Trying to think through the idea of a treadmill

Reactions: happysongbird
I think we're the normal ones, those other people are just plain weird. :D
Maybe it seems harder because we really don't want to do it. The only time I enjoy the dreadmill is if I can look out the window and see a blizzard, or if I have a really good movie playing so I can tune out.
Ram, I also have the Proform (from Sears). My wife and I use it as little as possible (less than 100 miles a year).

Dama ran a marathon distance on a treadmill one day, or was it longer, I can't remember. Did she mention that here? Dama rocks!

Even a month ago, I would have shuddered at the possibility of using a treadmill, but the weather is limiting me. Partly, it is the cold, partly the slipping, and partly the lack of light. I know I'm wimpier than some of you, plus my husband gets stressed out worrying about me out in the elements. I now think, just give me a hamster wheel, anything, I need to run, even if it is in circles! Then, I read the stories and threads about injuries from treadmills, as well as them bouncing or heating up. Is there no hope for me here trapped in the house?

Good on ya if you can do the 'mill. I get bored to death on any indoor cardio equipment (you'll note that in the weekly mileage postings, I limit myself to 10 mins on the rowing machine). Though I understand your sensitivities - while certain things like lighting and clothing changes can help, the slip/fall potential coupled with spousal agita are harder to address. I trust there are no indoor tracks nearby? (which - IMO - are second only to treadmills when it comes to boredom).

Good on ya if you can do the 'mill. I get bored to death on any indoor cardio equipment (you'll note that in the weekly mileage postings, I limit myself to 10 mins on the rowing machine). Though I understand your sensitivities - while certain things like lighting and clothing changes can help, the slip/fall potential coupled with spousal agita are harder to address. I trust there are no indoor tracks nearby? (which - IMO - are second only to treadmills when it comes to boredom).
I do have an indoor track close. I find the tighter curves and slight tilt at the corners tweak my knees if I want to run more than a couple of miles. I am also fed up with the walkers walking 3-4 across the whole track. Having to deal with that every time I pass them gets obnoxious. I used to run what little I could on that track regularly. I used to go to the gym much more often. I find I enjoy using my spinning bike at home much more, so think it might be the same with a treadmill. My husband is trying to talk me out of it, though. He says we'll be able to work things out for me to run outside more. He likes me to be safe, but I don't think I could ever describe him as agitated. He's about as cool headed as they come. :)

I bough the treadmill last Spring, I used it a bit but the weather quickly changed and there was no need. With the goals I set for myself this year, and short winter days/family, I really don't have a choice but to use it. I tolerate it as a means to an end, without it there's no way I'd be able to be prepared for a March half. Plus, I live in the land of no hills (I normally hill train by running an overpass up and back) so the treadmill let's me do some hill training.

This shows the difference in pace from treadmill to the road. (Yes, I now keep a spreadsheet of all runs, races, etc.) Though I do usually run hills on the treadmill, even on 0 grade any pace under 8:30 feels like a full sprint.

Jan. week 2.JPG

Ramz, I've noticed the same thing on the treadmill (same effort equals slower pace) I did try to calibrate mine. I measured the length of the belt as closely as I could, and then I put a piece of tape on the belt and let it run at 10 mph while counting the number of times the tape went by in one minute. I did the math and found out it was off by a little over 5% on the slow side.

I do alot of winter running on a treadmil. Couple thing....Some belts do get hotter than others, and some belts are surprisingly rough. If barefoot you may have to wear socks and work up to barefoot distances gradually. You should always run with the incline set at 1 % (even if you're doing a flat run) to simulate road friction and wind resistance. And yes, treadmil speed and real world speed are not the same. So I take the speed numbers on a treadmil with a grain of salt. I just go by time and perceived effort. Like others, an 8 min/mile pace on the road seems fairly easy, but set the treadmil at an 8 min pace and it feels like a sprint.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts