UPDATE on my health woes...

Thanks, Low.  That was so

Thanks, Low. That was so much appreciated and that you remembered me too.

Yes, I do feel like I will never get better, and I am so sad about it. But I have to have hope. That's what all the hell over the past two years have been about, my trying new things "hoping" they would work for me, so I could continue to run. I just want to run.

How are you doing now, TJ?

How are you doing now, TJ? I'm sure it takes some time to get the meds out of your system....

Thank you for thinking of me

Thank you for thinking of me and asking. I think I've turned a corner, more than just slightly. (I almost don't want to say anything because I will just jinx myself.) The pain has diminished although it is still present. At least I don't feel like I am tearing tendons and fascias with every step. It's been a whole week today, since I stopped taking the antibiotics and started taking the probiotics, etc., and 6 days since I started taking the anti-inflammatories (both pill and gel). I can even tell the Volatren Gel works immediately when I apply it to a spot. It pretty much worked that way from the beginning. The pill form, I've read, takes a long time to get in the system, and I don't know if that's hours or days after taking it. I had an MRI on both feet yesterday to find out if there has been any tearing or rupturing (as well as check on the neuromas for future use), but I won't know the results until November 1. Let's hope that it's just extreme inflammation, and I will be back to "my normal" in no time. If I've experienced tearing, it could take months before I am back to "my normal."

I am so convinced that I had some sort of allergic reaction to the antibiotics. I can't thank J. enough for giving me the insight to question myself.

Hey TJ... I really do hope

Hey TJ... I really do hope your on the mend once and for all.

Have you been able to cross train any?

I've heard that deep water running is supposed to be a good for maintaining running fitness when weight bearing is not an option. Anyway... just thought I'd mention it.

Best of luck. :)

S. Pimp.

That's all such good news,

That's all such good news, TJ! Really hoping the news gets better and better. Be sure to update us on the 1st when you get your results.

TJ, have you been able to

TJ, have you been able to maintain cardio fitness in any way even if it does'nt translate to running?

Thank you all, and thank you

Thank you all, and thank you for the suggestions. There's a few reasons why I haven't crossed trained, and here they are: Every step I took caused such great pain, and although the pain has diminished, it is still very painful to walk, and although I can walk a little further now, I still cannot stay on my feet long enough to get anywhere, that is walking through parking lots to get to a facility or swim; after reading everything I have about tendon tears from extreme inflammation, I've sworn off doing any kind of excercise, since the risk of getting injured isn't worth it; and it's too damn cold to go swimming outside, and I don't have a gym membership to swim inside. Hee.

TJ,The Voltaren Gel is great

TJ,

The Voltaren Gel is great stuff. Here is an online coupon that may save you some money on a refill if your script is over $30. The coupon will knock it down to $30. (http://www.voltarengel.com/consumer/default.aspx)

The pill form of Voltaren (diclofenac) takes about 2 hours to reach peak blood concentration and the non-generic extended release pill form (Voltaren XR) takes about 5 hours.

Take the pill form for the shortest time you need it, it suppresses production of the natural protective mucous layer in your stomach. All NSAIDS do this to varying degrees. Some people have immediate stomach irritation, while others can take it for extended periods. The gel has very low systemic absorption so it is much less likely to cause stomach irritation.

There is a new Rx topical diclofenac called Pennsaid. It is liquid and is about 50% stronger than the Voltaren gel and still has a systemic low absorption. It is approved for OA of the knee so I would think it penetrates locally pretty well. I have no clue how it compares in cost to the gel. You might want to talk to your doc about it, but I think if the gel is working I'd stick with it.

David

Hey TJ - just want to send

Hey TJ - just want to send you some good healing Qi from across the waves... doesn't matter if you understand what that means, it'll find its way to you just the same :D

Thanks, Willie!  You're

Thanks, Willie! You're sweet. I think I felt that hit me about a half an hour ago or so. Like a whoosh come over me. ;-)

Thanks, David! I'll keep that in mind about the liquid. How do you apply that to the skin? The pill form can cause stomach bleeding. NSAIDs don't normally mess with my stomach, but this stuff, after reading the warnings, sounds scarey. I guess they all do though. I paid about $39 just for the gel. It's a very big tube though, so I hope it will last me through this. If not, I will have your coupon to go to, if it hasn't expired by then. I need to put a little mini-David in my pocket for times like this. Have all my answers ready to go. I already have my mini-Board in my pocket, so it might get a little crowded, but at least you two will have company. :)

This morning, my feets felt like they did a few days ago. Makes no sense, since I didn't do anything to make them worse.

I've been wondering how

I've been wondering how things were going TJ, hope things continue to look up for you!

I saw the doctor for the

I saw the doctor for the results of my MRIs today. She said, "Unfortunately...we don't see anything wrong in your MRIs." I'm like, "Unfortunately?! That's what I have been hoping for!" She said she thinks I may have had an allergic reaction to the antibiotics, which has cause some serious inflammation in my tendons and fascia. She thinks this could also explain why I have been having (more and more lately) great pain in my left arm (now from the wrist all the way up to the elbow). Wearing the wrist splint I have from when I had carpal tunnel while I was pregnant also makes the condition worse.

When I went to see her two weeks ago today, I would rate my pain as a 10 on a scale of 1 - 10. Today, I would rate it as a 7 (if I am on my feet for several minutes; I'm not willing to push it beyond that) or a 5 if I am only walking for a short distance. I truly believe the reason why I am experiencing relief is because I immediately stopped taking the anitbiotics when I read those articles, and started immediately taking the anti-inflammatores and probiotics (and possibly the liver detox and tendon rebuilder).

Since nothing has been torn or ruptured, it will take just weeks instead of months to heal. Thank God! I am looking forward to running through the winter. And I WILL enjoy the frost on my toes!

Thanks for all your support through this very frightening time.

TJ, that is good news, but

TJ, that is good news, but not great news :(. Please do not deep water run with soft tissue injuries. The resistance can make it worse (I speak from experience, and as someone who seriously injured herself purely through deep water running).

Wow, J!  You are full of good

Wow, J! You are full of good advice. I was not going to consider deep water swimming, since it's too cold here, and I don't have a membership to a gym with a pool anyway, but that's good to know.

Glad you're on the mend TJ.I

Glad you're on the mend TJ.

I think I mentioned deep water running to you. If J. is right about the threat of soft tissue thing then I am glad she set me straight. My research on deep water running was centered around recovery for stress fractures. Anyway... I didn't mean to give bad advice. Thanks J.

S. Pimp.

Wow TJ, what a roller coaster

Wow TJ, what a roller coaster you've been on. I so hope that things continue to look up for you Mama, we are all rooting for you and can't wait until the day we all meet up and can run with you (or well, I am at least :p)

I wish I had some good resources for your regarding rebuilding tendons, maybe continue to get in good anti-inflamatory foods (don't forget about our friend chia).

I'm glad you're on the mend,

I'm glad you're on the mend, TJ! By a normal MRI, does that mean that the Morton's Neuromas are gone? That would be awesome! (Or are they not visible on the MRI?)

Are you on rx anti inflammatories right now? I know that there is debate about those, and for good reason, but when I've had persistent injuries that would.not.go.away, a two-week course of mega-ibuprofen set me straight. There's a real reason for that - inflammation is very non-specific, and once triggered, it's hard to shut off. The cells that cause inflammation start a chain reaction in which, very often, they are just reacting to the amped up inflammation cells around them, and they keep telling one another to "inflame" things. Sort of like a screaming match.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7