Weekly mileage 40th week of 2012

Rumbling here but you get the point-I hope.

Yes, it's good to hear that from you. I'm realizing perhaps this injury is my final lesson in the just run approach, and you've articulated it perfectly. I still had too much of my head in it. It seems clear to me now. Thanks for emphasizing it with your confirmation and elaboration. It helps reinforce the lesson. Let me see if I can be a good student and try to apply it in practice:

One does not train for a race. One runs, and when one can run a certain distance at a certain pace that might be fun to race, then one seeks out that race. So, for example, I would never train for a marathon, I would wait until I could run a marathon distance, or at least very close to a marathon distance, comfortably and then I would find one to enter. If I never find myself wanting to keep building up distances, then I don't think about racing longer races. I don't build up longer distances simply because I want to run longer races.

'Just run' really is the only rule you need to know, but it's a very difficult concept to grasp in its full implication of implementation. So difficult in fact, that most will seek out some subset of the rules-based amendments as at least a bridge to true just run mastery, a zen art.

Reactions: NickW
One does not train for a race. One runs, and when one can run a certain distance at a certain pace that might be fun to race, then one seeks out that race. So, for example, I would never train for a marathon, I would wait until I could run a marathon distance, or at least very close to a marathon distance, comfortably and then I would find one to enter. If I never find myself wanting to keep building up distances, then I don't think about racing longer races. I don't build up longer distances because I want to run longer races.

quote]

This part makes me very happy and I think you're on the right track now in your thinking.

Reactions: Bare Lee and NickW
on the right track in your thinking
Yes, I kind of had that idea about distance for some time, but it's just now occurred to me about pace too, thanks to you and this mishap. I've had it in my head that you should always have at least one long and slow run in your weekly routine, but really I should run it only when I feel it, and run faster paces when I feel those, even if it means running fewer miles over all. I've pretty much mapped out all the good routes around here, at varying distances, and the first mile usually starts up the same street, my street, so I can get a feel for the run by then and decide which offshoot to take after that point. Groovy. Even the routes I drive to, located in areas of recurrent errand-running, usually have two or three lengths versions available.

Yes, I kind of had that idea about distance for some time, but it's just now occurred to me about pace too, thanks to you and this mishap. I've had it in my head that you should always have at least one long and slow run in your weekly routine, but I should run it only when I feel it, and run faster paces when I feel those, even if it means running fewer miles over all. I've pretty much mapped out the good routes around here, at varying distances, and the first mile usually starts up the same street, so I can get a feel for the run by then and decide which offshoot to take after that point. Groovy. Even the routes I drive to, located in areas of recurrent errand-running, usually have two or three length versions available.

Sounds like a good plan there.
The reason as to why I am running by time and on unmarked routes is because I don't want to overdue it.

Reactions: happysongbird
Havent been on here much this week, but Wednesday I did my longest run to date (by a couple tenths) of 14 miles! All bare, and I had the beginning stages of a blister afterward (was several miles of chipseal). Its red and looks like a little bit of blood under the surface but no bulging blister. Today would have been my next day to run but giving my feet one extra day off. It was a long day at work anyhow and storming when I got home. Got to test out the new Nathan hydration vest and some other gear.

Thanks Dama! I tried to find a converter online but I kept finding all sorts of other info instead.

Actually if you use google it will do math and unit conversion for you. For example http://www.google.com/#hl=en&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=28 celsius to fahrenheit&oq=

"to" or "into" is the trigger for google to convert between units.
For example you could simply type into the search: 50 gallons into liters
And google will give you the answer without having to click on any link or anything to go to any converter or website.
You can also do all sorts of math. Or a math equation with unit conversion too. For example If you know the metric dimensions of an aquarium you can calculate how many US gallons it holds... http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sclien...20*250+cubic+centimeters+into+US+gallons&fp=1

Even fathoms into cubits
Its really neat!

Why does the doc want you to come in for a gait analysis? Is he trying to learn about bf runners and educate himself?
I didn't take this suggestion seriously when I first read it, but now, playing back the visit and what the doc said in my head, I think you may be right. He was asking me about running barefoot before I had realized he was a runner too, so that conversation didn't really get going as much as it might have, but he did seem somewhat intrigued, come to think of it.

Reactions: NickW
4.5 miles today: 1 mile warmup walk, then onto DG trail at a nearby nature park for approx 3.2 miles, then balance a cooldown walk.

This was my first trail run since my last trail run, by which I mean, the last trail run had me blistered and battered. This was on Sept. 13. But it was such a cool, wonderful morning that I just had to go back to the trail again and give it a whirl. I was extra careful not to scrape my feet but to lift them, I tried (but failed) to keep a MAF pace, then gave up, just ran slowly and comfortably. After the first mile I checked my soles for signs of damage, and it looked as if a hot spot was forming under the ball of my left foot. So, I bent my knees a bit more and went on. No further discomfort. Felt absolutely great. Could have done at least another mile, probably more, but I purposely stopped myself.

Oh, and one more thing: my spouse, who has repeatedly claimed that she IS NOT A RUNNER and DOESN'T LIKE TO RUN went with me, bringing along her new pair of Mocha Brown Invisible Shoes, and she also ran for a bit (though not with me). She has been doing a bit of bf running herself since she and I went to Ken Bob's workshop a few weeks ago, and, despite herself, I think she's actually enjoying it! :) Please don't tell her I ratted her out if she ever joins this board.

