Undergraduate Senior Research Project

Discussion in 'Studies & Articles about Studies' started by Scott Nesland, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Scott Nesland

Scott Nesland
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

Barefoot Running Community:

Greetings! My name is Scott Nesland and I am a Biology (B.S.) undergraduate student at Alderson Broaddus University located in Philippi, WV. I am conducting research for my senior research symposium this fall. The study is entitled "Impact Force and Foot Strike Method Contributions to Instances of Overuse Injuries in Shod Running versus Barefoot Running among Collegiate-aged Distance Runners." The title may seem lengthy, but I am basically just evaluating prevalence of overuse injuries among barefoot, minimalist, and traditional shod runners. What I am asking of you fellow runners is to complete my brief survey (about 10 questions) to contribute to my research. As you all may know, finding barefoot research participants in my area can be a troublesome task, so any responses from you would be greatly appreciated and would serve as a vital part of my research. If you have any questions or concerns about the nature of this study, you can email me at neslandsa@battlers.ab.edu. I have included a link to the survey below:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/D6BH9TW

Once again thank you for your time and consideration!
    Scott Nesland

trevize1138 likes this.
  2. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    1. Test Chapter
    2. Nomad
    3. Hidden...
    4. Hidden...

Welcome, Scott. Just wondering... Why this particular study? Are you a barefoot [or shod] runner? What is your experience with running?

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  3. trevize1138

trevize1138
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Minnesota

Just took the survey. Best of luck with your project! I added a note about the last item not including "mid-foot strike" as an option. Also, your age brackets are pretty limited, I chose the last one because I'm 44 but if I remember that's the 23yo+ option :)

Is there a reason you're only asking about the last few years of a runner's history? I switched to minimalist 5 years ago after decades of padded, structured shoes and the difference for me is very dramatic. Of course, that may be out of the scope of your project.