Week 16 of 2012

Only ran twice last week due to pulling an all-nighter last Sunday night and feeling like poo on Monday. Planned to run today but was once again too busy as I wrap up a big project. Hoping to get out tomorrow, though not sure if I'll make it out 3 times this week or not.

Man I was doing so well in the month March, too. :(

Ran second 7 miler of the week...still working on getting the soles conditioned. Staying on pace for 100 miles barefoot this month.

YESSSS finally completed a Week 4 workout, including the full 6 minute running section! That makes a total of 14 minutes running today on my normal 2-mile circuit. Hope I can repeat it again tomorrow, or maybe Thursday.

The difference was, I think, going slower. I barely went 15:30 min/mile on the RUNNING portions. Yeah that's slow as Christmas but hey at least it was actual running!

*edit* did it full BF skin-to-ground today, too! No pain or soreness at all afterwards.

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
Little over mile bf walk along with about a third mile run/jog. I also walked around for 20-30 minutes on wood chips in the park with my son plus through the little wooded section. Decided I really like barefeet to natural ground than concrete. Something about it but I can't quite put my finger on it.

Natural is primal. It brings out the essence inside us.

3.2 at lunch.

Weather is starting to warm up. Today's loop has 3 different surfaces. Concrete feels good, asphalt is bearable, and rubberized surface is beginning to burn a little. It will only be a few weeks before I need foot protection (huraches maybe?) or I'll need to switch to early morning (Yuck!)

Woohoo I did a repeat of the Week 4 workout in full, on my normal 2-mile circuit! Well I say in full, although on the last 4-minute "Run" prompt, I kept walking for maybe 10 seconds as I had just topped a hill and was trying to get my breathing a bit more under control. So I guess I went 13:50 instead of the full 14 minutes. :D But I did complete the full 6 minute run again! It's still pretty hard for me, though. I'm huffing and puffing pretty heavy after the 6m run, despite my slower pace.

But I did improve my overall pace from Tuesday, averaging right at 15 min/mile on the running portions, and just over 20 min/mile walking (Tuesday was over 22 min/mile). As a comparison, in past weeks when I couldn't finish the 6-minute run, I was starting out running in the 12-13 min/mile range, as opposed to 15-15.5 min/mile this week.

Forgot to measure my running distance for Tuesday and today. Since I started completing the full Week 4 workout this week, I've run a total of nearly 1 mile each workout! The 6 minute run is almost 1/2 mile. Wow! I've gone from running 600 feet at a time to almost 1/2 a mile.

Tuesday- hill repeats, ~2.5 miles
Wednesday- 4 miles
Thursday- 5.5 miles

Out of curiosity, are you an IT person, 5t3ph4n13? (your handle suggests you might be - all the IT folks I know swap certain letters with numbers when issuing passwords and such).

As for me...

Monday - walked ~4 miles in Huaraches
Tuesday - Jogged 0.5 mi BF
Thursday - Jogged 0.5 mi BF

The road is long, but at least the progress is slow :)

lol that's also known as "1337 speak" (leet speak, for elite). Type "1337" into Google and you'll see.

Hey guys,

I don't normally post in the mileage threads, but I noticed Nick mentioned natural ground and and Mokaman mentioned sole conditioning. I just ran 3 days in a row in one of my fields, over an hour each day. Uneven ground, soft dirt, but lots of old roots, sticks, and stickers. Incredible for the sole conditioning. Toes and arches are getting tough and no soreness. The dirt is magical, I strongly recommend finding some. Best part for me is no joint soreness because of the soft dirt (I have been struggling with knee pain).

Good job everyone on your miles or time barefoot.

I love walking through dry dirt when I'm at the park with my son, about as much as mud. :D

lol that's also known as "1337 speak" (leet speak, for elite). Type "1337" into Google and you'll see.

Well, I'll be dipped in shit....you learn something new every day!

My husband is a software engineer, I'm just 1337. :) Nothing more than an advanced computer-user.

Very good, then! Greetings from the other side of The Bay!