Wedding gown shopping

Since I shoot weddings, where do I start?

1. A poorly fitted gown adds 10+ pounds.
2. A poorly fitted gown weighs 10+ pounds in anything over 85+ degree heat (or so I have heard). You might be in MA and get lucky with the weather, but if the humidity spikes, watch out.
3. See #'s 1 & 2.
4. Make sure you do a "test run" (aka. a bridal portrait session) at least a month prior to the wedding with dress, hair and makeup as fashioned.I don't understand why more brides won't do this. :confused:
5. If fitted now, what is your weight going to be in 3 months? 6 months? 8 months? Or, 1 week from the wedding?

I refused to look at dresses until DH actually proposed, so I had six months to find a dress. I bought a dress that fit perfectly about five months out, so I didn't have to worry about gaining weight or losing weight -- I just didn't do anything different for five months. I tried dresses that were ridiculous, dresses that were ok, dresses that were pretty good, and then I knew I had the perfect dress when I had a vision of DH standing at the front of the church looking at me in that dress. Then I tried on veils that were ridiculous, mostly. But when I got exactly the right veil, both my mom and I started crying. I had a lot of fun that afternoon, and I'm probably lucky that it went so smoothly.
But DH and I had fun with our whole wedding. We were pretty laid-back about the whole thing -- we'd chatted about Princess Bride with our pastor at the rehearsal, so during the wedding he asked, "Can I have the wing?" And then DH's brother pulls out this bubble-gum machine plastic blue ring, then said, "No wait, that's not it!" And pulls out a red one, "No, that's not it either!" before he pulled out my actual ring. DH was rolling his eyes and I was dying laughing!

Reactions: mandytheartist
I'm not so sure you should start looking this far out. I mean dang, a LOT can change with a lot of things in 20 months (August 2014?). You may wait until like 4-6 months prior, like early 2014.

But hey what do I know, I met my wife in April 2006, started dating in July, proposed in January 2007 and got married in August 2007.

Since we "live in sin", does that mean I can't wear a veil? (I always thought veils conveyed virginity/purity)

Maybe it used to, but I agree that on your day, wear whatever you want to wear! Though if you're planning a non-traditional wedding (casual, nudist, etc) you might want to warn the guests so that they dress appropriately (or not). Not that I've seen it done at a wedding, but my husband's uncle's funeral was supposedly a casual affair. We missed the memo and were the only ones in dress slacks, when everyone else was in shorts and tennis shoes.

I'm not so sure you should start looking this far out. I mean dang, a LOT can change with a lot of things in 20 months (August 2014?). You may wait until like 4-6 months prior, like early 2014.

But hey what do I know, I met my wife in April 2006, started dating in July, proposed in January 2007 and got married in August 2007.

DH and I started dating August 2001. He proposed on Valentine's Day 2002 and we got married in August 2002. A friend fixed us up on our first date. After our second date she called me and said, "You must promise me that you will date six months before you get engaged!" Except that our folks would've imploded, we could've gotten married after three dates. Sometimes, it's just right!! :D

ah poo is that a venue rule or something?? Do you REALLY want to be in heels?

My mother insisted that I wear heels, because then my dress wouldn't have to be hemmed at all. It was the only thing I wished I'd done differently. Note -- coming down steps with a bouquet in one hand and a new spouse in the other can be somewhat problematic if your dress is a smidge too long ....

Reactions: mandytheartist
Mandy, maybe those northern UU's are stodgier than those I've associated with, but I'd think that nobody would blink at BF. High heels do seem deeply, deeply....um...do you like high heels?