Very Sweet Victory for BFLifestyler Outdoorsters

Longboard

Chapter Presidents
May 13, 2010
Reactions: Bare Lee
This reinforces an idea I have been rolling around in my head. I have been thinking about starting a website (that would hopefully get a stomp of approval :) ) that would allow users to leave reviews for retailers based on how barefoot friendly they are. Google allows you to tie into their "places" database, so it would be easy to establish a list of places. Eventually it would be neat to get physical "Stomp of Approval" type stickers in the windows of barefoot friendly establishments.

Now I just need to find the motivation and time to create such a site.....

Reactions: scedastic
Mark,
The SBL had a program called "Bare feet OK", which included a database and door stickers for the retailer/restaurateur way back in the early '90's.
It disapeared mostly because the small mom & pops that agreed to the sticker and listing meant nothing to most people in the international web based group.
WalMart's corporate policy is to leave the shoe rule up to the individual store manager, and Kroger of Michigan which is barefoot friendly at the corporate level does not represent the policies of other state's stores.
It's so hit and miss that it's a difficult project, but it's worth another try!

I was hoping with the resurgence in popularity of bare feet in general, a program like this could be more successful as business owners could see it as a competitive edge. Plus, as Dr. Howell proved, a letter can go a long way towards changing/creating company policy.

Very cool. I've been visiting my local REI stores barefoot for the last few years and they've always been happy to have me there. The same is also true for one of my local (NC) outdoor retailers - The Great Outdoor Provision Company.

Glad to hear that REI is on board at the corporate level. It never even occurred to me that other locations would ever have an issue with barefooters.

Peace,
Karen

That's great! Is the REI in your picture the one in Santa Fe? I have family in NM and last time I visited they took me there. It's a good thing there are no REI's by me - I'd need a second job to pay for all the stuff I want! LOL

Finally! I wonder if they have updated their store policy and distributed it to their stores telling their managers and staff to leave barefooters alone.

Man that is awesome. Unfortunately there are no REI stores in my area, closest one is 200 miles away. :(

Now if Bass Pro Shops (currently renovating the Memphis Pyramid to put a huge store in there) would do something like this, I would be all over it!

I succesfully challenged Bass Pro in Islamorada FL as well as at Great Lakes Crossing Mall Aubourn Hills Michigan. In both cases I was told that I had to leave, but following up with the manager granted apologies.
Nothing as awesome as the corporate level REI decision, but it shows that standing up for putting your bare foot down does often times result in a positive outcome.

We just have to keep working at it and plugging away little-by-little.

I succesfully challenged Bass Pro in Islamorada FL as well as at Great Lakes Crossing Mall Aubourn Hills Michigan. In both cases I was told that I had to leave, but following up with the manager granted apologies.
Nothing as awesome as the corporate level REI decision, but it shows that standing up for putting your bare foot down does often times result in a positive outcome.

Did you leave and then call the store later to speak with the manager, or try to speak with him/her there in the store, or put on footwear and then come back in to speak with the manager?

This is cool....
Where I live in Michigan we have a place called Playmakers. Its a big running store (mostly shoes) and they support runners and hold races all around the area.
Last time I was barefoot inside their store I received comments from employees like "I see you have the most comfortable pare of shoes in our store on right now" lol
They were great.....its a good sign to see these places becoming more open and aware!

So I can confirm that the Bridgeport REI in Oregon does not care if we are barefoot while shopping. When I asked them, while barefoot mind you, they replied with "We want to sell you gear so what does it matter if you have shoes on or not?" They also told me that they had not heard of any new ruling on being barefoot and actually seemed surprised I would even ask about it. They said they may not let someone climb on the rock wall barefoot, but just to shop there is no reason why they would care. Win for us Oregon barefooters!

Did you leave and then call the store later to speak with the manager, or try to speak with him/her there in the store, or put on footwear and then come back in to speak with the manager?

Islamorada I challenged on the spot but lost, follow-up w/ REAL manager was succesful.
MI was at the time of attempted tossing, ended up being an easy win for me.

Oh man, the little mom and pop place where we do a lot of 'we're out of such-and-such' shopping, and which has a great butcher, just posted an noSSS sign, 'for insurance.' I used to stop there on the way back from a barefoot run to pick something up. A month or more ago one of the clerks told me not to come back without shoes, but I've been blowing that edict off when he's not there. Now looks like I have to bring sandals along with me. I may have to become a little more activist and try to talk to the owners, who are both really nice guys, but the owner I see around the shop the most is really overweight and may not be too receptive to the BF message. Give me strength comrades, as I march feebly into battle and propose I sign a waiver form.

Reactions: NickW