Tunes till run too - are do we continue with the natural theme and just listen to the wind

chrisdonkey

Barefooters
Aug 26, 2011
Hello there.

What do the rest of you think of this? Stick an ipod in or listen to nature when running. Go for the laid back vibe of bird song and rustling trees or smash yer head in with some metallica? answers on a postcard...

No music for me, just a

No music for me, just a preference. I like to hear cars before they hit me.

I prefer no distractions from

I prefer no distractions from my run. There's enough music in nature, I don't need to carry any.

I want to hear nature when

I want to hear nature when it's there, and the traffic hazzards when it's not.

At races I want to hear the positive barefoot comments, as well as the normal uplifting cheers.

Besides, I hate the feel of pods in my ears almost as much as I hate the feel of shoes!

I like to listen to music,

I like to listen to music, but from the external speaker of my Iphone that is sitting in the stroller in front of me. I get the best of both worlds, natures music and my own, plus I hear all the traffic around me. I'm with Longboard as I can't stand headphones in my ears either. If I get a run without having to take my boy with me then I go no music because I don't like to carry the Iphone in hand. My clumsy butt would probably drop it and break it.

I prefer my car impacts to be

I prefer my car impacts to be a surprise.

I try to run with other folks, where a little conversation is nice. But when I can't, I do sometimes run with music for the dose of high energy and sometimes the message-based medidation (mostly Christian rock) it helps to provide. But when running on roads, I generally run with one earpiece in and one out. If I can run through the woods, which is rare for me, then probably no music. The trees and mountains are good enough.

music, nearly always. Even

music, nearly always. Even when running with people I have one in one ear. On the trails I have one ear bud in too so I can listen for mountain bikes. In the first 50k I did I only had it in for the last 20k when I needed the lift. The second one I didn't use it at all because I had someone running the whole way with me.

I live with my mp3 players attached me though. Between work and running I think I probably wear them 8 or 9 hours a day. Not having them in just feels weird.

The reason i asked is there

The reason i asked is there is a guy in work swears by not wearing them. He is of the opinion if your are going to run - run. If you are going to listen to music - listen to music. His point being, whatever you do, live an breath what you are doing at the time. Fully realise the moment. And i can see where he is coming from.

But then again... I love my music! And in todays busy world, running is one of the few times i can tune out and get to catch up on my latest tunes. Combining the two for me, is bliss sometimes. Just when you hit that nice spot, were running feels good - legs loose, breathing calm - and the break of one of your favourite songs is coming into your ears, its feels very peaceful. So for me, even though im combining two things, i dont feel like im compromising the moment. I still got the wind in my hair (ok im bald) i still got the beautiful irish country side in view, and ive still got the feeling that for the next 30 minutes, running is all that matters.

I'm torn on this one. I love

I'm torn on this one. I love lisening to my music but I would like to start running without it. One of my friends knows somebody who just passed away after being hit by a car while running and listening to music. This makes me think twice about listening to my ipod. Plus, I want to be closer to nature but I live in the city so there isn't much nature around me. I wonder if I stopped listening to music, maybe I would notice the little amount of nature around me. Just a thought. :)

Music maybe 25% of the time.

Music maybe 25% of the time. Don't want to get too used to it because none of the races I do are mp3 player legal, so why get used to running hard or long with tunes if it won't help when it's important. So instead I run with music when I feel like the little extra rhythm and power.

I used to, but I changed my

I used to, but I changed my mind on it about 2 months after I started running. Now I don't listen to music unless I REALLY need a pick-up, and then it's from the speaker on my phone.

1. as a road runner it's WAY more important to hear traffic to me.

2. I like to greet other runners whether it's another lonely runner in the morning or a pack of people in a race, and it really pisses me off when my cheerful "Good Morning!" is ignored because someone had earplugs in and didn't hear me.

In fact, and not to go off on a tangent here, it really irritates me when people don't respond whther they have earplugs in or not. Bikers seem to be worse than runners (I've only ever met 2 bikers who had the decency to return my greetings... the rest usually ignore me), but there are plenty of runners out there who are jsut as bad.

maybe they are grumpy because I'm obviously enjoying myself and have the breath to chat while they are huffing and puffing along with their long, inefficient strides that cause them knee and hip pain? the world may never know... ;)

I'm with you Smelph on the no

I'm with you Smelph on the no response thing. That really irritates me, luckily most of the people who run when I do in my neighborhood will at least say hi or wave. As far as my music, I only play it when I am pushing my stroller because my stroller holds my iphone for me. I never run with headphones because I like to hear everything around me. My iphones internal speaker does not get loud either and often the noise of the traffic around me drowns it out, sometimes to where I can't even hear it. Usually it is just barely there in the background for me though. I can still hear squirrels running on sidewalk in front of me so I don't think I miss out on nature much.

No music, no sunglasses, no

No music, no sunglasses, no watch, no clothes (just kidding) when barefoot running.

Used to run with music, but too many close calls with cars, even out in the middle of nowhere.

I like listening to nature and making my footsteps as quiet as possible.

Some have recommended listening to fast music if you want to increase your cadence.

I am off and on with the

I am off and on with the music also (pun intended). Since reading KenBob's book I have been running mostly without in order to know how quietly I am running. Although, when people tell me I should not run or ride my bike with my ipod, it just makes me all the more intent on doing it. I also ride often without a helmet.

I like listening to dead hillbillies and blue grass.

Per

I'm one of those who bang

I'm one of those who bang their head with some Metallica ! I always bring with me all my fav' songs. I'm running a lot with the red hot chilly peppers by now.

I don't play the music too loud for safety and when I'm in the middle of nowhere I almost turn it off.

I didn't know that mp3 could be forbidden for some races. Hope I can bring my iPod on my first race in December.

Before I embraced running BF

Before I embraced running BF and minimally, I did a lot of skating, during which I'd listen to music via clip-on earphones. I'd wear a rear-view mirror on my sunglasses to watch out for vehicles coming from behind. When I started running BF, I avoided using my audio device, so as to not drown out the sound of my footfalls. At some future point, I might start listening to audio while running.

I used to listen to music

I used to listen to music most of my runs when I'm by myself. If I jog with a friend I never do so I can carry somewhat of a conversation. But on my own its my time to jam to Metallica! I rarely listen to music otherwise, just sometimes in the truck. I havent done a lot of trail running but I'd probably leave em off on a trail to enjoy nature more. Ever since starting bf though I only listen to music on warm ups or cool downs, and focus on listening to my foot strike or playing the metronome to get my pace up to 180. I like to have my phone on me anyhow for emergencies, so I'm not carrying anything extra except the headphones. I got wireless bluetooth ones so I dont have to mess with wires, and it has controls built into them to control windows media player so I can just leave the phone in the holder clipped to my shorts or in a vest pocket or wherever.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts