Weekly mileage 37th week of 2012

Bare Lee

Barefooters
Jul 25, 2011
Saint Paul
2.33 miles (+.37 walking) Sunday on my new Intervals & Hills route. I ran .6 miles down to the junior high school track, then I ran four 440 intervals with 100-120 yards walking recovery in between, then ran up two steep hills on the way back home. The mostly dirt but somewhat gravelly track felt good on my bare feet. Today the outside of my feet and my heel are a bit sore though. I wonder if it's from the greater push-off or harsher landing at faster paces. I was surprised to find myself landing almost completely flat-footed on this surface. On asphalt I tend to land a bit more forefoot-first. Didn't feel right on this track for some reason. I trust my body knows best.

My interval paces were 8.16mm, 7:30 & 7:30 and then 7.07 on the last lap. I felt like I could do more, and increase the speed a bit more, but I wanted to take it easy since this is the first 'speedwork' I've done for two months and I wanted to see how my tofp issue would respond. Today I have no tofp whatsoever. I will try to incorporate this route into my routine once a week and up the number of intervals and hill repeats until I reach about 5-6 miles total. A very nice workout and good complement to the long steady runs I love so much. The day I can sustain an 8mm pace on a longer run will be wonderful, but in the meantime I can get a taste of it on these faster intervals. I like combining hills and intervals in the same workout. It's a little boring to do two different non-long runs in a week, or even to an entire hills run, up and down, up and down. Plus this combo attacks the muscles involved in greater power delivery in slightly different ways, and will keep the speedwork/hills stuff in about the same proportion as the pro distance guys I think, around 20-25% speedwork to 75-80% longer runs.

7.7 miles of an intended 8.5-mile run between the Franklin and Ford Parkway bridges along the Mississippi River recreational paths. After about four some miles I stopped on the Ford Parkway bridge for a nice, full stretch using the hand rail. After another three plus miles my left knee started to feel a little strain so I cut it short and walked the last .8 mile, hoping to avoid another occurrence of ITBS. It's too early to tell, but it seems I'm finally becoming smarter about my running. Alls I know for sure is right now my feet are wonderfully tingly and my body feels fantastically relaxed .

4 miles early am. Saw (I think it was) a bat, know there was an orange kitten-cat, and a couple of owls hooting across the road at each other.
Got shin splints, I think (so not trendy for an ailment, and so for the rookies, but whatever, always behind the curve me), and shin-kicked in the splints-school I know (overload of credit hours, teaching hours and research hours), so runs will be little and less frequent----and i was hoping for a fall marathon. Outta the question now without a pre christmas miracle. Blech!!!!

5miles this am, dark and cloudy, needed the headlamp; went slow for the owl hooting but picked it up when i heard coyote calls and thought huh, do coyotes bother slow humans? not enough of a country girl to know.

Reactions: Bare Lee
6.1 miles on a nice trail in a nature preserve just east of St. Paul. A little gravel here and there to keep me honest, but mostly dirt and pebbles. I didn't like the narrower, foot-wide sections of the dirt tracks though--they made my feet step inwards too much. My feet were to close to running along a single line rather than forming parallel lines. After 3 miles I felt a little strain in my left knee. So I stopped to stretch and massage. This helped a lot. Had to do this twice more as the tightness returned, then it went completely away when I was able to open it up on the last, easy section at a sub 9mm pace. I always feel better at faster paces, but they're hard to sustain on trails. Ran a slow but pleasant 10:30 mm pace overall.

P.S., I saw a big-toe-sized snapper turtle and almost stepped on it. Not as glamorous as a coyote but it's the best I can do.

.55 miles barefoot and .55 miles in huaraches. Stiff and sore ankles and I think I may have figured out part of my problem. I noticed it seemed like my left foot is stronger than the right (hence the least amount of problems in that foot). This lack of strength in the right foot seems to allow my heel to slam down to the ground despite landing mid/forefoot. I really worked (and will continue to work on this) on allowing my heel to just barely touch down very slightly and very lightly. My ankles are tender and seem very stiff too so I need to get them strengthened again as well.

.55 miles barefoot and .55 miles in huaraches. Stiff and sore ankles and I think I may have figured out part of my problem. I noticed it seemed like my left foot is stronger than the right (hence the least amount of problems in that foot). This lack of strength in the right foot seems to allow my heel to slam down to the ground despite landing mid/forefoot. I really worked (and will continue to work on this) on allowing my heel to just barely touch down very slightly and very lightly. My ankles are tender and seem very stiff too so I need to get them strengthened again as well.
Good to hear from you Nick! Hope you're on the right track.

No idea of pace as I am still trying to do most runs unplugged.
Yah, I'm slowly weaning myself off my newly numerical nourishment. Tuesday's run was unplugged because I already knew the route distance and had no pace goals. Lately I only use my 205 for new routes and whenever pace might matter to me, like for intervals. Even then I rarely look at it while running. I do the accounting post-run. It does feel best to run in my running shorts and shades and nothing more, like a hip Tarzan. I would also like to use the Garmin for a timed 5k run on a lake path nearby, which is approx. 3mi in circumference, maybe do that once a month to see if my pace comes down over time. Then I'd have at least one PR to post in my sig space.

Reactions: dutchie53
Been a crazy week,

Sunday: 2.75 miles in Calgary trying to keep my legs from seizing up
Monday: 5.5 miles running with the Hash House Harriers
Tuesday: 1.5 miles running with the dog
Wednesday: 0.5 miles of pain on the treadmill before my personal trainer got a hold of me..... way to many burpees and mountain climbers.
Thursday: 10.75 miles through Assiniboine Park and Wellington Cresent, many strange looks, oh how I have missed thee.
Friday (today): 6.63 miler around Transcona at a 8:00 pace, woo hoo I am back, baby. The legs feel great.

1.1 miles, ALL BAREFOOT!!!! Ya buddy! Gonna keep doing this low mileage for a while, maybe only 3 days a week right now. My feet feel great and I am so glad my soles have stayed strong despite having run in shoes for the last 3 months. Looking forward to my next run on Monday! I can't wait for the temps to drop. 66 deg F is too hot for me. Looking forward to the high 30's to low 40's and wet!

16 miles on flattish gravel bike trail, in huaraches.
not sure how it happened. I only intended to do 7-8, 9 miles tops(i still say i have a tiny case of shin splints, but they seem to be getting better).
It was a lovely late morning in the midwest countryside and this way slow runner (averaging 10min/mi) passed a weekend warrior group 3 times in about 6 miles because they kept taking breaks every mile or two. At one point I'm pretty sure they were laughing and pointing at me (I THOUGHT I looked pretty hardcore in my sport top, tight shorts and sandals on a cool morning, but either it was the constant passing or the sandals that got them. Or they were just in shock over my incredible toughness and had no idea how to react ;)
never stopped to talk, but I felt like telling them to pick it up already)

1.1 miles, ALL BAREFOOT!!!! Ya buddy! Gonna keep doing this low mileage for a while, maybe only 3 days a week right now. My feet feel great and I am so glad my soles have stayed strong despite having run in shoes for the last 3 months. Looking forward to my next run on Monday! I can't wait for the temps to drop. 66 deg F is too hot for me. Looking forward to the high 30's to low 40's and wet!

Yeah! great to see you logging some running again.