Was my form bad or was it burns?

PKFFW

Barefooters
Oct 10, 2010
Sydney, Australia
I've been doing the BFR thing for about 5 weeks now. Gradually adding a bit more to the end of my runs. I'm now up to running BF for the last 10 mins, which is about 2 km. Initially I had some shin and calf soreness and got 2 blisters. However, since that all went away I've not had any problems at all. In fact I've often been tempted to up the BFR part of my run much quicker but have resisted that temptation after reading so much about TMTS injuries and all the advice to take it slow.

So today I went for a run and within 2 mins of going BF I started to feel hot spots under both feet. Not to worry I thought, just concentrate of form a bit more and fix the problem. No luck. After persevering for about 6 or 7 minutes and trying everything I could to adjust I ended up with a blister on the forefoot of both feet behind the 3rd toe. I also got a small blister on the 3rd toe of my left foot.

I can think of only two causes. Either

A: My form was terrible today for some reason

or

B: It was a rather hot day and I was running on netball courts that have a layer of non-slip paint which was fairly warm(almost "hot"). Perhaps the blisters are a result of burns.

So what do you think?

Burns.  It is so easy to burn

Burns. It is so easy to burn the skin so quickly. You said you noticed this just 2 minutes into starting your run. That's a good indication that these were burns. You don't normally develop blisters after 2 minutes of running due to poor form. Be careful about those track/court surfaces you run on. They are deceptive. The rubber tracks sound oh so comfy, but turn out to cause the worst heat friction burns.

Beats me.  I found that in

Beats me. I found that in gearing up to my first few mile BF run, the progress wasn't always linear. Sometimes the feet just act up and you have to adjust a bit. It was my feet or my calves or my achilles. Just listen to the legs and ease up.

Take into consideration that I'm only 6 months into BF, and 6 weeks into occasional VFF use. There are folks on the board with thousands of miles more experience than me

Barefoot TJ wrote:Burns.  It

Barefoot TJ said:
Burns. It is so easy to burn the skin so quickly. You said you noticed this just 2 minutes into starting your run. That's a good indication that these were burns. You don't normally develop blisters after 2 minutes of running due to poor form. Be careful about those track/court surfaces you run on. They are deceptive. The rubber tracks sound oh so comfy, but turn out to cause the worst heat friction burns.

I was thinking the same thing but since I'm so new to this BFR thing I thought it best to get some advice. As Joseph said, I'm sure my progress wont be all smooth sailing, it will have it's ups and downs. This seemed excessive though.

Btw, this wasn't a rubber track per se. The principle is the same though I suppose as the paint, whilst only millimeters thin and not giving any "comfort", is there to give grip and so friction is going to be a big by-product. I just wish there was some smooth concrete or asphalt around where I live but there isn't. When I move in November that will change though so I only have to wait a little while.

Yes, the track was an

Yes, the track was an example, but I have run over texturized paint, and it can get painful if you stay on it for any period of time.

More little blisters have

More little blisters have come up and pretty much the entire forefoot of both feet have blisters now. I just don't think my form could have been so bad as to do this to my feet.

No running for a few days for me and I will be lucky if I am able to participate in my Kung Fu grading on Friday!

Nah, blisters usually only

Nah, blisters usually only take a single day off for me, if they're not left pillowy. You might not be running, but KungFu should be possible by Friday.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts