twinkletoes Thoma in northern Nevada

twinkletoes

Barefooters
Sep 14, 2010
Hi Everyone,

I'm Thoma (pronounced "toe-muh") and I live in Reno. People automatically assume it's like Vegas, but we're really lucky that it's not (no offense LV), we're definitely high-desert: very dry whether hot or cold; and trails are abundant throughout the area, though I haven't been brave enough yet to try trails without shoes.

Like others, I slid into BF running sideways, kind of accidentally, because of injury and fascination.

I started running when I was 13 as a way to escape as it gave me private, quiet space- it is still my happy place, though the recurring shin splints etc. were a constant drain on my running peace and I was often sidelined for one thing or another. Had bunion surgery in 2008, was fitted for orthotics and told my biomechanics were all messed up, and started over again. Finally did my first half-marathon in May 2010, then ramped up my MPW a bit in June to include some speedwork ahead of the next half marathon in September. Bam, shin splints again.

Not sure how, but I ended up online reading about minimalist running and form change; I was fascinated and immediately went out and bought a pair of VFF Sprints & ran 4 1/2 miles that night. I couldn't walk the next day, but wasn't discouraged, especially after reading Born to Run and the seeds of hope for joyful, injury-less running, and BareFeet were planted. Finally, after a very painful July of tendonitis from too much too soon in the VFF and continuing to run 10 mi shod every Saturday, I decided that all the gushing barefooters knew something I didn't and I wanted to experience it. I ditched the orthotics first and bought a pair of cheap flats for the long trails, re-read Born to Run, and ditched shoes completely for the short mid-week runs. OMG how much fun and so here I am!

Do the trails!!! They're much

Do the trails!!! They're much more interesting than just road running, and I think that helps me to keep good form. Plus, I'm sure you'll run into some cool sand somewhere along the trail, even during a day theres probably some in a bit of shade, and cool sand feels amazing! Or, in the words of one of my friends, "It feels delicious!"

What nationality is the name Thoma, if I might ask?

Welcome, Twinkle!

Welcome, Twinkle!

Thanks everyone! This is

Thanks everyone!

This is such a great community- I'm not even on facebook, but I joined so I don't feel so singular since my running partner is still in her big cushy shoes...I already met up with two guys here for a barefoot run and can't wait to go again this week.

Danjo, I will try the trail this weekend I promise! My favorite run is up on a long ditch trail with widely varying terrain: flat hard clay, in places super rocky, grassy and/or hilly and you're so right, it's much more interesting.

Thoma is German- it's actually my last name but it became my first name some time in high school and it stuck.

Cool!  Are you running with

Cool! Are you running with Colin by chance?

Yes, I met him and Joe for a

Yes, I met him and Joe for a 2 mile loop at Scheels a few weeks ago. Totally cool guys.

I am debating meeting up with them again tonight, but it's an awful location for me to get to in rush hour.

I just need to organize a BF run at the park in my neighborhood!

That's great you guys are

That's great you guys are meeting up. Contact them to see if they wouldn't mind changing it up with you, you meet with them on "their turf," then they meet with you on "your turf."

Sind Sie Deutscherin (oder

Sind Sie Deutscherin (oder Oesterreicherin oder Schweizin)? Ich und meine Frau haben in Stuttgart-Moehringen fuer zwei und halb Jahre gewohnt, aber mein Schwaebisch (Wir haben kein gut Deutsch) ist sehr rostliche. Deutschland ist unser zweiter Heim. Wilkommen hier wieder!

Your English here on this site is better than mine, so you may well only be of Germanic descent. If you're not a native German speaker, nevermind. If you are, remember that I'm a very poor one.

No entiendo nada de aleman- I

No entiendo nada de aleman- I was born in Flagstaff! Yes, it's definitely descendant only as I'm a Spanish-speaking gringa.

My dad says our relatives came over to escape WWI and that's all I know.

TJ, you are absolutely right about my turf/their turf change up and I think they would be totally open to it- I'm just going to have to be spontaneous about it though since I have to wing my running days lately...

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test