Warrior dash barefoot or VFF?

paintboy

Barefooters
Jun 12, 2011
I'm running it on the 17th in Mancester TN. Has anyone else ran one with naked feet? Is the coarse barefoot freindly?

Nobody? Then I will do it

Nobody? Then I will do it barefoot and report back. Take one for the team and all. :D

Have you thought about

Have you thought about running it ahead of time to get a feel for it? I'm trying to get out to the Merrell Down & Dirty with Mokie here outside Atlanta to run it before the race. It's always good to scope it out first. Regardless, please add what you learn about the course (and rate its barefoot-friendliness...ha!) to the Course Reviews section up top, so the rest of us will know if we want to try it.

I have yet to run it, but

I have yet to run it, but know a few people who have been running it the last few years here in Texas. The last couple years there have been a bunch of people doing it in Vibrams, but from the sound of things, I don't see why an experienced trail runner couldn't knock it out sans footwear.

I am interested to hear how it goes though! Good luck!!

-Jonny

i just did the Oregon WD on

i just did the Oregon WD on saturday bf. freaked everyone out. the announcer was making fun of me at the start. i played nice with him and most others. i did it last year in my biks and have done many other trail races bf so i knew i could handle this. it's only 3.2 miles. no big deal. i actually ran a race at the same ranch in May with a couple of other BRS'rs. it was 6 miles and we did it bf. lots of mud and gravel. way worse than the WD. i left there with a little cut on my sole.

i'll do a race report probably tomorrow. i do have pics posted to my FB account as well as posted to the BRS FB. check em out there or just wait until i post. that is if i can figure out how to post pics.

i say if you feel experienced enough to handle about any gravel then go for it. the reactions will be entertaining. had a few people saying "there goes a real warrior". i replied "that's what i'm saying". i almost said that to the announcer heckling me but i thought with everyone standing still i may just look like an ass instead of a smart ass.

Mike

You always make these runs

You always make these runs seems so easy, Mike. Would love to have your report and photos for the home page. Please email them to me at [email protected]. Thanks!

TJ, if you want to see

TJ, if you want to see someone who makes it look easy then go watch paraganek run. even though joshh is a little faster pg makes it look easy. he's never out of breathe, never slows down, never changes stride or form, always stays same speed, speeds up over gravel. watch some of the videos he's posted. he'll soon be winning races.

i'll make a report and send it to you later then. will it work from my email? do i need to make a doc with attachments and send it to you?

Mike

A document from your email or

A document from your email or written in your email will be fine...and pictures too, if you got them. Hard to have pictures of yourself while you are running, I understand. ;-)

I did the Oregon Dash

I did the Oregon Dash barefoot on Sunday. I hadn't planned to, but my homemade huaraches lasted about 500 yards. The race is doable bare, and I felt I had an advantage on many obstacles since I didn't have slime covered shoes; I had toes that could grab on to the ropes, etc. What set me back is the fact that I hadn't done much (any) bf trail running, so I wasn't conditioned to it and had a hard time with the scattered gravel/rock surprises. If you can find details about the running aspect of the course I think it would help you decide.

I did see TONS of VFF wearers though.

I hadn't done much (any) bf

I hadn't done much (any) bf trail running .

HA! Hysterical. Welcome, Lomad!

When I get the hardcore

When I get the hardcore comment, I always tell them I'm not running this way to be hardcore. I'm running this way because it's the best way for me to run.

I got the "hardcore" etc. at

I got the "hardcore" etc. at the Dash; I consistently replied "nope; just misguided" with a big grin. Like Gentile, i don't run barefoot to be hardcore; i do it because my body feels so much better for running this way.

That said, the cheers and comments really kept me motivated duriong the race. My favorite was the runner who passed me late in my race who said "Oh thank God; I passed the barefoot dude; I must be doing OK!" She said it with a big grin and it totally cracked me up.

Barefoot TJ wrote:I hadn't

Barefoot TJ said:
I hadn't done much (any) bf trail running .

HA! Hysterical. Welcome, Lomad!

Like that?
wink_smile.gif
Truth is, it wasn't all THAT bad; I just had to dance around a bit more than I would have otherwise. I did take one extra day off between that and my next run, just due to a couple small bruises on the arches. I've got a full race report up on my blog, from a back of the pack perspective of course. Since I'm new I don't want to overload with the links; anyone who's interested let me know and I'll point you there.

Lomad, ok i got my answers

Lomad,

ok i got my answers from another thread in here. are you from oregon? in the portland are we run together a lot. most of our fruns are never posted but just happen with two or more people. i too saw lots of vff including some fila.

Gentile,

i say the same thing but this was the warrior dash. not your ordinary race. i wanted to make fun of people for wearing shoes and not being real warriors, but i didn't.

Mike

migangelo wrote:Lomad, ok

migangelo said:
Lomad,

ok i got my answers from another thread in here. are you from oregon? in the portland are we run together a lot. most of our fruns are never posted but just happen with two or more people. i too saw lots of vff including some fila.

Gentile,

i say the same thing but this was the warrior dash. not your ordinary race. i wanted to make fun of people for wearing shoes and not being real warriors, but i didn't.

Mike

Yeah, I'm Portland-adjacent in Vantucky. That's Vancouver, WA to the uninitiated. I'd love to run with other, more experirnced barefooters! I'd probably learn something. I am super slow, still, though...

migangelo wrote:Lomad, ok

migangelo said:
Lomad,

Gentile,

Mike

I hear you Mike! That is actually a great way to fire people up at a warrior dash, so cool you did it barfoot as well.

Wow that was an awesome race.

Wow that was an awesome race. I found a bird's eye view of the course on their web site and decide to wear my VFF's. Lots of gravel in the first mile and I'm still too new to race on it. I passed one barefooter and he was miserable. He said he had blisters from the gravel and cuts from the hay stalks. So I think I made the right choice.

Saw many runners with VFF's and other minimalist shoes. I finished with a time of 37:52 for 1779 out of 10921. I am very pleased with that for my first time running a race of this kind. Think I need to run more hills for next time. The course was flat but the obstacles were steep. Just about the time I got into my stride another one would show up.

My vote is that it was not barefoot friendly.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test