Wear and Tear

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by Neil_D, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Neil_D

Neil_D
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Australia
    2. Presidents

I am going through a frustrating patch at the moment. I am having to ease off on the running just as we are getting into the best part of the year.
    I seem to be getting recurring Achilles tendon problems that I am having a hard time shifting. It probably stemmed from an injury over a year ago when I strained a calf muscle that took around 6 weeks out of my running year.
    I came back from it but there must have been some lingering imbalances and they have now flared up with all my winter running on the concrete and bitumen roads and pathways.
    I have tried unltrasound but that has done very little to help so I'm back to calf raises and reverse raises to see if I can work on the calf muscle.
    As the good weather arrives I feel stir crazy that I can't get out there and run my long distances, I can feel my fitness slipping away.
    It looks like I will have to satisfy myself with gym work for a while along with some walking.

Neil

2. kalipyjamas

kalipyjamas
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Australia
    2. United Kingdom

Can you get on some trails / nasty stuff?

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  3. Geordi Maclean

Geordi Maclean
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Australia

Have a look at the sock doc- Steve gangemi he has a great video library section and is a barefoot runner doctor etc.

4. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    1. Test Chapter
    2. Nomad
    3. Hidden...
    4. Hidden...

Yes, Neil, please use the Ask the Docs forum as well. See what they have to say.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  5. Neil_D

Neil_D
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Australia
    2. Presidents

Hi folks,
    I'm pretty sure it is the Posterior Tibialis tendon that is the one that is sore. It connects up into the calf on the inside of the legs and I believe it's function is to allow the arch of the foot to return back after being flexed.
    I can still run but I have the feeling that will delay the problem being resolved.
    Our bodies are delicate balances and I think my right hip flexor may be involved as each time I would get into the car after a long run and swing the legs into the car I was aware that the hip flexor was sore.
    It would be ok later on but I would feel it if I raised my leg up in front from a standing position.
    The sore hip was on the same side as the initial calf problem.
    I'll check out some of Socdocs videos.
    Been busy at moment getting a new house built which is mentally quite tiring, running is a good stress relief.

Regards

Neil

6. murls

murls
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Australia

Hope it gets better soon.

7. Larry

Larry
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Australia

Not that it's any consolation, but it's a similar story here Neil. I rolled an ankle playing basketball about 2 or 3 months ago and it still feels a little stiff, and I've been battling niggles in other spots ever since. It's amazing how a small thing can throw everything out of whack. Sometimes you've just got to rest and heal. Hope it gets better!