Weekly mileage 36th week of 2012

13.1 at Michigan Wine Trail Half Marathon, in huaraches
beautiful scenery, small group, good energy, nice trinkets (wine glass!)
almost did this one too!!!
I bet it was great :barefoot:

1.5 mile run home after returning rental car. I got the thumbs up from the police car that passed me. Not sure if it was my barefeet or the Winnipeg Police Service Half Marathon running pack strapped to my back.;)

6.9 fairly easy miles, all niggleless, but walked the last .5 mile of my intended 7.4-mile run when a very slight niggle appeared in its usual spot, just below the ankle on the front of the left foot. A little stick therapy on the front of the leg and it should be as good as new. The State Fair ended on Labor Day so I got to do one of my favorite routes again, straight from my house, through the fairgrounds, to Como Lake, and back along Como Ave. Very nice, just a little hot, feeling good. I ran maybe a 10+mm pace but I forgot to recharge my Garmin so I don't know for sure, and don't really care. I'm just happy to be running decent distances again.

Reactions: scedastic
On a side note Bob, saw a rare species yesterday. Yup, I spotted a barefoot runner in Windsor Park running on the bike path beside the golf course, my first one that wasn't you or me. :) Young woman, good form. Is this another one of your converts?

Nope not one of mine, might have to check into that. You got me curious now.

Heading out for my last short muscle loosening run before tomorrow's 100 miler. Under 12 hours to go.......

Reactions: Bare Lee and NickW
4.5 mi, bf; was going to go 6, but my soles were over it at 4.3, so I turned around and went back to the car. A combo of a few afternoon hot asphalt spots, sidewalks with lots of roughage on them, and my dainty nature.
1.5 huaraches with the kids, this evening. The kids were crazy with complaints about cramps and irritations and the sun being hot and other such ailments. Slow.

Reactions: Bare Lee
almost did this one too!!!
I bet it was great :barefoot:

It was beautiful. I'm from about an hour to the north-east (blueberry country, not grapes, but the same idea, hills and small farms). Pretty country. Rolling hills, but nothing so steep you would get tired.
The weather was nice: overcast and breezy. Only about 100 participants.
I made friends with a vff wearer(the only other minimalist there), got a lot of comments on the huaraches, mostly good or curious.
If you were ok with rough chip seal (old country road rough), barefoot would have been doable. I'll definitely want to do this one next year if they have it again. I've yet to meet a bf runner at a race!

3.2 at dawn, slow and achy (little weird niggle of a tight muscle near my SHINs still bothering me ?!?! ever since I had a bunch of stat dept meetings last week and spent most of the day sitting-------maybe it was from suppressing the urge to kick for 6 hours straight)

Ran 96 km (which would be 60 miles) of my first 100 miler on Friday, bleeding into Saturday. That was the craziest terrain I have ever run on. First 18 miles barefoot, the last with a combination of VFF's and NB 110's (awesome minimal trail shoes for slippery terrain) Would of keep going but I tweeked my knee on a serious incline and was worried about falling of a goat trail along a cliff side that was about 4 feet wide. This is such a crazy terrain race that elites generally finish in the 22 hour range and they have a 35 hour cut off and it is used. If I continued on at the speed I was going I would of been in between 34 and 35 hours.

Ran 96 km (which would be 60 miles) of my first 100 miler on Friday, bleeding into Saturday. That was the craziest terrain I have ever run on. First 18 miles barefoot, the last with a combination of VFF's and NB 110's (awesome minimal trail shoes for slippery terrain) Would of keep going but I tweeked my knee on a serious incline and was worried about falling of a goat trail along a cliff side that was about 4 feet wide. This is such a crazy terrain race that elites generally finish in the 22 hour range and they have a 35 hour cut off and it is used. If I continued on at the speed I was going I would of been in between 34 and 35 hours.

Wow. Incredible. Congratulations!!
I understand people being hard on themselves over DNFs, but 40 miles of rough terrain is nothing to sneeze at, lest, of course, you fall off the cliff.
Glad you saved your knee and didn't risk finding your way to the bottom of a cliff, because that would hurt way worse than a knee.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test