16 mi, about 40-45 degrees, sprinkling off and on, chill wind, on gravel trail a few miles away from home, in my huaraches.
only got cold the last few miles back, as i was into the wind and it was raining a bit more. there is so much cold adaptation going on with me it would be hilarious to visit how i would have dressed for a run in this weather, say, 2 yrs ago (though i probably would've stayed home instead and just whined about the icky weather).

notes from the rural trail:

at the start of today's run i saw some middle aged+ bikers in all kinds of tundra gear like it was feb. we're talking wind breakers with hoods, thick gloves, the whole nine yards. they looked miserable and shivery even with the gear.
there i am, already took off my 2nd long sleeve and hung it in a tree after a mile, so i'm wearing a thin run top, knee length tights, a headband i'm about to take off, and sandals. back to the wind, and i'm exercising, so i'm warm,.
this slow group of about 4 bikers passes me. one fella says 'your doing great!' (i'm only about 2 miles in and they BARELY pass me, and you know how slow i am) i felt like saying 'yeah, thanks, now you on the other hand, you're needing to work a little harder'
the last guy passes me and as he does he declares to me "you need some mittens!"
which is weird, because i was wearing GLOVES at the time.
and also weird, because there were no socks on my feet, since i was in my sandals. shouldn't that have bothered him more?
finally, i passed them about 2 miles further down while they were taking another break. the guy who told me i needed mittens was facing me as i passed. his mouth hung open a bit and he looked at me, puzzled, I think (by then i took off the gloves b/c i was too warm). i wanted to say "don't let me beat you to the next town (about 5 miles away)" but I didn't. Just grinned at him.

this wasn't quite as good as the last long run i took on the trail. the last half mile goes through a small town, and some old ladies were walking along the opposite direction. one lady pauses their conversation to look over at me (in my hot pink leg sleeves, short shorts, sandals and a long sleeve---this is a week or so ago on a sunny 45- 50 degree evenign) and says loudly "what the HE11?!"
that was cool.
so yes, i blow the minds of the little people of the hicksville towns with hardly any effort.
what an attention whore. hah!
;)

Of course, the mishap might be completely random happenstance, not even god's will, and I'm just caught feebly trying to impose sense and meaning where there is none.

Did I mention that the first chill of the season always provokes a little existential dread?

Autumn is bitter sweet, no? Pretty, too pretty, almost, and then there is what comes afterwards.....

on the knee mishap: who knows how to make sense of these things. glad you at least got a cool doc. hope the knee goes as quickly as it came.

Reactions: Bare Lee
2.44 barefoot miles with quite of few of the OR chapter and some bfr's that are not part of the chapter. We even saw another bfr in the "wild". Lol! We talked to him for a minute as he was halfway through his run and we had yet to start. I think there were 9 of us total. Was a beautiful run along the riverfront in Portland and I was amazed at how many people were shocked and amazed to see all us bfr's. We split into two groups, the fast group who I think were running a longer distance than us slow pokes. I was having fun today so I started out slow and then would pick up the pace for a while and then slow down and speed up again, fartlek style. There was one section that I really did not like as it was a steel grating that you could see down the 20-30 ft to the ground. Not only was it unnerving but my toes kept trying to get caught and I was afraid I was gonna rip off a toe, or at minimum break a toe.

I did 13.1 this morning, in the Altras. The first 6 were a hillclimb, and subsequently not a ton of fun. After coming back down the main BIG hill, it tapers to a rolling route with many small ups and downs. I ran a negative split for the run: 61 minutes for the first 6, followed by 68 minutes for the 7.1 to finish in 2:09 total. This was a pretty strong outing in prep for my upcoming half the first weekend of November, and my first time running the half-marathon distance.

I did have to time-starved shorter outings this week, but they really didn't rate an entry. total weekly mileage will be 20 and change for the week after tomorrow's little recovery jaunt.

It is not as bad as it sounds, after about 5 minutes it feels not to bad. Now Barefooting Bob takes it to a level where I even fear to go. Last year he went into the -20C's in only a kilt. :D

I was also wearing a touque a pair of gloves and ankle bands, see.......

Frozen Nipple Run.jpg

But I guess I should catch up on my mileage for this week

I slacked off on Wednesday and Thursday - No running
Friday - 4 miles in -3 degree temps
Saturday 9 miles in 1 degree temps pacing my wife at the end of her 12 hour timed ultra.

I was also wearing a touque a pair of gloves and ankle bands, see.......

View attachment 931

But I guess I should catch up on my mileage for this week

I slacked off on Wednesday and Thursday - No running
Friday - 4 miles in -3 degree temps
Saturday 9 miles in 1 degree temps pacing my wife at the end of her 12 hour timed ultra.
I would say "cool beans" to that photo, but that would be redundant. Was there shrinkage?

Reactions: Bare Lee
No shrinkage, total disappearance. :eek:

Well, my knee felt a lot better yesterday (two days ago I could barely walk), and my daughter and her friend were begging to go to the park nearby, so I limped a little more than half a mile to and fro with them, with our toddler son in tow in the stroller. It was about 40 degrees F, and very blustery, but my feet enjoyed the cool sand of the playground while following my son around in all his unbounded joy. The neighbor girl took off her sweater and ran around in her t-shirt most of the time. My son eventually shed his mittens, much to the consternation of my wife when we got home.

Anyway, at this rate of progress, hopefully I'll be running again sometime this (41st) week. I still have no idea what could've happened, but thankfully it's healing quickly and doesn't appear to be anything serious . . . I guess I just have to be a bit more vigilante about warming up properly.