Barefooters
Apr 3, 2012
Reviewed by: buzzie
Date Product Reviewed: 10/27/2011
Product Type: Footwear

picture-630.png

2012-04-07_004821.png

This review is taken from my blog: runwhatmay.com - Wokova Feather Review

Last year, I tried making my own huaraches using the typical 4mm Vibram Cherry and some nylon cord. And, although they turned out well, I just wasn't happy with the strap between my toes, the knot, and the fussy lacing - even after trying several methods and eventually, the no-toe-strap mod suggested by one crafty person. I considered pre-fab alternatives, but was fairly well convinced that all would leave me similarly disappointed.

So, this past spring I was thrilled to see a new shoe in the works by Terral Fox at Unshoes Minimal Footwear - a no-toe-strap huarache called the Pah Tempe. As the wait for the perfected-design began to stretch toward summer, I noticed that Unshoes had released a new version of their original shoe - this one, the Wokova Feather. Desperate for a great minimal summer sandal (not a flip-flop!), I ordered a pair and snail-mailed tracings of my feet to Terral...

The Wokova Feather is an ultra-light, super-flexible version of the Wokova. Instead of traditional huarache cord, it uses a unique quick-adjust strap combined with an elastic loop to allow fast, set-it-and-forget-it slip-on access and comfort & security throughout a range of activities (thanks to the elastic).

Even though I've typically found myself annoyed by the toe straps on huaraches and flip-flops, I have to say that it's NEVER been an issue for me with these shoes. I worried that the strap might be even more annoying than a round cord - perhaps "cutting" between my toes - but, no. Even when I tried running in them, the strap went unnoticed.

The sole of the Feather is 5mm Vibram Newflex - much softer and more rubbery than Vibram Cherry, with traction ribs on the outsole and a velvety finish on the insole. And, the sole - by the way - is yet another area where Unshoes has introduced innovation. Somehow, they've found a way to eliminate the between-the-toe knot! Well, technically, it's still there, but they've managed to recess it into the soling - thin as it is - resulting in a smooth, flat surface under foot.

WokovaFeather-Sole_20111013-600-224x300.png

Recessed Strap (on a sole with several months of wear!)

Frankly, between the strap system and the recessed knot, these aren't just Unshoes, they're unhuaraches!

I've been wearing these shoes for the past 3+ months and they're still going strong. One concern might be the softness of the Newflex sole - I suspect it may not be as durable as Cherry, but I can't say... I'm not an huarache runner. I've tried - but I've always wound up with hotspots from the friction of my bare feet and the rubber soles. (Yeah - it's undoubtedly a form issue [even though I don't have this problem running barefoot]. And, I'm just not interested in spending my time working on huarache form - I have enough other interests and issues!) All I can tell you is these shoes have held up fabulously to daily wear around town and should be good for many years to come.

WokovaFeather-Feet_20111013-600-224x300.png

Ready for Fall?

Now, I'm trying to figure out if I can wear them through the fall and winter... what do you think?

Bottom Line
The Unshoes Wokova Feather is my go-to summer-time shoe whenever I can't be bare and another type of shoe isn't required... They make my feet smile!

Makes Me Happy
  • Easy on-off and adjustability
  • Velvety soft soles with no annoying plasticky feel or sound when walking
  • Recessed toe knot
  • No saggy, flopping sole - the whole shoe just hovers around my foot, matching every movement
Not So Much
  • Brings out the clutz in me when walking on carpeted surfaces
PS - the Pah Tempe (no-toe-strap design) has become available from Unshoes. (I haven't tried them yet because I'm just so happy with the Wokova Feathers!)