Weekly mileage 37th week of 2012

6.1 miles on a nice trail in a nature preserve just east of St. Paul. A little gravel here and there to keep me honest, but mostly dirt and pebbles. I didn't like the narrower, foot-wide sections of the dirt tracks though--they made my feet step inwards too much. My feet were to close to running along a single line rather than forming parallel lines. After 3 miles I felt a little strain in my left knee. So I stopped to stretch and massage. This helped a lot. Had to do this twice more as the tightness returned, then it went completely away when I was able to open it up on the last, easy section at a sub 9mm pace. I always feel better at faster paces, but they're hard to sustain on trails. Ran a slow but pleasant 10:30 mm pace overall.

P.S., I saw a big-toe-sized snapper turtle and almost stepped on it. Not as glamorous as a coyote but it's the best I can do.

If you ever move a turtle out of the road (I DO), pick them up so that they can't bite you and the pee shoots out away from you. Big snappers are no laughing matter. Little snappers turn into big snappers before you know it. Danger.
BTW, I don't like the narrow tracks either. There's a trail I run on around here and it's uncomfortable on the hips to move them in so much---that may have been part of the issue with the knee?

Reactions: Bare Lee
Yeah! great to see you logging some running again.
Thanks! It makes me feel so much happier and better. It's funny how running does this for me while gym and bike do not to the same extent. I think I am giving up on any sort of distance or any faster paces for the time being. That's a tough pill to swallow but I am strictly working on form and getting completely healthy. I would rather run small slow amounts than not at all.

Finished off my week with 33.29 miles.

7.7 miles this morning.

Dutchie: Lately you are just overachieving in the barefoot drink-golfing. Do they have ultras for that? I'm in.[/quote]

The way I play that game, it is a Ultra. I alternate with my neighbor as to who drives that week to get to the golf course. Yesterday he was the designated driver so I could do the carb loading thing (beer drinking). :D I think the carb loading yesterday caught up to me today though, 3 slow miles.

If you ever move a turtle out of the road (I DO), pick them up so that they can't bite you and the pee shoots out away from you. Big snappers are no laughing matter. Little snappers turn into big snappers before you know it. Danger.
BTW, I don't like the narrow tracks either. There's a trail I run on around here and it's uncomfortable on the hips to move them in so much---that may have been part of the issue with the knee?
Thanks for the turtle tip!
And yes, I think that was part of the problem with the knee. Will see how it goes on tomorrow's asphalt/sidewalk run. I took today off to hang out with the fam and do a few chores.

10k today. Took 10 minutes off my last BF 10k. Felt great for the entire run, see scedastic, the carb loading on Friday paid off. ;) I think I am going to credit MAF running for this improvement though. This is for the belly laughter it gives me from reading Mike's progress with his adventures with MAF. The belly laughter has helped my Diaphragmatic Breathing and helps me run better. :D

Dutchie, 10 minutes off of your last 10 k? That's a lot,.....it's like a minute per kilometer, or something like that ;)........................................whew---that's enough time to drink a beer while waiting for your former self to arrive at the finish.

Dutchie, 10 minutes off of your last 10 k? That's a lot,.....it's like a minute per kilometer, or something like that ;)........................................whew---that's enough time to drink a beer while waiting for your former self to arrive at the finish.
Last 10k I ran was my first one barefooted as to skin to ground and I took it kind of easy as to being a little uncertain. This time it was not my intention to run fast but just to finish without any "niggles", but when I saw my time close to the end I could not help but to pick up the pace. :)

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmeiners11