VFFer To Real Barefoot Runner

Go_Blue

Chapter Presidents
Oct 19, 2010
Good evening barefoot runners! :)

I figured I'd post my introduction. A quick background: hack runner who struggled through most of 2009 with starting up a running regimen. I applied to the military and got accepted in to one of the officer training programs, so I knew that running would be in my future. I only wanted to get comfortable with it, do perhaps a 5k, but certainly nothing astronomical. I've always been in good shape physically, but never been much of a runner. But even on a conservative program like Couch-2-5k, I was crippled with shin splints (something I had battled since high school). I went to a LRS and ended up buying a fancy pair of running shoes, which I was convinced would solve my problems. No dice. Still extremely crippled over even short distances. I got desperate. And eventually I found the barefoot and minimalist running movements and took note. After getting over my initial shock of VFFs, I decided to give them a try since I was at the end of my rope.

Add me to the growing list of people who wish they had gone BF instead of trying VFFs first. I completely avoided BF initially because I thought it was insane. I didn't see the point in skin to ground contact, and if anything, thought it was potentially dangerous. So I eventually got some VFFs and struggled for months and months finding workable running form. Running in VFFs was far better than running in trainers for sure, but I pretty much hit a wall at the 3 mile mark. It seemed to have taken me forever to work up to that distance, and much over that stressed my feet.

Several months ago, I ended up ditching the VFFs for running (still love them for walking around and when footwear is required) and went to a pair of racing flats instead. I'm entering the military very soon, and needed more "conventional" running footwear for training, so I decided to get in the flats early to get used to them. But when I did that, I also started playing around with BFR to keep my form fresh. Much to my surprise, I loved it! I loved the feeling of the ground and how that feedback affected my form right away. My body instantly knew what to do, and immediately my whole perspective on running changed. I wanted to go out and run now, it wasn't some chore I had to accomplish.

Gradually the distances I ran barefoot increased. Initially, I did short stints barefoot at the end of my runs (the majority was done in my flats), then I started splitting my easy three mile runs between the two. Eventually, and just because I was feeling good that day, I did the majority of one run barefoot much to the chagrin of the local traffic. It seemed that once I went over two miles barefoot, that my form dialed in and I was good to go. I went three miles barefoot a few times, then edged up to four. Held at four, then finally edged up to almost five. Today I did five miles, completely barefoot, and completely happy. It's a great milestone for me, because this time a year ago, I could not even fathom going five miles, or even wanting to try. I was struggling so badly to do a mile and a half, but today the five miles was fun and almost effortless.

I'm not fast barefoot. If I have to run for time, then I put on my racing flats and go. But if I just want to go out for a jog and don't care how fast or how far I go, then I am certainly barefoot. I just find it so fascinating that someone like myself, who once thought it impossible to run comfortably, and was recommended for orthotics, could make a transition to barefoot running and be successful. The body is an incredible machine. I was a student of anatomy and physiology in high school and college, so how the body operates is a captivating subject for me. My barefoot runs are interesting, because as I go along, I can't help but wonder at how well it all works. I find that when I start to tire, that I just have to step back mentally and remember that I was out there running on CONCRETE, barefoot (something that non-BFR's say is impossible), and was totally fine. Then I don't feel nearly as tired because it just seems like a small miracle for me.

My running goals are simple: for the next several months I won't be running barefoot due to my military training. But once I'm back in the "real world," I look forward to resuming my barefoot running on my own time. I think I want to try for a barefoot 10k next year for fun. After that, who knows. No real plans on the racing front. I figure I'll just treat it like I treat my fun runs: step out and see how it goes.

So that's my intro and my novel. Kudos to anyone who stuck with it! :)

Cool story, this part is so

Cool story, this part is so true.

"My barefoot runs are interesting, because as I go along, I can't help but wonder at how well it all works. "

Isnt the concrete great? I

Isnt the concrete great? I watch the other runners running their little paths in the grass because the paved path is murder with shoes on, while I happily tool along barefoot or in craptastic holey water shoes, with feet happy as can be.

Welcome, Go Blue!  Many

Welcome, Go Blue! Many congrats are in order for you - your acceptance to military officer's traning, your future as an officer, your finding a form of running that is enjoyable to you, and your being able to run again! Thank you for your service!

Welcome from another old

Welcome from another old soldier. My experience has been similar to yours; after running for the Army and then for myself for 25 years, I've worn out too much joint cartilege to run traditionally anymore. The BFR dials my form in correctly every time now that I'm getting experienced with it (along with excellent advice and coaching from many on this site). I love my VFFs, and when I want to get in a good heart-pounding fast run, I turn to them every time. I'm still learning to speed up my true BFR, but I'm going slow and easy, gradually building up to it.

Always take care of your soldiers, even when that's painful for them. Stay Alert, Stay Alive!

Congrats & thanks for your

Congrats & thanks for your service to our country. I'm also a former Army guy so absolutely respect/appreciate what your future has in store for you.

I'd say I'm a convert to the minimalist approach. Converted to the VFF's about a year ago, run between 13-15 miles per day in them, have completed numerous half's, several full marathons, and will actually do my first Ultra this coming weekend in them. Now as for compete BFR, I'm getting there. A few weeks ago 23 miles into a marathon I pulled off my VFF's for the first time during a race due to a "hot spot", finished the race completely BF. I'm not 100% ready to "go the distance" without my VFF's, feet are still a little to soft, but some day I hope to.. One day, and a few hundred miles down the road you may see me pass completely BF, but that certainly ain't today.

Be safe, and run hard!

Larry

Welcome again, Larry/Adam,

Welcome again, Larry/Adam, and thank you for your past service to our country. Current or prior, it's all appreciated and respected by me.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test