Weekly Mileage 5th week of 2012

Been sticking to a mile a

Been sticking to a mile a day. Got up at 5 the last two days, 4 the next two. Morning running sucks. And drivers are crazy since they don't think anyone is out.

2.9 Barefoot at Lunch Ran

2.9 Barefoot at Lunch

Ran at a pace slightly too high to converse. I tried to get a running partner on a subject that he would ramble on about, in an effort to slow the pace, but no luck. 305 says about a 9.2 M/M.

Also, I've been wearing Patagonia Lolou's at work for nearly a year. These are fairly minimal as far as dress shoes go. This morning, I decided to take out the insole. I'm really liking them now. The soles are only about 3/16" soft rubber with a little bit of leather stiffener from the midsole to the heel area. Now they are 90% flexible in the toe box, have nearly zero rise, and feel a lot like wearing slippers or VFFs at work.

Hobbled to the doc's to have

Hobbled to the doc's to have the stiches removed from my right foot (thanks again shoes!). The doc, nice guy, really, chose to be lazy and not get the scissors from the next room but instead jerk at each stitch three of four times each with the scappel until it finally released. The skin was so tender and weak. It HURT SO BAD! I was literally screaming for him to STOP! Then he finished the last one, 7 of 8, instead of stopping before getting up to go get the scissors to cut the last one, which came out with so much ease and no FREAKIN' pain. What's wrong with these f-ing people?! Where is the compassion for others?! What happened to their cardinal rule, "First, do no harm."?!

I don't usually take time to

I don't usually take time to keep track, but I'm entirely chuffed (Brit speak for happy/excited) with how the year's going.

January total, 82.5 miles up from 32 last year.

I have been able to get in a decent proportion of BF runs this year so far, too, and that's up from zero last year. My feet are probably as toned as they've ever been.

Also, thanks to Chris McD's recommended 100 ups, which I started to do on a daily basis at the start of the year, I'm getting noticable development in the area of my hip flexors. I'm not sure yet how that will translate into performance changes, but we will see.

So for the OP's topic, ran Monday at Valley Forge Park, a quick 4.5 miles, half on a paved path and half on a woods trail, with VFF's. Yesterday, in honor of the magnificence of the day, I put aside my every other day run habit and took to the Park again for a 6.5 mile, mostly paved loop, BF. Hoorah!

Thanks, Karen.  I'm still

Thanks, Karen. I'm still angry about it, and it's 10 hours later. Maybe it's just a culmination of the many experiences I have gone through to heal my feet from the damaging effects from shoes, and I just have to let it out. Get angry. Scream and shout. Maybe my being angry is just relief that this part of my journey, the invasive part, is now over (hopefully), and now I can start the last part of this journey, healing. Sorry about this. I appreciate your support.

The usual 1.6 walk / 0.4 run

The usual 1.6 walk / 0.4 run at lunch yesterday.

I'm wondering if the crown in the road could be causing some of the left calf muscle issues I've been having. About 3/4 of the 1 mile loop I take is on the road (no sidewalks), and of course I always walk on the left side, facing oncoming traffic. As such the surface under my left foot is usually slightly lower than under my right foot.

Wednesday: Nada!Thursday:

Wednesday: Nada!

Thursday: Ran 5.84 miles and did a 75 minute spin in my shed using the Maffetone method.

3.03 miles today!  Woohoo! 

3.03 miles today! Woohoo! So glad to be running again. Wish I would have remembered my visor though, not used to the sun and the reflections it caused on my glasses made a lot of blind spots where I was running. Ouch...

3.1 Barefoot at

3.1 Barefoot at Lunch

Today's park trail has rough asphalt, which is normally OK, but the sprinklers were also on which tenderized me feet a little. I think my feet have gotten a little soft since last summer, as I seem to remember running on tougher surfaces more often.

Just got back from a 7.94

Just got back from a 7.94 mile run.

Did a 3 miler yesterday

Did a 3 miler yesterday afternoon and another today. I think I pushed it a little too much this week. I am going to back off some next week.

Good news, Nick! Walking a

Good news, Nick!

Walking a little more around the house and able to stay on my feet a little longer. My right foot (the last foot to have surgery) seems to be progressing much quicker than the left foot. Strange. However, starting to have some weird pinching pain in my right foot on the ball of my foot below the big toe. Argh! When will it stop?!

3.12 miles this morning and

3.12 miles this morning and man did I feel strong and good. It's amazing how much faster I can go when not pushing the stroller but still staying under my maf max. I took off 2 min per mile without the stroller. Woohoo! Total of 10.91 miles for the week, all barefoot.

I enjoy running with my kids,

I enjoy running with my kids, but I hear ya on the increased speed without having to push a stroller! It makes those runs sans kids feel like a breeze! :)