Weekly mileage 36th week of 2012

6.64 miles on the Sturgeon Creek Trail System. Love the feel of dirt between my toes.

10k and now my heel is flared up so bad I can barely walk. I did a mile and a half to two miles barefoot and the rest shod. Wife now tells me I am not allowed to run again till I see a doc again and get myself fixed...

Reactions: jldeleon
Sorry to hear that Nick. But congrats to S. Cedastic.
I just got back from a three-day camping trip, and am rehydrating now after a long trip home. Didn't manage to run Sat or Sun, but got in 3.3 very slow miles on gravel this morning. I tried a higher cadence (nope, still not a cadence thread), and bending my knees but that didn't help. I think I would wear some kind of footwear next time, but I enjoyed the zen-like experience of running on my most challenging surface to date. I brought my 'marathon stick' along on the trip and massaged my lower legs and stretched out my feet religiously the whole time I was gone. There's still a little TOFP lurking in my left foot, but it's close to gone.

Nick, I don't know anything about PF, but have you tried massaging and stretching out the lower leg? If it's a Achilles tendon issue, this might help: http://gobarefooting.wordpress.com/2010/06/18/injury-achilles-tendon/
Thanks for the link Lee. I stretch and massage and roll and do the stupid exercises that you're supposed to do for pf all the time. I spend a good half hour to an hour every day doing all those things. Beginning to feel like I just need to give up the ridiculous notion that I will ever get back "in shape". I am giving up running for a while, which has some of my local running friends up in arms already and they want to get their hands on me so they can try to work magic. I am going to see a new podiatrist and get a second opinion and I am also going to switch to cycling for the foreseeable future combined with weights. You all may not see me on here much as it is hard to not want to go out and run when I keep reading all of yours (collectively) running stories and experiences.

Thanks for the link Lee. I stretch and massage and roll and do the stupid exercises that you're supposed to do for pf all the time. I spend a good half hour to an hour every day doing all those things. Beginning to feel like I just need to give up the ridiculous notion that I will ever get back "in shape". I am giving up running for a while, which has some of my local running friends up in arms already and they want to get their hands on me so they can try to work magic. I am going to see a new podiatrist and get a second opinion and I am also going to switch to cycling for the foreseeable future combined with weights. You all may not see me on here much as it is hard to not want to go out and run when I keep reading all of yours (collectively) running stories and experiences.
Hey Nick, do what you have to do. Sometimes complete rest is the only answer. That's what I was looking at until I figured out what was going on with my TOFP by accident. But before you resign yourself to that, I think a second (or third, fourth, fifth) opinion is a good idea. Hope to see you around in any case.

10k and now my heel is flared up so bad I can barely walk. I did a mile and a half to two miles barefoot and the rest shod. Wife now tells me I am not allowed to run again till I see a doc again and get myself fixed...
But wait a minute Nick. Weren't you doing OK with reduced distances and shod? Didn't you insist that you were ready for more when others thought you should continue to take it easy? Maybe you just need to stay the course you were on. You may be a victim of your own exuberance, just like I was.

Forgot to post yesterday, 7 miles running through golf courses and trails along the river, and a streaking jaunt across the perimeter highway on Monday
Today was a 6 mile run up Crawford Trail in Riding Mountain National Park. Good elevation and quick. Guess I should slow down big run is on Friday.

Reactions: dutchie53
Forgot to post yesterday, 7 miles running through golf courses and trails along the river, and a streaking jaunt across the perimeter highway on Monday
Today was a 6 mile run up Crawford Trail in Riding Mountain National Park. Good elevation and quick. Guess I should slow down big run is on Friday.
What's the big run?

You mean BR (Bare Running)?
No I mean run really, really fast so as to not get hit by speeding traffic across very busy highway

No I mean run really, really fast so as to not get hit by speeding traffic across very busy highway
I don't do highways where I live, but I do enjoy sprinting like a gazelle across intersections and streets, looking like a lost Tutsi.
Looking forward to your race report. Maybe it should be called "Lost Soles" for all the shoddies . . .

Reactions: Barefooting Bob