Warrior Dash - Old Monroe (St. Louis) Sept 28th. ANYONE?

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by OneBiteAtATime, Sep 4, 2013.

1. OneBiteAtATime

OneBiteAtATime Moderator
    1. Florida -...

Hi! All.

I'm John from Quincy IL. Pretty new to BFR. Raised in the St. Charles, MO area and think of myself as a member of the Show Me State. Hopefully I won't get tossed out of the club because I actually live 20 blocks east of the river.

I intend to participate in the Old Monroe Warrior Dash on Sept 28th this year, wanted some pointers:

1. Is anyone else in the MO Chapter going?
    2. Have you run it before and can a guy like me who is primarily on concrete handle the course barefoot?

OK, just 2 pointers I guess.....

And if there's any other tri-state area barefooters (Hannibal, or NE MO) let me know.

Barefoot TJ likes this.
  2. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ Administrator
    1. Nomad

Speak up, Missouri! This has been an idle chapter. It would be nice to see some of you get together for some runs...or just talk in this forum. Say hello! :barefoot:

OneBiteAtATime likes this.
  3. barefoot kean

barefoot kean Barefooters
    1. Missouri

You wont get kicked out, we welcome all people. As for your other questions, I have no clue. TJ, we have developed a texting system between the members of our chapter. Its actually pretty cool, we text one number and everyone gets the meetup or event in their phone inbox. However, I do try and post the larger events

4. BareFootExperience

BareFootExperience Barefooters
    1. Missouri

Sorry OBAAT, I have only been RBF a year and have only one BF event under my belt. That was a 4 miler. I am running in the National Children's Cancer Society 5k on 9/14 in Edwarsville, IL. Will be my first BR 5k.
    As for 9/28. I'm helping a friend time a race in Warrensburg. It's a 5k at the Veteran's home.
    I'm in the St. Louis area a lot.

5. barefoot kean

1. Missouri

Would either of you be interested in a run this week or next? the location can be pretty flexible.

Barefoot TJ likes this.
  6. BareFootExperience

1. Missouri

I'll be in St. Louis a couple of days this week. Not Tuesday, but flexible after that. Even after the 5k on the 14th in Edwardsville would be cool to do.

Barefoot TJ likes this.
  7. BareFootExperience

1. Missouri

I may need to warn you guys about running with me. I top end at about 4 mph.

8. OneBiteAtATime

OneBiteAtATime Moderator
    1. Florida -...

I'd be game, I'd go to the St. Louis area or Montgomery City or Columbia area sometime. I'm not putting on a bunch of miles yet, but it would be neat to spend some time with some more experienced barefooters!!! Gimme some pointers.....

Wish I had some more experience so I could come play at Castlewood! I ran out there in high school a lot. Fun trails. My favorite trails in that area are the Lewis & Clark trail on the St. Charles side (just south of Francis Howell High).

9. barefoot kean

1. Missouri

My personal favorite place to run is forest park, I know a few really good routes (and a fantastic hill, all grass) if you guys are interested. 4 mph is a perfectly fine speed, I doubt I go much faster on runs more then a few miles. OneBite, id also be happy to help ya out and give you some pointers, id hate for you to make the same mistakes I did. I work most evenings, but mornings and afternoons are free. Does this upcoming Wednesday the 11th at 10 am work? If not let me know when and we can go then.

10. barefoot kean

1. Missouri

Or we can go this weekend, or next weekend, or both, or any day of the week. My schedule is 100% flexible so long as the run is before 4. OneBite (or anyone else if they are interested), if you are interested I can meet up with you one on one and we can go over proper form and even some drills to help technique.

Lastly, we also have a facebook page worth liking. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Barefoot-Runners-Society-Missouri-Chapter-Official/120003908075319

and if the link doesnt work its called "Barefoot Runners Society - Missouri Chapter (Official) "

11. flipngrip

flipngrip Chapter Presidents
    1. Missouri
    2. Nevada -...
    3. Presidents

Anyone that is on this thread if they want to send me their mobile number via email I can add them to the text message group that BFK referred to. It is an easy way to keep in touch and can be that last minute text out to the group when you are itching to go for a run and looking for an excuse to get out there! Send your mobiles to flipngrip@gmail.com... looking forward to it!

12. OneBiteAtATime

OneBiteAtATime Moderator
    1. Florida -...

I could probably do Wed. Weekends are normally better.

LOL, driving 2 hours to run half an hour.

But it would be worth it to help make sure I'm doing this properly to limit injuries.

13. barefoot kean

1. Missouri

Wow, because you have to drive so far afterward Ill take you to a good bar and get you a good beer. Im thinking Urban Chestnut, in my opinion they are the best micro brew in St. Louis

Barefoot TJ likes this.
  14. BareFootExperience

1. Missouri

sent it - thanks for all you do

15. BareFootExperience

1. Missouri

I'm looking this over. I really like the idea. I was planning on being in STL any way. Let me pencil it out and i'll watch for any more posts from you guys on the subject.
    till then, look both ways,

16. BareFootExperience

1. Missouri

Looking things over, I'm going to crawfish on this run. Like I said, I have my first barefoot 5k in Edwardsville this weekend. I'm basically healthy. I've trained for chat, which is what I was told it is. Let me get this one behind me and then I'll be gamey. Looking forward to meeting you guys, for sure.

17. OneBiteAtATime

OneBiteAtATime Moderator
    1. Florida -...

Well, I think I'm game. I have to put 2-3 days between BFR's because bones, muscles and ligaments especially in my left foot need the recovery time. Dang, this transition hurts!

I had a run yesterday that was OK, but I'll just cross train early this week - so I'll have the feet to run on Wednesday.

I'll post my phone # on the text thing so we can sure up a meeting place if you're still game, bfkean.

Looking forward to learning!

BareFootExperience likes this.
  18. barefoot kean

1. Missouri

My first day of barefoot I got in the ballpark of 10 blisters on my feet and couldnt run for then once every other day for several weeks because the bottoms of my feet hurt.

Another thing that happens when you are transitioning is your bones become stronger in your feet. This happens by your body stripping away some of the outer layer and replacing it with stronger stuff. So fast forward to a year after I started barefoot running, ended up with a stress fracture. Crazy part is I wasnt running when it fractured, I had a very high bed at the time and was dropping down when it happened.

19. barefoot kean

1. Missouri

looks like we will be meeting up this Wednesday. Im no 100% sure what time or exactly where we are meeting in Forest Park yet, but I will have that information tomorrow. As of right now I am leaning toward meeting at Steinburg Rink. Its where I usually meet up with people and it has some very nice features nearby.