very informative video by Mark Cucuzella

Dave, your link is good. Interesting video by the way.

Yeah, I caught it over on BRU yesterday. Apparently the universe aligned or something because our slow internet actually loaded the whole video. I had to watch it in three segments over 20 minutes, but who's counting? :) I agree with Mats over on the huarache group, Mark has beautiful form to watch. It is really smooth which makes if kind of inspiring.

Does this video work for the masses though? I know that Jason has been talking about simplifying the means of sharing the message or educating the massages. This video by Cucuzella seems to be for the early adopters and those really into body mechanics more than the majority of people. What do you think?

Inspiring is the right word for watching Dr. Mark C.' s form. He makes it look elegant and easy.
Love his slow running is 8min/mile. That's warp drive for me.

I'm thinking it's a great introductory video without getting too technical.

You can't really get into BF or minimalist running without paying attention to the biomechanics of it all. Those that are not interested in that aspect are probably those that will not stick at it long enough to make the change, but will find that something hurts sothey give up without trying to figure out why.

Have you ever seen the end of A Clockwork Orange where the protagonist is made to watch videos with his eyes held open? We should do that here!

And I agree, Mark has great form, looks really smooth while he's running, even at what for me would be a very fast pace. I was quite surprised how flat his foot appeared to be when landing though. The video may be disguising it, but he appeared to be landing almost flat, but with a degree of pronation, no obvious forefoot landing.

I'm thinking it's a great introductory video without getting too technical.

You can't really get into BF or minimalist running without paying attention to the biomechanics of it all. Those that are not interested in that aspect are probably those that will not stick at it long enough to make the change, but will find that something hurts sothey give up without trying to figure out why.

Have you ever seen the end of A Clockwork Orange where the protagonist is made to watch videos with his eyes held open? We should do that here!

And I agree, Mark has great form, looks really smooth while he's running, even at what for me would be a very fast pace. I was quite surprised how flat his foot appeared to be when landing though. The video may be disguising it, but he appeared to be landing almost flat, but with a degree of pronation, no obvious forefoot landing.

so glad someone else said something - i was literally wincing when he landed. it LOOKS really flat, but whos to say thats not how my foot looks when i land, even though it feels like my forefoot lands eons before my heel kisses the ground? flat footed aside i think its a great video, i passed it along via my FB

It is a great video. Probably the best video I have seen so far that doesn't make barefoot running, which is the simplistic forms of exercise to do, so complicated with all the unnecessary bells and whistles. I had the pleasure to run with Mark during last years NYC Barefoot Convention, he is very smooth and fluid.

ElyDave, I land flat foot as well (it's the same as forefoot). It's just very deceiving with videos, if there is a way to watch it in slow motion, you would actually see his heel land last, that is a sign of perfect form.

It's just very deceiving with videos, if there is a way to watch it in slow motion, you would actually see his heel land last, that is a sign of perfect form.

I remember Ken-Bob mentioning that in his book. In fact, if memory serves me he was surprised to find that he wasn't a forefoot, toes then heel lander but actually a forefoot, heel then toe lander. Nevertheless, things would have be slowed down on a camera with a high number of frames a second to see it on anyone.

I think the whole landing thing can be over-analysed. I've not seen slow motion video of my stride but I believe that my heel is just touching down as the fat pads under my met heads are becoming fully compressed - but at 3 plus footfalls per second I prefer to be aware solely that I'm moving fluidly and not hurting at all.

I agree with DNEchris. I ran barefoot for several years 20 years ago, no problem. Then I took it up again in 2010, and read somewhere online that landing on your forefoot is key. Result: exaggerated form and tiny stress fracture. Now I land as I please, which is a midfoot strike. That works fine for me.

He is wicked fast, as one has to be to win fairly major marathons. His running style reminds me of some I've seen on skinny little Ethiopian guys who win the major marathons.

I don't know if I will ever get to the point where my feet will be kicking so high up toward my butt, but it's something to have in mind as I work on my form. I think it's an artifact of his velocity.

Nice emphasis throughout on achieving a good 'loading of the spring'. Sometimes I get that 'just springing along' feeling but not always. So the checklist is a good reference to work through when things seem a little more effort. I think the landing is deliberately de-emphasised since 'forefoot' is often taken as a panacea of itself rather than a part of correct technique. I follow Gordon Pirie and aim for the 'outside of the ball of the foot' - and just took a look at sole wear which I'm happy to see pretty much matches that - but no doubt that's just one part of technique and not the most crucial bit.

thank you all for viewing and comments. i addressed some of the questions on my reply to runblogger
http://www.runblogger.com/2012/03/running-form-video-principles-of.html
remember this is about "principles" and one applies what they learn and feel to their own body and speed. we are showing this at 2 scientific conferecnes thus the level of detail. i do feel the regular runner does want to understand it and not just be told a method. your feet are your teachers as Ken Bob says.
Mark

Thanks for taking the time to read this Mark. Hopefully there'll be more like it as it was very useful.

Very useful video. He emphasizes hip extension as the active part of stride, where the hip going back is the "power stroke" and the leg coming forward is the "recovery stroke." I used that as a mental cue while running last night, and found it very useful. It was a subtle difference, but I felt much springier, hopefully I'm getting that elastic recoil that he mentions.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test