Weekly mileage 33rd week of 2012

4.55 shod hot n hilly miles. I conquered every hill today, including those that I've never beat before plus I added a few extra hills. Did I mention I avg'd a 12:23 pace while doing these hills? Dang I'm starting to see some massive leaps in performance lately. Can't wait to see how I do come winter with our mild and cool weather.

hah you beat me to making this thread by about an hour or so. I went 2.5 BF miles at work. Still haven't been able to do the whole 30 without several walk breaks. It started raining this morning as I left for work so thought I would have the pleasure of running in the rain, but it quit about an hour before I went out. Luckily the clouds stuck around, though, so it was breezy and only in the mid 70's at noon.

4.12 shod and hilly miles. Same temp and same route as Wednesday only this time without the stroller, I was not only able to run it 3min/mile faster but the one big hill I was able to run without stopping at all!!! We ran it at a 13:53 pace the other day and today I ran it at a 10:56 pace!

Hey looks like a cozy club. May I join?

I know it's a bit late in the running mileage year, but I thought if I start posting here I could rely on Nick, Dutchie, scedastic and perhaps others who know about my recent bout with over-exuberance, also known as over-training, to help keep me in line and give me sh!t if I start overdoing it again. Sorry to parcel out the responsibility, but BFR is much bigger than me--a sweet siren calling to me rather insistently, annoyingly, yet sweetly, pretty much no matter what I'm doing or where I am.

So anyway, just got back from a run. The first since last Friday. Left foot has felt good for two days, and not bad a few days before that. The suspected ITBS has not reared its ugly face since the moment I stopped running on last Friday's run and came home walking. Today, the top of my foot just past my ankle bothered me ever so slightly for the first few blocks, which helped me remain resolute in keeping the relaunch short, and so I just did four hill repeats at a very leisurely overall pace of 11:11 on the steepest hill in the neighborhood, just a few blocks away from my street. A guy with huge stiff boots and a smallish backpack was training on the same hill. I wondered at our contrasts. Me shirtless with just shorts, sunglasses, and my Garmin 210, and him sweating through his long-sleeved shirt and looking miserable with his feet immobilized and his seemingly ill-adjusted backpack causing him to slouch.

Weekly total: 2.2 miles (barefoot of course--damn acorns, aren't they a bit early this year?).

If nothing shows up post-run, I'll try 3-4 miles on Monday.

Dammit. My feet are a bit tingly, and I can hear the mileage monsters howling faintly in the distance, about halfway across St. Paul. You guys gotta help me with this.

Nice post Lee. I noticed those acorns yesterday on the golf course, and yup they kind of hurt.
I'm pretty sure last fall I didn't notice any acorns until about mid-September. I wonder if the early spring is the cause for the August appearance--they've been out for several weeks already. Or if it's a sign, as DNE seems to imply with what would otherwise be a non sequitur, of a long winter to come. Anyway, thanks for the support and encouragement.

thursday: 16.5, in huaraches, got a little tofp over it
friday: 4 in shoes (nb minimus, not so minumus, but helped the tofp), then 1.5 with kids in shoes again
saturday: 3.3 bf near my mom's house: super bf nice sidewalks except for the acorns here and there.

biggest mileage ever this week in over a year, and still a bit of tofp, but it's getting better; not sure I'm qualified to tell others how to be cautious.

thursday: 16.5, in huaraches, got a little tofp over it
friday: 4 in shoes (nb minimus, not so minumus, but helped the tofp), then 1.5 with kids in shoes again
saturday: 3.3 bf near my mom's house: super bf nice sidewalks except for the acorns here and there.

biggest mileage ever this week in over a year, and still a bit of tofp, but it's getting better; not sure I'm qualified to tell others how to be cautious.
Hey scedastic, I wondered about wearing shoes for longer runs, at least while I wait for my bare feet to to be able to handle them. Is it the extra cushioning that helps with the tofp? I'm a bit of a barefoot purist, so it would be hard to don footwear, but I'm also becoming a bit of a runner, so it would be nice to run as far as I know my legs can carry me, and this 'transition' is in its second year now, and I still can't seem to run much more than an hour without my left foot acting up. Even after yesterday's baby run, I can feel a slight something in my left foot's metatarsals. It's not even an ache. Just something there. I've gotten good at managing it, and theoretically I should be able to continue to manage it while I build up the mileage again, this time more slowly, but I'm wondering if it might not be wise to cheat a bit while I'm waiting, and get in one decent long run per week. This would also help me lose that last 20 pounds around the middle, which would translate as less impact then on my feet, which could speed up the mileage-piling. I know Nick has had success using shoes to heal his pf, so I've wondered if perhaps I should adapt this strategy too, even though my problem isn't as debilitating, and I'm still able to run barefoot enough (1 hour per run, 3x per week) for general fitness purposes.

Hey scedastic, I wondered about wearing shoes for longer runs, at least while I wait for my bare feet to to be able to handle them. Is it the extra cushioning that helps with the tofp? I'm a bit of a barefoot purist, so it would be hard to don footwear, but I'm also becoming a bit of a runner, so it would be nice to run as far as I know my legs can carry me, and this 'transition' is in its second year now, and I still can't seem to run much more than an hour without my left foot acting up. Even after yesterday's baby run, I can feel a slight something in my left foot's metatarsals. It's not even an ache. Just something there. I've gotten good at managing it, and theoretically I should be able to continue to manage it while I build up the mileage again, this time more slowly, but I'm wondering if it might not be wise to cheat a bit while I'm waiting, and get in one decent long run per week. This would also help me lose that last 20 pounds around the middle, which would translate as less impact then on my feet, which could speed up the mileage-piling. I know Nick has had success using shoes to heal his pf, so I've wondered if perhaps I should adapt this strategy too, even though my problem isn't as debilitating, and I'm still able to run barefoot enough (1 hour per run, 3x per week) for general fitness purposes.
Don't use me as an example Lee... People around these parts may not like you suggesting that shoes might help sometimes... Honestly though, I think it's the heel drop and the cushioning of this particular shoe that I have that helps me feel better. I am starting to try to incorporate more barefoot and zero drop throughout my day, but when running I will wear the shoes. Do you have any sandals or huaraches you could use? I really suggest going as minimal as you can and only using as much footwear as necessary and nothing more. I've been contemplating how to make a huarache type sandal with a slight drop and seeing if that would work for me...

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS