treatment of blisters (healed but tender feet)

shawshank

Barefooters
Jun 8, 2011
I have two blisters on my feet. I peeled the skin off of one, but the "new" skin underneath is a bit tender. My other foot is also tender. I am taking two days off before my next BFR. (I am just starting out so I ran 6 mins Sun, 7 mins Tues, & 12 mins Fri.)

Any tips on how to care for tender feet w/ newly healed blister skin?

thanks. s/s.

I would let them air out as

I would let them air out as much as possible. That skin will thicken, and those blisters will become a distant memory.

Hey Shawshank,I'm the self

Hey Shawshank,

I'm the self designated blister King!

When I first started out barefoot running I got some crazy blisters. I even had one I nicknamed Frankenblister because it was like a compilation of blisters inside blisters inside blisters...hideous. All in the same spot due to a form problem I was having.

After much experimentation, here's what I learned:

-Blisters are training tools if we choose to use them. We get them when we're doing something wrong or doing too much.

-If you can leave the blister intact, including the dead skin I would leave it alone. The only time I popped blisters is if they were too painful for me to walk on. Also, I noticed that if I trimmed the dead skin "roof" off of the blister the pink skin underneath was very sensitive for much longer. If I left the roof on the skin underneath had a little bit more protection and could sort of aclimate to being in contact with the ground with less pain. Sometimes you just have to ignore how soft and inviting that white piece of skin looks after a shower.

-It will get better with time and as you fix your form or whatever is causing the blister.

-Gorilla glue is a pretty good covering for some tender skin if you can't leave the blister roof on, or it somehow was torn off.

As a sidenote, please be careful to not ramp up too quickly. Everyone is different and some people make the transition easier than others, but it looks like you essentially doubled your run in less than a week. That may not be much as far as distance is concerned, but it could be a factor in your blister manufacturing process.

Cheers.

funny because I just peeled

funny because I just peeled off a bit of skin from a "dry" blister. it was just a flap of skin w/ no fluid. i've been lucky w/ not having serious problems w/ blisters.

but gorilla glue! wow, I finally get a chance to bust out my BFR kit (which has alcohol swabs, tweezers, crazy glue). I can't wait until I can casually drop that on someone who asks the same question 6 months from now! :)

thanks for the advice! s/s.

That's always a fun thread,

That's always a fun thread, SS (or booger picker, if you prefer). ;-) What do you keep in your BFR kit? Anyone want to start that thread?

Every little bit helps. 

Every little bit helps. ;-)

I've noticed that if I use a

I've noticed that if I use a pin to make a hole on the outside edge of the blister, roll the fluid out and cover the hole up with some nuskin or something similar, by the next day, I can't even tell I had one except that it will become pale and eventually wear through from running.

Once the blister becomes a lovely pocket for collecting road dirt when you run, I trim it, but don't try and rip it off with your fingers...you could rip into healthy skin.

So far, that's worked best for me. Leaving the fluid seems to take longer for it to heal on my feet.

-Jonny