Weight lifting...?

Since Chaser gave us the OK

Since Chaser gave us the OK to monopolize his thread, where do you crossfit at Talon? Do the AF boys actually workout in Illinois? I know they have a pretty good following at Luke down here and I would assume its growing. Are you following mainsite/brandx or doing your own thing?

And who else here crossfits?

Abide wrote:Since Chaser

Abide said:
Since Chaser gave us the OK to monopolize his thread, where do you crossfit at Talon? Do the AF boys actually workout in Illinois? I know they have a pretty good following at Luke down here and I would assume its growing. Are you following mainsite/brandx or doing your own thing?

And who else here crossfits?

Excellent question and I have a long yet mediocre answer for you. I'm baffled by the AF base here in IL. It's unlike any other place I've ever been sentenced to. They have MMA classes on base, skydiving, an aero club and a bar but don't allow CF because it's dangerous...WTF? I also can't run barefoot on base here, but that's the same as my home base in Texas. Most of the workouts I've seen them do here are inside the gym (due to weather) and very low threat. As in, I don't usually break a sweat and I usually leave mandatory PT pissed off and spitting hate and discontent at the world for wasting an hour of my life.

Anyway, there are no gyms in the immediate area around the base either; the closest I could find is in St. Louis and that's too damned far away for me. I'm totally surprised by this fact since among most of the Spec Ops community (and in increasing number of mainstream military), CF has pretty much been the mainstay workout for about 10 years. Of course, this place is about as far removed from Spec Ops as you could get, so maybe that explains it. Predators vs. herbivores attitudes I suppose. I looked up affiliates on the CF website and there was supposed to be one in a little town near here called Freeburg, but have called several times and even driven by the supposed address but couldn't find it and nobody answers the phone.

So, I have been doing the WODs (not always the ones prescribed) on my own which is not ideal by any means, and usually two days per week I work out with a guy who does drive to one of the St. Louis gyms. He's a CF instructor there and a trainer for Gold's Gym. He's not allowed to call it a CF workout due to the Gold's Gym name on the front of the store, but the workouts are wickedly similar to something you would find at a CF gym. We don't have access to rings or ropes, but we just sub alternate exercises for that stuff. He's trying to break my will to exist by the way.

When I get back to the Great Republic of Tejas in early April I'll start going to one of the gyms there. You can't toss a dead hooker out of the back of your truck in San Antonio anymore without hitting a CF gym so there are plenty to choose from. There is a gym very close to my house, but I have checked them out before and I don't care for it. Too much prayer (not kidding) there for me and they look at me crazy eyed if I cuss after an exercise. I've got a couple of good friends who have been working out at one of the gyms off base that I may join because it's closer to my house or there is actually a CF gym on Lackland AFB I can use. My last commander at Lackland actually had us do high intensity workout days and then alternated with endurance run days during PT. That was cool, but the new commander is what we call ROAD (Retired on Active Duty a.k.a useless) and has let the PT program fall apart.

Have you combined a

Have you combined a structured lifting workout before your metcons? If not I would highly recommend it.

Yeah It's a pain to do crossfit at a gym, the good thing is it sometimes forces you to keep the variability of excercises down so it's easier to see progress.

I just poured some concrete for the rope climp, pull up and ring structure I'm building outside. I also conned my wife into letting me get a bunch of cool stuff so I don't need to go to the gym anymore. I think I accidentally bought 450lbs of bumpers haha. If you are looking for equipment I would highly recommend these guys out of your home state www.getrxd.com.

I do have to agree with your commander CF + a bunch of testosterone filled 18yr olds is kind of dangerous, for us old guys that will try to show off at least.

Abide,Dude, you're my hero.

Abide,

Dude, you're my hero. I do have a concrete pad next to my garage where I used to park the most beautiful 1978 Ford pickup in the world. However, I ended up selling it last year so now I just have a big open concrete pad. My wheels are turning now thanks to you. It's probably a good 20'x30' smooth level concrete pad.

Thanks for the website. I've never even looked into purchasing my own stuff. But, I may start doing more tours up here to IL. If so, it may be worth it to get my own stuff and set up a home gym.

Oh, and yes the days I'm not doing CF I'm either doing strength training or an endurance day.

The results I'm seeing have been excellent...for me.

I don't lift much, but my

I don't lift much, but my lifts/reps are

Bench: 255/15

Squat: 420/5

Deadlift: 600/3

But I'm more into calithestics:

Pushups: 35

Situps: 25

Chinups: 15

I usually do 2 calis and 1 lift, rotating through a month.

My fiancee is hardcore compared to me though.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts