Warming Up

Mark Wilkinson

Barefooters
Jun 2, 2012
Ypsilanti, MI
How long does it normally take everyone before they are completely warmed up and comfortable? I am typically not feeling great until 0.5 miles into my run, sometimes farther. Is this typical? If not, does anyone have advice? My typical warm up is a 5 minute walk. Thanks!

I'm usually in the groove at about a mile but depends on how much running I've been doing, it used to take me 3 miles before I felt comfortable.

It depends, but about 1.5ish and I just run extra slow in the beginning -no other warming up.

On a longer run, I walk the first quarter mile, but even then it usually takes .5-1.5 miles of running before I'm really in the groove, although sometimes I start flying right away at an unsustainable pace, and have to slow down after .5-1 mile. In the winter too, I don't always know if my feet are going to be OK until about a mile or 1.5 miles in. If they haven't warmed up by then, I usually throw on the Moc3s.

It varies for me. Always the first and second mile I just feel like everything is off, but then eventually settle into a nice groove. I ran a half marathon a few weeks ago and by the 10th mile I felt awesome, i started passing people like crazy on the last 3 miles, I actually could of kept going to be honest, that was a strange one.

Yes, I think I have more than 1 groove:

First,the half mile or so to just get past the clunky, cold phase;
Second, the 2 to 3 mile "air under my wings" phase;
Next, the 6 to 8 mile "forget I'm running" / "on autopilot" phase;
Last is the "can I stop yet?" phase closely followed by the "how soon can I work a nap into my schedule" phase.

Reactions: Bare Lee
Yes, I think I have more than 1 groove:

First,the half mile or so to just get past the clunky, cold phase;
Second, the 2 to 3 mile "air under my wings" phase;
Next, the 6 to 8 mile "forget I'm running" / "on autopilot" phase;
Last is the "can I stop yet?" phase closely followed by the "how soon can I work a nap into my schedule" phase.

For me:

1. 0.5 - 1.0 miles - Get past cold and clunky
2. 1.0-2.0 miles - "flying"
3. 3.0-4.0 miles - "autopilot"
4. 4.0+ miles - "Hey I better stop, I can't see anymore and I don't want to hurt myself"

Because of time constraints I have no idea how big the '+' is in #4.

I walk the first quarter mile and then it takes about a half mile to start feeling in the groove. My pace seems to naturally get faster about this point as well without me even thinking about speeding up.

I follow the guidlines thats either in Jasons book or Maffetones, or both, I forgot, and try to do a 15-20 minute aerobic warmup and cooldown every time. I'll start out walking for a few minutes, speed walking, as slow of a run as I can maintain, and gradually build up to a long run pace. If I am wearing a HRM I'll make sure to keep my heart rate down 20 below maff for the first 10 minutes, then 10 below maff for the next 10 minutes, gradually increasing. Usually 20 minutes is about 1.5 miles depending on how long I walk.

Sometimes I'll warmup mostly on the stationary bike and watch a 23 min show... its really about the only time I watch tv anymore. I still ramp up slowly when I hit the road, but usually within 5 minutes instead of an additional 20.

Pretty much the same for a cooldown, but I usually taper off quicker and spend more time walking.

I usually dont do any stretching anymore except for upper body. My legs seem just great by doing warmup/cooldown but my shoulder and across to my neck seems to be a problem if I dont stretch it out before.

How long does it normally take everyone before they are completely warmed up and comfortable? I am typically not feeling great until 0.5 miles into my run, sometimes farther. Is this typical? If not, does anyone have advice? My typical warm up is a 5 minute walk. Thanks!

My typical routine is: Run/jog 1/4 to 1/2 mile at easy pace(8-11 minute mile pace), perform technique drills and hopping drills, light stretches if needed then off to run. Routine takes between 5-10 minutes and I feel ready to go. If I am doing some type of faster running like intervals or the like I will usually add several build up strides 3 x 60meters. As a coach I recommend doing some time of warm-up to everyone ;-)

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts