Weekly Mileage 41st week of 2012

Thanks again Dama! Everything is on its way, meanwhile, I'll try icing tonight.

Csedastic:...... Plus, on top of all this, slightly more intense runs take less time, and time is really hard to come by these days, and I'm very willing to put off some of my training goals in order to speed (opps, Freudian slip) spend more time with my kids while they're little and enjoy my company so much. My son got sent home from day care with the mildest of fevers, and it felt so heavenly to have him nap on top of me. I could have laid him down so that I could go do my back workout, but I know these small-kid days will pass quickly, and my body will manage just fine with an extra day of rest.

Awwwwww that is so sweet. No replacing those parent child moments for anything.....

Reactions: Bare Lee
1.5 bf with my kids at sunset. after weeks of complaining and whining about running with mom, I instituted the 50 cent prize to the happiest, most enthusiastic runner for every run we do. No, I'm not above bribery. And at least this time, it worked. In fact, my daughter said she enjoyed her run so much, she went out for another jaunt by herself just now.
She also set a mean pace for a kid. Usually arms are hanging down and everyone is just "too tired." Let's hope they don't start uppign the ante on the payments.

Oh, and bf felt sooooo good after so many miles in the huaraches. The 1.5 mile loop is about the only area around here that is bf friendly for me, and it was a great temp---mid 50s.

Scedastic: keep in mind my speed is other people's slow. I'm not really trying to be that fast. The goal is to get down to around 8mm for an hour's run. I'm pretty sure I can get there in a month or two once I can return to my present weekly routine: one or two LSD runs, one tempo, and one intervals and hills. It already feels a lot better to be around 9mm or less for my longer tempo runs. I like longer runs a lot too, and would like to get in at least one 8-10 miler a week, but I will enjoy them more when I'm able to run a bit faster and feel a slightly greater range of motion in my limbs. And I'm 6'1" so what I feel in terms of range of motion is probably a minute per mile faster than for most women or shorter men. There's some science to justify all this, as you may have heard me blab about, but mostly I'm doing it because I enjoy it. I really like the meditative quality of a nice, steady long(ish) run, but I also enjoy the mild challenge of exerting myself a bit and feeling a bit wiped out afterwards, just once a week or so. .......

Man, it's terrible not to be running in this gorgeous fall weather though, I have to say.

Totally! My lightening speed is another person's hardly moving. It is all relative.
I like the speed work, too, and can't wait to get back to it.

I just think it's interesting how different running/trainign methods work so differently on different people (and at different times). For right now, I'm fascinated that any kind of speed kills my shins, but there I go, lollygagging along at a snails pace, and then it goes forever no problem. I wonder what woudl be happening, though, if I had started my summer doing speedwork and shorter distances each week.
You, on the other hand, feel like your body rejects certain low speeds and that's where you get hurt, but pushing it feels easy on your body.

Lots of variability in running/training/individuals. Either way, with everything we do, and any time we get off our tuffs, we are building strength.

For me, I think I would have been ok w/ once/week speed, but the garmin taught me I was trying to up the pace about a mile/min on all my runs at once, so my 9:30 short/medium runs were coming in all of a sudden at 8-8:30; the very hilly half marathon I did averaging 9:30, but did 8mins on the last few miles (slower start and too much enthusiasm at the end). Previous long runs were in the 10:30-11 range.

My problem is that when I decide I like something, I really really like it and do it till, well, my body says NO.

I'm more trying what dama said earlier----do what your body is telling you is good, if it's fast, go fast, if it says slow, then slow.

And for you, I hope that happens soon soon soon. We have more autumn left.
Get that knee untweaked.

Over 12 miles total for the day, first run below zero, second when wind died down so just above zero. Very happy with my mileage this week.

I know it wasn't "running" barefoot, but I made my first trip in Walmart barefoot today! My feet were tired of even the flip flops and needed to be free for a while. I think only one small child noticed. It was a quick trip in and out.

Thom, that's amazing fast progress. Funny, I took my first bf running steps on Sept 1 or 2nd (it was labor day weekend) of last year.

Took me till november to get comfortable with 3-5 miles, where i didn't get stiff or sore from them, but I did also START from day one with 1-5 mile bf runs (it was so much fun and i'm not bright that way.....), then just waited for the soreness to go away. My feet were way too tender last year for much bf in the cold. Hope yours do better so that you can keep up the transition without breaks.
Well, I'd say you built up your mileage really fast for just over a year of bfr; 55 miles! That's impressive. I can't imagine ever doing that. Right now the goal is two, one-hour faster-paced runs per week and one or two longer ones, about 90-120 minutes each. Did you noticed I dropped the term 'speedwork.' I think it's false advertising. From now on I'll just say 'faster-paced.' Basically I'm working on three paces--fast, medium, slow--corresponding roughly to 7-7:30mm on my intervals, 8:30-9mm on my tempo run, and 9-9:30 on my LSD. If I can drop a minute per mile on each of those paces over the coming year, while building up distance a bit on the LSD, I'll be very happy. My mileage goal is just to average about 25 miles per week, but it's inspiring to hear about you, Bob, Chris, and others going way beyond that.

And then Robin shows up. Where have you been?
Oh Lee sorry man,didn't mean to disappear on you:D
I've been here the whole time checking what's going on here...If you ever miss me again just yell or leave a wise crack for me and i'll answer;)I've been running a lot,from late august up until last week i've been averageing 100miles a week.Then this weekend I couldn't sleep(been sleeping very poorly the last couple weeks)so I ran nights too.Friday night I cut my foot(not that bad though:))Sunday I ran a 15K near where I live (in minimal because of the cut)weather was great 10,000participants there!but I was a bit burt-out did 1.14h for 15K,whereas 2weeks ago I did a half marathon 1.27.So this week i'm resting (hense the chatting:))
My grandmotheer died on monday,that left me all emotional...she was really old and sick for a long time.It should be a relief because of her medical state but still it affects me more than expected.You see we've(the family) been waiting for her to die for years and now that it's there...What's up with you?

Reactions: scedastic
Oh Lee sorry man,didn't mean to disappear on you:D
I've been here the whole time checking what's going on here...If you ever miss me again just yell or leave a wise crack for me and i'll answer;)I've been running a lot,from late august up until last week i've been averageing 100miles a week.Then this weekend I couldn't sleep(been sleeping very poorly the last couple weeks)so I ran nights too.Friday night I cut my foot(not that bad though:))Sunday I ran a 15K near where I live (in minimal because of the cut)weather was great 10,000participants there!but I was a bit burt-out did 1.14h for 15K,whereas 2weeks ago I did a half marathon 1.27.So this week i'm resting (hense the chatting:))
My grandmotheer died on monday,that left me all emotional...she was really old and sick for a long time.It should be a relief because of her medical state but still it affects me more than expected.You see we've(the family) been waiting for her to die for years and now that it's there...What's up with you?
Not much, the running had been going well until a week ago, when I tweaked my left knee somehow (detailed in last week's Mileage Reporting).

Man, that's impressive mileage! I think that's what Ryan Hall does in a week. Strange to hear you get insomnia with that kind of running. I think I would sleep like a baby. Speaking of which, I think I'd better go back to bed for a couple of hours, I don't think I'm going to get anything done today otherwise. Sorry to hear of your grandma, but it sounds like it was the best for everyone. I've been dealing with my folks' steady decline too, but right now both are doing pretty well. My dad got Lymes disease this summer, and had a near-fatal aneurysm last summer, but he's back to doing his walks and even reviving his enthusiasm for American football (as a spectator). It's interesting dealing with little kids and aging parents at the same time--all the cliches come true. Later . . .

Not much, the running had been going well until a week ago, when I tweaked my left knee somehow (detailed in last week's Mileage Reporting).

