TX/Frisco - Get Healthy Texas 5K Frisco, TX

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by Jonny00GT, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Jonny00GT

Jonny00GT Chapter Presidents
    1. Texas - Dallas
    2. Florida -...
    3. Presidents

Date: Sat 01/21/12 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM CST
    Link: Link to register

This will be my friend's first 5k, so my wife and I will run it to support her.

Channel 11, Channel 21, Dallas Athletes Racing and the city of Frisco have teamed up for the Get Healthy Texas 5K. All ages are encouraged to participate. Each runner will receive a race shirt and a finishers medal. This event is part of CBS 11 & Channel 21, Get Healthy Texas 2012 Kickoff!

Each participant receives an event t-shirt and finisher’s medal!

Race starts at 7:30am.

Any barefooters or minimalist folks who want to come run with me, post up. I'll probably wear some socks till the start, but we'll see how cold it is...

2. tonic

tonic Guest

Is it BF-friendly? Or just a 5K that you have interest in? The price is certainly right, though I agree with you about wearing socks!!

3. Jonny00GT

1. Texas - Dallas
    2. Florida -...
    3. Presidents

I don't think it's barefoot unfriendly. It's probably going to be flat since it's geared towards new runners...I may be assuming much. It's always worked out for me in the past though! Haha!

4. p.maggiani

p.maggiani Barefooters
    1. Texas - Dallas

Nothing starting 7:30 am in the middle of January can be barefoot-friendly!

What's with race directors? Why not move the start times to, let's say, 10 am, when the weather is better?

5. tonic

tonic Guest

Okay, if it's not specifically geared to welcoming BFers, then that makes my decision. Didn't see anything like that on the site, which is why I asked. Thanks.

6. degenxr1

degenxr1 Barefooters
    1. Oklahoma

especially if they have cops or safety officials--I have sponsored a lot of those through my Fraternity days and we had to go with the local ordinances:) They are not just being weirdos:)

BR

7. Jonny00GT

1. Texas - Dallas
    2. Florida -...
    3. Presidents

8. Jimmy Hart

Jimmy Hart Barefooters
    1. Arizona -...
    2. Texas - Dallas
    3. International

they've done barefoot running demos at the fieldhouse before so i cannot imagine the race directors not letting people run bare. it's hit a point where pretty much any race will welcome a barefoot runner without much fuss. now if you mean "is the course easy on barefeet?" that one i couldn't tell you

9. tonic

tonic Guest

By "BF-friendly" I mean a race where BFers will be welcomed and ideally be an expected part of the scenery. Not a race where BFers will be verbally harrassed with every step they take through the entire course. Or maybe that's just a problem I encounter. At any rate, if it's not BF-friendly, I'm not going to subject myself to it. Thanks for the input and checking in on the race.

10. Jonny00GT

1. Texas - Dallas
    2. Florida -...
    3. Presidents

Girl, just run it with me...no one will say @%$#$ to you!

I can count the negative comments I've gotten on 3 fingers! We gotta get you some posative race experiences! I hate to think you avoid races cause people have been rude to you! You're such a sweetheart!

Also, this race appears to be geared towards first time racers or folks just trying to get in shape. I'm expecting a lot of acceptance.

Whatever you decide, it's cool. Let me know if you decide to do it and we'll meet up, carpool, or whatever. My wife will be running it with her first time racing friend and I can't run that slow in the cold, so alone or with friends, I'll be there.

-Jonny

11. tonic

tonic Guest

Jonny, you're so sweet!

That is actually THE reason I don't race more or participate in running-related stuff. If there's going to be several BFers there, I'm in.

12. Jimmy Hart

Jimmy Hart Barefooters
    1. Arizona -...
    2. Texas - Dallas
    3. International

Just carry some shoes with you and when someone says something negative throw the shoes at them. I have no idea what it says or proves but I think it would be fun.

13. tonic

tonic Guest

Jimmy -- best idea EVER!!!