Twisted Ankle Recovery

BareFootBC

Barefooters
Feb 6, 2019
SouthEast British Columbia
Within a couple of days of joining BarefootRunners earlier this year I had a severe mishap XC skiing (icy snow, long downhill stretch, no room to turn...) that resulted in a badly twisted left ankle and moderately twisted on the right. When I hobbled out I was firmly convinced I had a break but luckily that wasn’t the case.

A week after that I went on a previously booked warm-weather vacation (a welcome departure from B.C. cold at that time). During the vacation I was able to get about barefoot albeit slowly. Walking in the sand and white clay/mud made being on the feet kinda tolerable.

My recovery has been quicker than expected. I believe a strong part of that recovery is due to the exercises I saw posted by Gordon in the thread ‘Really, really new to barefoot running’. With his encouragement I’m reposting that link.

https://gmb.io/feet/

I practice it about 3 times a week. It takes me about 30 minutes each session(I’ve been adding sets and reps weekly). It’s been intriguing to discover the locations of the different muscles, tendons, etc. that are involved in foot movement. In addition to regaining (and improving) flexibility and strength I’m noticing more control of individual toes- kinda cool to experience.

Last week I was able to run again (wearing 5-Toe shoes, still a bit wintery here). I was able to lope along for an hour (covered 6 miles) with no pain or strain despite my conditioning having suffered since my mishap. I’m convinced that the exercises as well as adopting a minimalist and barefoot lifestyle made for a quicker recovery period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you imagine how difficult it is for someone to recover from injuries like yours having weak, soft feet and ankles? I'm sure it would have taken them longer and felt more painful. I wish everyone knew this "secret."

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test