WARNING: GRAPHIC SURGICAL PICTURES -- So, you wouldn't believe what the doctor found in my feet...

Barefoot TJ

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 5, 2010
So, you wouldn't believe what the doctor found inside my feet. The tibial nerve runs through the tarsal tunnel, then it splits into three different nerves (the medial plantar nerve, the lateral plantar nerve, and the calcaneal nerve, and those three pass through their own tunnels. The tibial nerve and its three nerves in my feet actually split BEFORE the tarsal tunnel higher up on my ankle. This was found in both feet. The doctor said this occurs in about 5 percent of people.

He also found an extra muscle below my ankle on my left foot that was pressing up on the tibial nerve, so he removed it. It was about the size of my thumb. You could actually see it through my skin, but I never thought anything of it. I just though it was my "Arnold" muscles.

And, he examined my x-rays I brought from two years ago, and showed me where my fourth and fifth toes have only two joints instead of three. Apparently, mine became fused during formation. It's this way in both of my feet. I never even knew this, and having only two joints has never been a problem for me.

I will post the pictures he took of my surgery and the video as well. Warning...if you have a weak tummy, you may not want to look. I'll put a warning on it at that time. The doctor said he would be sharing these images at a conference/seminar at the end of September!

More to come...

These descriptions and pictures are from Dr. Dellon, emailed to me. They are of only the left foot, although the right foot was done also. The surgery at the ankle is the Tarsal Tunnel Decompression/Release, and the one at the arch is where he is correcting the hack job that was done to me by the previous surgeries (on both feet).

He wrote separately:

next photo we need is one of you smiling and walking in about 4 weeks

ha ha
Dr Dellon

Left foot mapped for surgery
LeftFootBeforeSurgery_reszd.jpg

left foot
small retractor is under the tibial nerve and tibial artery/vein note there is a nerve, medial plantar with a blue vessel loop on one side while the blue vessel loop is on the lateral plantar nerve on the other side these have divided higher up on your leg, and therefore occupy twice the volume within the tunnel as they should , making you very likely to have tarsal tunnel syndrome the small nerve to the heel, the calcaneal nerve is also trapped and is in the third vessel loop the extra muscle is seen as the purple object at the foot end of the tarsal tunnel
TarsalTunnelView_reszd.jpg

left foot
extra muscle excised (This is just part of the muscle; the amount was about the size of my thumb according to another picture he did not send to me.)
MuscleExcised_reszd.jpg

the divided branch lies below held in a clamp the blue loops are around the motor branch and the branch to the 4/5 webspace that were saved
DividedNerveBranch_reszd.jpg

the clamp has implanted the nerve into the muscle in the arch
NerveImplantedIntoArch_reszd.jpg

shows the medial plantar nerve with the divided ends that went to the stump neuromas
MedialPlantarNerveWithDividedEnds_reszd.jpg

shows the nerve being implanted
NerveImplantedIntoArch2_reszd.jpg

Reactions: Gidds
We always knew you were special........!

Reactions: Sid
Wow! At least you have some answers now. I'm glad you shared the pictures. I find it fascinating.

You'll be in my thoughts and prayers for a complete recovery, hopefully a speedy one!

I do get queasy but couldn't stop myself from looking at the pictures!
Wow! thanks for sharing and hope recovery is smooth sailing :)

Extra parts gone, stumps buried, you're NORMAL now!

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
Extra parts gone, stumps buried, you're NORMAL now!
lets not jump to any conclusions just yet board....TJ is far from what most would consider "NORMAL" :D
but I bet her feet are functioning much better now :barefoot:

Thanks, guys!

Here's a picture of me getting ready to head for the airport after the surgery the day before. Notice the big snowballs on the ends of my legs, but don't notice the weight gain from laying around on my ass the past 8 months. Getting around the airport was a bit of a challenge, and of course, TSA felt it necessary to do a special body check just for me! They asked if I wanted a private screening, and I'm like, "Of course!" So they wheeled me to a private room and felt me up. They even scanned my snowballs under some x-ray machine to make sure I wasn't packing anything extra there.

DSCN2888.JPG

Reactions: Bare Lee
So, was this good news for you? Better than you expected? What is the outlook for the possibility of running?
Congrats (is that the right word?) on a successful surgery!

It's too soon to tell if I will be "normal" again and if I can run again, but the recovery is much less painful than the last hack job. I can walk, even immediately and now just six days later without extreme pain. With the last surgery, I couldn't walk for a long time and when I did, it was too painful. I asked Dr. Dellon why it doesn't hurt as much as the other surgery, and he said, "Because I am careful to be gentle with the tissues I work with." I just took the snowballs off, and the stitches look better than the other surgery's, probably because Dr. Dellon was a plastic surgeon before he became a peripheral nerve surgeon.

Anyone want to see the stitches and Betadine? huh, huh, huh?

Reactions: zapmamak and Sid
Ok that was just plain awesome, love the pictures, can't wait for the motion picture :eek:. Glad to hear everything went well, I know you are going to be up and running sooner than later. .....and yes regarding the normal comment. TJ is as normal as the rest of us, and everybody knows the extent of that.

Thanks again, all! The surgery took four hours. He did not take video after all, although I could have sworn he said he did, but then I was probably doped up at the time I thought I heard that. Yes, he will be writing about my special case and sharing the photos...which he has lots and lots of photos of the surgery that I didn't get a copy of.

And, yes, I know I am weird. Anyone who has ever launched a barefoot running website just to have a look is weird. It's just those who stick around are the creepy ones, while the others close their browsers and pretend they never peeked.

Reactions: Sid
Sounds like all good news so far, TJ! Good Luck with the continued recovery!

I also have to add that I laughed out loud at "They even scanned my snowballs under some x-ray machine to make sure I wasn't packing anything extra there." It's just possible that there are some here who could misinterpret that...

Please...feel free to elaborate...

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts