Video Analysis

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by murls, Mar 10, 2013.

1. murls

murls Barefooters
    1. Australia

Hi everyone,

I finally got around to taking out my freestyle camera and filming myself running barefoot. Would appreciate some feedback as I am still very new to barefoot running.

2. BFwillie_g

BFwillie_g Barefooters
    1. New York
    2. Germany &...

You have to change the privacy settings. The default is 'private' if you're sending from your phone.

3. murls

murls Barefooters
    1. Australia

thanks I changed it to public. Hope that works.

BFwillie_g likes this.
  4. Neil_D

Neil_D Chapter Presidents
    1. Australia
    2. Presidents

Hi Murls,
    That looks pretty good to me. The only comment I can think would be to try to keep more bend in your leg at the landing. It looks like your lower leg swings forward and is only slightly bent when you make contact with the ground and this may put more pressure on your knee.

Cheers

Neil

5. DayRunner

DayRunner Barefooters
    1. Australia
    2. United Kingdom

Murls I think you need to run a bit faster... Your defiance of gravity however is amazing ;)

Seriously though it looks generally fine to my unqualified eye. Not sure if it's the slo-mo but there seems to be a bit of vertical movement (just watching the top of the head) that might be linked to Neil's comment about the straightness in the knee (less elastic stored energy in the flex means more of a "push off" is needed).

More to the point are you experiencing any issues/limitations you are trying to overcome?

6. BFwillie_g

BFwillie_g Barefooters
    1. New York
    2. Germany &...

I agree, there's quite a bit of vertical motion going on there.

Murls - write a bit more about your running experience, and also about the paces you're running in your vids. What kind of shoes have you worn in the past?

7. murls

murls Barefooters
    1. Australia

thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback. I agree I do feel when I run that I have some vertical motion and my leg is too straight on landing. I do feel like I am pushing off. I was running at slow but even pace, about (6-7km/h).

I will have to go back and cut up the video and mix in the actual pace I was running. I notice that the blisters I get are mostly just below my toes indicating that I am indeed pushing off. Before I switched to barefoot I had sports doctor do some video analysis which showed me pronating really badly in my right foot. Much worse than I had even suspected. He told me to go buy Brooks Adrenaline. Because I have an abnormal bend in my right lower leg I have always chosen control shoes. Brooks Beast where the best I ever ran in. Anyway, to cut a long story I chose to take my shoes off instead and learn to run again.

I have been an on and off again runner my whole life. Run in cross country as a kid and lots of fun runs. Due to injuries in last ten years I have not done too much but feel like I am getting somewhere now. Just entered the Bay to Bay half in June which I am hoping to do barefoot.

BFwillie_g likes this.
  8. Tanman

Tanman Barefooters
    1. Australia

Hi Murls, You've received some really good comments especially bending the legs....it is absolutely the best shock absorber...one thing I notice about your posture is that I reckon you dip your neck forward slightly. My daugther also stoops her head forward slightly..basically your ears shouldn't be over your chest but over the shoulder blades and the whole frame be much more upright....one way is to bring your chin towards your chest..have a look at this notice how straight his back and neck is.... this is a very basic clip however...the fundamentals don't change...hope it helps...try some of those excercises they are quite difficult to do plus also he like doing a squat test...that helps with flexiblity

9. murls

murls Barefooters
    1. Australia

Thanks. I will take my camera to the gym next time I go and jump the treadmill and get some footage. This sure is an interesting and fun journey!

Spiderweb62 likes this.
  10. Tanman

Tanman Barefooters
    1. Australia

11. Tanman

Tanman Barefooters
    1. Australia

This is a great one by Chris Mccdougall

murls likes this.
  12. Neil_D

1. Australia
    2. Presidents

Hi Murls,
    I had some of the Brooks Beast shoes years ago and the name fitted the shoe, they were a beast of a thing to wear. When I ran in them, along with my orthotics I felt exhausted by the time I got back, and my hips felt like they were coming apart. They never sorted out my shin pains either. Only learning to run correctly helps in the end.

Neil

BFwillie_g likes this.
  13. BFwillie_g

BFwillie_g Barefooters
    1. New York
    2. Germany &...

+1

Shin splints were my major foe for years, no, decades. And during that time, I always defaulted to the advice from the 'experts' in the sporting goods stores and running magazines, always tried new devices to combat the problem. Different shoes, different insoles, compression this and compression that, all of it crap, all of it nothing but bs thought up by the product management dept of one company or another.

FINALLY, I met a real coach who worked with me, got my form sorted out, got me into neutral shoes, and then into racing flats, and I haven't had a classic runner's syndrome since. And Barefooting has only enhanced the experience :D

14. murls

murls Barefooters
    1. Australia

that was awesome. I read the book and loved it.

15. Neil_D

1. Australia
    2. Presidents

Hi Willie,
    Isn't it amazing how much misinformation is out there. I'm interested in the reason it's there, is it just due to ignorance or more to promote some product without the writer disclosing their 'interest' in the product.
    I watch with interest the "trendy' types that buy the latest runners to look cool, at the gym I got to it seems Nike Free is the cool shoe favoured by the trainers while I wear my $5 rubber soled beach shoes. My old pair lasted around 3 years before falling apart.

Neil

murls likes this.
  16. Tanman

Tanman Barefooters
    1. Australia

@murls Yeah glad you enjoed it... "Born To Run" was a great and fun to read...