Man, that's impressive mileage! I think that's what Ryan Hall does in a week. Strange to hear you get insomnia with that kind of running. I think I would sleep like a baby. Speaking of which, I think I'd better go back to bed for a couple of hours, I don't think I'm going to get anything done today otherwise. Sorry to hear of your grandma, but it sounds like it was the best for everyone. I've been dealing with my folks' steady decline too, but right now both are doing pretty well. My dad got Lymes disease this summer, and had a near-fatal aneurysm last summer, but he's back to doing his walks and even reviving his enthusiasm for American football (as a spectator). It's interesting dealing with little kids and aging parents at the same time--all the cliches come true. Later . . .
Yes I know what you mean,I've been noticing the changes in me making me more and more like my parents when before I said that that was the last thing I wanted to turn into;)I hope you get to spend a lot more quality time with your parents and children!

Thanks again Dama! Everything is on its way, meanwhile, I'll try icing tonight.
If you have any guesses as to what has caused this, or how to prevent it from happening in the future, I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts. Other than warming up better, I can't think of what else I could've done. The doc was sort of nonchalant about it, suggesting that runners get injured from time to time and there's nothing you can do about it, but I really do not want to be that kind of runner, always talking about my injuries. The top of the foot pain I don't really count as an injury because it was simply due to lack of massaging and stretching properly. I'm hoping better preparation will also keep this knee thing from recurring too. It could just be age, I guess, but since my bones and cartilage look like a young man's, I'm not entertaining that possibility just yet.

Lee, I asked my friend what caused his injury and he does have no clue he says it came out of nowhere.
He's not a big miles runner he runs about a mile every other day and has for several years now so definitely is not over use.
His Ortho told him that the bursa is inflamed and there is some fluid build up and that's causing the pain.
I don't think is age(I probably am older than you and I have no problems. ) maybe some kind of arthitis?
Have you tried Epson salt baths? your body can definitely use the magnesium.
Continue with the icing and I am telling you soon all this is going to be history.
I have gotten so good myself on identifing every single twitch I get when running as in-ok this twitch is not normal stop running now. Hopefully you're learning from them too.
And yes, enjoy your kids now because they do really grow fast and you don't want to have regrets.

Reactions: NickW
3.5 miles in huaraches, 35 degrees to start, 33 to end (this was at 5:15am)......feet were cold, especially after splashing in crunchy slightly icy puddles here and there in the dark, but they did okay, to the point that I had to talk myself out of more miles. They were awfully tingly though and the toes weren't feeling much, but after a few minutes in a warm home, ok. Hopefully the adaptation continues......

I know it wasn't "running" barefoot, but I made my first trip in Walmart barefoot today! My feet were tired of even the flip flops and needed to be free for a while. I think only one small child noticed. It was a quick trip in and out.

Doesn't it feel wonderfully subversive? I can only work up the nerve to go into stores bf once in a while, but when I do.

btw, if you ever want to get away with it easily, carry a pair of high heels with you. Everyone will think it's from the heels and store people won't even say anything (happened to me on a long trip to the grocery on a busy night---lots of stares, then they'd see the heels, and no one said a word).

Reactions: happysongbird

If you really want to get away with it, I mean going EVERYWHERE bf wear true barefoot sandal like the ones I have on the avatar.
After I removed the post surgery shoe I couln't wear anything on my foot because of the swelling so I wore my BF sandals and I went everywhere I would in shoes.
Restaurants, malls, grocery stores, you name it.

Doesn't it feel wonderfully subversive? I can only work up the nerve to go into stores bf once in a while, but when I do.

btw, if you ever want to get away with it easily, carry a pair of high heels with you. Everyone will think it's from the heels and store people won't even say anything (happened to me on a long trip to the grocery on a busy night---lots of stares, then they'd see the heels, and no one said a word).
Hey, I'd like to give that a try. Unfortunately none of my wife's shoes will work, so I'll have to get my own pair, maybe at a thrift store.
But seriously, I don't really like the subversive aspect of it. It will be nice when sometime in the future it becomes normal (again). Besides the weather, that's one of the things I miss most about the tropics, the fact that I can go just about anywhere barefoot and no-one will complain.

Lee, I asked my friend what caused his injury and he does have no clue he says it came out of nowhere.
He's not a big miles runner he runs about a mile every other day and has for several years now so definitely is not over use.
His Ortho told him that the bursa is inflamed and there is some fluid build up and that's causing the pain.
I don't think is age(I probably am older than you and I have no problems. ) maybe some kind of arthitis?
Have you tried Epson salt baths? your body can definitely use the magnesium.
Continue with the icing and I am telling you soon all this is going to be history.
I have gotten so good myself on identifying every single twitch I get when running as in-ok this twitch is not normal stop running now. Hopefully you're learning from them too.
And yes, enjoy your kids now because they do really grow fast and you don't want to have regrets.
Thanks again Dama, for the quoted info! The doc did mention the bursa I think. I know he did feel a little fluid build-up. It continues to get a little bit better every day, and I'm icing it now, and a cream similar to the one you recommended was available on Amazon Prime, called Penetrex, and will arrive today, so I'll use that until the tropicin (pecado poético?) arrives sometimes next week. I'm thinking I may curtail the walks until the knee's completely pain-free. I'm off my running rhythm now, sinking back into sedentariality (linguistics have a license to make up new affixal derivations). And I've finally found a use for the Pro-Tec ITB strap I bought when I mistakenly thought I had ITBS--it keeps the cold compress in place. I don't have any arthritis in the family, and the doc said he didn't see any, so I'm discounting that possibility for the time being. I'm thinking more and more that I just wasn't warmed up properly and landed with the ligaments or something a little misaligned. Feels like the kind of thing that would happen in a sport like football or soccer while making a cut, except I was running straight ahead. Anyway, it's kind of fun pushing the weights a bit during this running hiatus, but I'm a bit worried that I'm no longer chomping at the bit to get back out there. I'm also not enjoying the idea of building up again for the second time in two months once I can run again. I had finally reached one of my short term goals--running to, around, and back from Como Lake at a decent pace. I don't want to wait too much longer before I can do that again.
P.S., haven't ever tried a salt bath, but did have nice romp in the Jacuzzi last night with the fam, with a belly full of beef and red wine. Is that therapeutic?

Hey, I'd like to give that a try. Unfortunately none of my wife's shoes will work, so I'll have to get my own pair, maybe at a thrift store.
But seriously, I don't really like the subversive aspect of it. It will be nice when sometime in the future it becomes normal (again). Besides the weather, that's one of the things I miss most about the tropics, the fact that I can go just about anywhere barefoot and no-one will complain.

Good point, Lee; it is silly that one should garner so much attention just being bf in a store.
Whenever we are near beach towns/resort towns in the summer, that's when I stay bf in all the stores with no worries. You are right, even in the midwest, in a resort town, people tend not to be upset about being bf when it's all about vacation.

But seriously,.

But seriously, I think it might work even better if you did it, esp since you're a big guy, the professorly type, I assume. They would be so busy guessing no one would get in your way.

Reactions: Bare Lee
Good point, Lee; it is silly that one should garner so much attention just being bf in a store.
Whenever we are near beach towns/resort towns in the summer, that's when I stay bf in all the stores with no worries. You are right, even in the midwest, in a resort town, people tend not to be upset about being bf when it's all about vacation.
Yah, I've been a casual barefooter for a long time, but I usually just don the sandals when I need to go into a store. And now that I'm married I try to save my wife the embarrassment, especially since she's very appearance-conscious. I admire you folks who do stand up for our rights though. You're fighting the good fight. I do barefoot in stores when I'm alone, sometimes, and most big box type stores like Target never seem to mind, although of course you get the looks. I'm a very clean-cut looking guy though, so I probably avoid some confrontation that way. The only real hassle is the neighborhood mom-and-pop store, which seems to have put up a NoSSS sign in my honor after I asked the officious clerk why he was asking me to wear shoes. It's a hassle because sometimes at the end of a run it would be handy to go in there and pick up a few items once in a while, but I don't really want to carry sandals the whole time. I also noticed last winter it was kind of the mirror image of a resort-type mentality, where if you're badassed enough to be out in bare feet no one is going to bother you.

Reactions: Robin