant to take pictures. Pictures of empty bottles pulled out of the recycling are not so cool.

Ohio Brewing Double Irish Red is also a solid Red Ale. It is a not as Hoppy as an APA and pours dark for a red.
011a.jpg

I liked Lager heads Bed Head Red a little better.
011.JPG

Shiner FM966 is everything I wanted the Prohibition lager to be including $2.00 cheaper a 6 pack. While Prohibition makes one wonder why beer was ever legalized again, Shiner shows why people would poop outside in a shack on a cold winters night to keep the room with a bath tub pristine for making hooch.
010.JPG

Finally Pyramid discord Dark IPA, is great if you like a smoky flavor. I don't.
012.JPG

It starts outs as something like a triple IPA and is then freeze concentrated ending up at 41% abv.

My first reaction was WTH with a bit of shock and amazement! :eek::D

Dark beers arent my favorite though, but I do enjoy sampling some stouts and porters and such every once in a while. Thats the great thing about the sampler packs. ;)

... I looked up and he pointed at the bottle and much to my horror I saw floaties and what looked like silt in the bottle.

I recall on a bottle of Ommegang it actually says on the label to pour gently to not disturb the yeast sediment. That was on a corked bottle though, I thought they did something different with those like allowing it to continue to age with added yeast, but sounds like many other beers do this as well.

Speaking of which, I had an Arrogant Bastard a while back in the 22oz bomber or whatever size it was, and it tasted kind of yeastie. I havent noticed that with AB before didnt know if it was just something weird with that batch or if they added extra yeast to their bomber bottles?

Thanks Hannah, good to know. Now these floaties were pretty darn big and there was a ton of it, but now I bet it was just the yeast. I still have the bottle so maybe I will follow your advice after it settles again and try it.

My wife snuck this pic earlier, lol... Beer was great but I was dead tired after a long weekend... uploadfromtaptalk1361732226608.jpg

Back before I'd bought a keg for my home brew and i used to bottle it, it would be bottle conditioned. Half a teaspoon of sugar per bottle, leave it to condition and settle for about ten days, crack the cap, or flip top carefully and pour in one go into a glass or jusg without discturbing the yeast.

Unless of course you're making a wheat bear and then just pour it all in.

A little yeast won't hurt you, the taste of the beer is the key thing.

Reactions: rickwhitelaw

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts