Welcome New Members! Please Start Here

Hi everybody,

I am Steve, Living in Switzerland, at the Léman's shore (Geneva's lake). 3 years ago, I had to lay down for three months following a Spinal disc herniation.
I had to loose weight and start to muscle up. I decide to star running, against my doctors advices. To be sure I would not get injured, I went to listen to a conference called "the Prevention of Running Injuries" by Blaise Dubois.
I got out of the conferance convinced that I have to buy minimalist running shoes. So I did. And started running for the first time in my life. Then... 6 months and 15 kg less later, I was running my first 10k race in 1h10 (may 2014). Still in minimalist.
My back doing perfectly well. I went on training, and this year, I did my 2nd race. The same 10k in 1h00 (so.. 10 mins less :) ). Then, in June, I decided to let my shoes in the drawer... and started running barefoot. The farthest I runned is now 15k barefoot...
My goal is to run next year the 10k barefoot in 55 mins :).
So here we are... looking forward to hear about you guys.

Steve

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
Welcome und Gruss Gott Steve. I used to live in Stuttgart, not too far from you. Sounds like you're doing really well with your transition to minimal/BF running and a general healthier lifestyle. We're glad you have joined us. Enjoy running, and I hope you use this forum extensively to find answers to the questions you may find as you continue your minimalist running process. Tschuss!

Thanks for your warm Welcome Phil. I'd say I had no transition as I never ran with "maximalist shoes". I directly started running minnimalst. My first running shoes ever had a drop of zero :)

Reactions: Phil Hart
Welcome, Duo! :barefoot:

Steve:

Not having bad habits and unhelpful muscle memory to unlearn will make becoming a minimalist/BF runner much easier, but I would still encourage you to go slowly in your transition from not running to running fast or long distances. Doing too much too soon will cause you injuries, like the broken foot-bone I gave myself by running too hard and too far too early in the process of going barefoot. I hope you can avoid that by taking a cue from my previous foolishness.

Phil

I've been a minimalist runner for years and just transitioned to totally BF (although I do use Xero Shoes during the summer...FL asphalt gets pretty hot!) I'm in Tampa and joined the Tampa Chapter as well. I run a company called Fishin' Rules (check us out: www.fishinrules.com) and teach at the National Intelligence University. This year I'm running the Miami to Key West Ragnar and the Gasparilla 1/2 Marathon. Can't wait to meet and network with other BF runners and hikers.

I've been a minimalist runner for years and just transitioned to totally BF (although I do use Xero Shoes during the summer...FL asphalt gets pretty hot!) I'm in Tampa and joined the Tampa Chapter as well. I run a company called Fishin' Rules (check us out: www.fishinrules.com) and teach at the National Intelligence University. This year I'm running the Miami to Key West Ragnar and the Gasparilla 1/2 Marathon. Can't wait to meet and network with other BF runners and hikers.
Welcome, Mak! :barefoot:

New member. Also new to run without my shoes on. And I think it is wonderful. Makes running in shoes seem like running with bricks on my feet. Only my xero shoes sandals and my altra one's are tolerated now. Anyways I am a total rookie though and would love to learn more. already reading the links at the beginning. I am grateful there is a community out here for us! I am in Indianapolis IN and have joined the Indiana chapter.

So greetings to all and go run!

john

Hi John,
As you've probably already seen, there's plenty of useful info. & links to articles, individual reports, etc... here.
Slow and steady progress when you first start is I think a common & sensible 'watch-word'.
-Enjoy the barefoot running!

Reactions: Phil Hart
New member. Also new to run without my shoes on. And I think it is wonderful. Makes running in shoes seem like running with bricks on my feet. Only my xero shoes sandals and my altra one's are tolerated now. Anyways I am a total rookie though and would love to learn more. already reading the links at the beginning. I am grateful there is a community out here for us! I am in Indianapolis IN and have joined the Indiana chapter.

So greetings to all and go run!

john
Welcome again!

John, welcome! I'm a Xero Shoes convert as well. Very few minimal shoes will work after the freedom of Xeros. Next to barefoot, it is the closest you can come. I do use the Vivobarefoot for work (Gobi II and Ra II) but that's because they won't let me where sandals :(

Hi all! Einars Mednis here.
Im 50 and started to run this year after 30 year break. This year my total km are 900 and more then half from it barefoot. Im living in Latvia. We has big sandy beach here and alot barefoot runners, but not many runs outside of beach. I prefer asphalt or concrete, but beach also fine. Every year we has here Baltic Barefoot ultramarathon. Im not strong enough for ultra and ran 11km at event.
Im particpating also at 6th annual winter challenge at thebarefootrunners.org
Best wishes.

Hello everyone,
I already presented in Chapter french and it is time to introduce me to the world.
So I'm a french (you divined), I started my transition with aquashoes in December 2014 and I am barefoot since last October.
I went through the aquashoes to adjust my stride from heel to the medio-foot, because in my work I have to be barefoot in the mud and the feeling is fantastic !! It is this feeling that made me come to the barefoot and not physical injury because my stride "classic" did not really posed problems.
Today my best is to run one hour (8.7 miles) or 6.21 miles in 40 minutes. I run three times a week on average.
Thank you to the BRS for all that these members brings me to optimize my stride.
See you soon.

Sorry if my english is not perfect !!

Welcome, Einars and GT! You both have great stories. I've been to France (used to live in Stuttgart, Germany) and I've been to Finland and Estonia, which is as close as I ever made it to Latvia. Glad to have you both with us. This is a wide open community that is filled with people willing to share from their experience. Enjoy!

Reactions: GT179
Welcome, you guys! :barefoot:

Reactions: GT179